ideas on the WWDC updates for Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Natsu, May 20, 2008.

1. Natsu macrumors member

any ideas on the new updates? like a camera added, slimmer model, larger HD, etc... I'm new to Ipod Touch and after looking at the specs, its not that great, comparing to Iphone. I want an Ipod touch cuz its slimmer than the the Ipod classics, bigger screen and the touch screen technology is really cool. I'd love Apple to update a camera inside, i'll be really cool.
    The reason why I'm not looking at iPhone is because I already have a phone and don't want to waste my money buying another one. Almost all my family member have an iPhone and they look really big and wide which i dont like. Plus, right now, I'm living in Thailand and AIS (like AT&T) is going to start selling the iphone in Dec and the price is going to be really high and i dont want to waste my money on that.

2. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I have ideas. I don't think the Touch will be touched for awhile though. Too much focus on the iPhone. If they do improve the Touch I think they'll wait for a date right before Christmas to introduce it.

I'd love to see it get Bluetooth connectivity. See my blog for a story I wrote on how useful bluetooth can make a portable media player.

These big screen players are perfect for photos. A camera makes perfect sense. Walmart.com is now selling a $69 player with a 1.3mp camera. Not an amazing camera, but will take pictures that fill it's screen. I think it needs to be original on the Touch though. Instead of plopping a lens on the back, hide it in the top edge. Incorporate 3x or so optical zooming. Make it 8mp. :)

3. Natsu thread starter macrumors member

Oh....lol i didn't know that.... sry, wrong time to post this threat.

4. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

How about we discuss features that could be coming realistically to the iPod at WWDC, aka, the new software update. We already know a lot about it but does anyone have any predictions for small software upgrades that are currently unannounced?

Personally, a simple and small feature I would die for would be the ability for WebClips to open in the current window. This is a simple option that could be included in settings. I dont like having multiple webpages open, so WebClips are currently useless for me, as having to open the webclip and do the several gestures to close the other webpage takes longer than opening internet and using bookmarks instead. For me, this feature would make the WebClips go from useless to highly useful.

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Ok, so possible things....

I'd love flash support, although that may come as a download from adobe.
    We know the calc is getting improved. I'll reserve judgement until I see it.
    I'd love a sleep timer, as well as a simple to set weekdays only alarm option. Perhaps a way to use a song as an alarm sound.
    An ebook reader? You know, with graphics support. Maybe even a built-in link to amazon.com's Kindle ebook site.

That'll be enough.
    4D

6. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Probably won't release a new Touch. However, you will probably be able to purchase the games that have been available on line for free and the free websites will disappear.

7. crunchb3rry macrumors newbie

There won't be any Touch updates at WWDC. Apple wants you to buy the iPhone.

8. kiwi031 macrumors member

I don't believe the Touch will see any hardware updates until at least September-October, and even then, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it doesn't get updated in early 2009 - MacWorld.....

The main 'update' or new feature to look for is the 2nd version of Apple's mobile OS and associated 3rd Party Apps which will add many more features!

The typical product cycle timeline for Apple's devices simply rules out any major upgrades to the Touch within 8-9 months of its inception in 3Q 2007. Try 12-18 months....

9. B. Hunter macrumors regular

ereader & PDF app

I hope that ereader and a PDF reader become available. Reading a PDF from mail does not cut it for me.

Everyone out there has ideas they would like. I would like to see these applications announced at WWDC.

10. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

The ability for the notes to be transferred to Apple Mail for copy + paste on my Mac. When I'm out an about I like to scribble a note out.

And print over Wi-Fi would be awesome.

11. dude963841 macrumors member

Printing, emails, attachments, photos , web pages,etc. over wifi would be a very good idea ( in gereral) and to boost airport and time capsle sales :apple:

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

It's unrealistic. The wireless printing still sucks with mac OS, why bother putting something even worse on the iPhone? And what are you gonna print? Notes?

This in an iPod, people. It's not a camera, it's not a GPS device. If you need one of those, go out and buy one. High resolution cameras with optical zoom? Are you serious?

Improvements at WWDC are more than likely going to be based on software and software alone. The iPhone getting a new 3G chip has nothing to do with the iPod line.

13. kleo macrumors regular

First since the iTouch is so thin and does not come with a cell radio i would pop a GPS chip in it ASAP. A larger batter and the additional chip wouldnt make a big difference in the thickness of the device due to its extremely thin profile already. I dont have an iTouch but i assume the location feature is practically useless with just the WiFi data.

Second i would love to see a 5mp camera put into the top center of the devices back.

This would make the iTouch a more powerful platform than it is now

14. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

I just want to see a change for the ipod player. When you have the music in coverflow and you leave it there, I want the coverart to flow to the song that is being played. When you do it right now, and the song moves to a new song, it still stays on the song that it was originally playing. Also I like to see coverflow for Movies and TV Shows. For TVShows, when you double tap on the artwork, it will flip over and show you the episode listing, just choose and it will play. Yes...I love coverflow -_-'

15. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

No. It's a handheld computing platform that happens to have iPod functionality. Similarly, the iPhone is a handheld computing platform that happens to have telephone capability.

Both are the same platform: the new Newton. Apple has just been smart and used already existing fads (music, mobile phones) to give people a reason to buy one.

Nobody has really managed to make a handheld computing platform that has mass appeal yet. This is Apple's attempt.

16. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yes, it's a computing platform. But it's not an every-single-existing-device-in-your-pocket system. If the plan was to make it a GPS device, 8 mp camera, VoIP phone, and all that other crap that people expect in the 2G, they wouldn't be branding it as an iPod. I don't think that people realize how much that would cost, either, especially with many expecting a price drop.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

this is NOT apples attempt, if it were it would be fully open. to USE its computing cababilites one must first sneak around apple and jailbreak. its a music player or more descriptivly a PMP as far as apple is concerned

18. reidjr macrumors member

1)It is fully expected a update will come out for the touch.
    2)The touch can reach far more people then the iphone can.So they will give it updates and tweek it.

19. aethelbert macrumors 601

No it isn't. It's fully (and pretty unrealistically) hoped for (beyond a firmware update, that is).
    This is expected to change pretty rapidly. Have you seen all of the service announcements in the past month?

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

1. in firmware only, we all know 2.0 is around the bend.

2. The touch is the little cousin of sorts to the iphone, it basically shows the capabilities without the phone connectivity, most ppl see it and think its the phone anyway. The phone is deffinatly apples flagship product when it comes to multitouch, the touch is a bit of a (fantastic) afterthought:apple:

21. JAYGEE macrumors member

JAYGEE

The only thing I want added to the iPod Touch (hardware), is an external speaker, so when I am playing games, on the 2.0 software, I want to be able to hear the game without having to use the headphones.

22. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

Volume Controls!

Side volume controls + iPhone 2 design cues = sale!

23. B. Hunter macrumors regular

Yes

Come on!!!
    There will plenty of goodies for the Touch at WWDC.
    The last thing Apple needs is customers mad at them again.

24. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

volume control + speakers + longer battery life + new design...

25. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

There may be plenty of 'goodies' (software), but by God it'll cost ya.

Software wise, I'd like to see the following in v2.0:

- Mail/Safari: Saving of a photo or attachment from Mail.app
    - iPhone OS: Copy & Paste
    - Safari: Tag/keyword searching within Safari.app (Spotlight search integration)
    - iPhone OS: Option to move the docks position on-screen
    - Homescreen: Option to change icon of webclip after adding clip to homescreen
    - iPhone OS: Option to have new mail alerts display in iPod status bar
    - iPhone OS: Option to enter CloverFlow view for Tv Shows/Movies
    - iPhone OS: Screensaver Option within Settings menu
    - Applications: iChat ported to iPhone (Apple)
    - Applications: Touch Fighter bundled (Apple - as previewed during the March 6th event)
    - Applications: TouchFx bundled (Apple - as previewed during the March 6th event) - possibly 'Photobooth-like' UI.

General announcements I'm hoping for within the WWDC conference:

- UK & Canadian iTunes Movie Rentals launched
    - Song prices reduced from 79p to 71p (as promised last year) - Store-wide

Revisions of hardware i'm hoping for:

- 64Gb iPod touch (SSD)
    - 3G iPhone (GPS)

R-Fly