Identify an upgraded 4,1 easily?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by flaubert, May 17, 2019.

1. flaubert macrumors regular

flaubert

Hi, I’m thinking of picking up a spare Mac Pro 5,1 to have on hand for parts in case anything goes south with my current single-processor 5,1. My current Mac Pro is a true 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 so I would like the spare to be the same, for maximum compatibility. However, it can be tricky to spot an upgraded 4,1, correct? I seem to recall that once you upgrade the firmware it identifies as a 5,1. Is there an easy, reliable way to confirm that a given machine is a 5,1 2010 hardware model without getting deep into pulling off heatsinks to look at processors, etc? I know that the 4,1 models shipped with GT 120 graphics cards, but I was hoping that there was a field in system report that I could inspect or have a prospective seller send me a snapshot of. Thanks for your help.

Kurt

2. tsialex macrumors 601

tsialex

Yes, there are. About This Mac > System Report > Hardware Overview > SMC Version:

MP4,1>5,1 = 1.39f5
    MP5,1 = 1.39f11

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 21.45.03.png

SMC versions are immutable. You can fake a case, fake a serial number, even fake a BootROM, but you can't change the SMC.

3. flaubert thread starter macrumors regular

flaubert

Thanks, tsialex! I should have known you would know this bit of arcana!

Kurt

4. mrtang42 macrumors member

You actually can move a 5,1 SMC chip to a 4,1 motherboard by soldering. Someone has done this before.

5. tsialex macrumors 601

tsialex

Yes, but this has to be professionally made with equipment that that costs over 4 digits, to replace a TCQFP-144 with fine pitch it's not something for the usual eBay/Craigslist faker. The costs of supplies alone make this anti-economical for backplanes and single CPU trays, but can be valid for dual CPU trays.

You can always check the MLB/LBSN label and use the 4 last digits (read about refurbished below) to identify exactly the backplane:

MP51 - LBSN_MLB - SPI.jpeg MP51 - LBSN_MLB.jpeg

early-2009: 1LTB, 1LTC, BH7A, DCVKA?

DCVKA? are the last 6 digits for 17 digits refurbished boards, the last digit is variable. Examples: DCVKAC, DCVKA6, DCVKAV, DCVKA9​

mid-2010 & mid-2012: BH9A, BH9B

6. MVMNT macrumors member

SMC, you can also visually identify a 4.1 and 5.1 CPU tray.