Idiot buys spot in line for $900

Discussion in 'iPad' started by deadwalrus, Mar 11, 2011.

1. deadwalrus macrumors regular

Hahahahhahah. I love it. Amazing how a small group of people can convince themselves not only that they must have an item on day 1, but that there are enough people like them that they should spend 24+ hours waiting in line to accomplish this "feat." How this could not be described as "cultlike," I do not know.

Also note that the iPad 2 release has not even made it to the frontpage of Google News. I can't even find a mention of it in my local paper, nor the local TV stations. The general public does not care -- at least not nearly enough to wait or even pay attention to those waiting.

The 100 or so waiting in line will get assuredly get an iPad. As will everyone else who shows up at some point this weekend. Apple certainly knows how to get free promotion.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703597804576194451692769480.html

2. auero macrumors 65816

A guy tried this with me on the iPhone 4 launch. He offered me $400 for my spot. I thought he was joking so I brushed him off.

He was serious. :(

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

That's one resourceful college student (and one really desperate purchaser). Yay, capitalism.

4. Rafterman macrumors 68000

If that guy's an iOS developer, it might be worth the $900 extra dollars to ensure he gets one.

5. iAmLegend macrumors regular

iAmLegend

If you can afford to buy someone's place in line for $900 - life is good.

6. iAmLegend macrumors regular

iAmLegend

Not to mention the articles all mentioned his app by name. I'd say that's $900 worth of publicity right there.

7. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

exactly. I was at the Lincoln Park store open and there were a couple devs showing off their app. it was an awesome app and I know they made sales while they were in line and the word of mouth marketing was priceless.

8. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

it would be funnier if the guy paid $900 for the spot, then went outside and smashed the Ipad in the parking lot.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Wow, judgmental much?

For everyone who thinks it's idiotic to pay someone a bunch of money for their spot in line, there's probably a dozen others who think it's idiotic to waste a day standing in line to buy an iGadget.

10. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

I'd hardly call him and idiot. He got his app plugged in to a news article and a better spot in line. While she got 900 dollars and could see her Lady Gaga concert. Win for everyone.

11. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Considering what happened late last night/early this morning, that's not really a surprise. There are certainly more important things going on in the world. Though, there may be mentions tonight, as they don't go on sale in stores until 5PM, I believe.

As for the woman in the OP, good for her. Except for the part about Lady GaGa. :eek:

12. patp Guest

exactly! everyone wins.

13. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yep. Investments take some kind of risk.

14. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

So why exactly is this person a so-called 'idiot'?

15. bluemonkeyguy macrumors 6502

SUPER *facepalm*

Because the iPad isn't a medical lifeline, it's a luxury that the idiot can wait for at the most of 1-2 days.

16. deadwalrus thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, good point. The guy is not an idiot -- the promotion is undoubtedly worth it. But, for the spot to go for $900, there must be many others seeking the spot -- presumably without the "promotion" agenda.

17. deadwalrus thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, many more important things are being covered by the local news. Including (in this order):

(1) NCAA tournament
    (2) Budget bill
    (3) "Suspicious object" found in Wal-mart parking lot
    (4) Earthquake
    (5) "Smoke alarm alerts apartment resident to suspicious fire"
    (6) New Burger King "Whopper Bar" grand opening.

I **** you not. These are the front page items. iPad 2 hasn't yet made the cut. I am just trying to put this into perspective people -- no need to line up for 8 hours. Most people don't give a crap about getting one tonight. Go plant a tree this afternoon, for the love of God.

18. leenak macrumors 68020

If you are a developer and its your job, it seems like it was worth it to him. He also had the money to do it. He also got some publicity. So seems like a pretty smart move.

19. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

20. bossxii macrumors 68000

Clearly because if others have a difference of opinion and don't think exactly alike they are idiots. Funny thing thing is those people usually name calling are those Android fans who find waiting in line for iDevices "idiotic" yet will troll every Apple related thread and yell about "open" and "freedom of choice".

Rather ironic!

People use things like "I have better things to do with my time"... really like troll tech blogs and forums? Ya that's productive use of time I would say lol. These forums are entertaining to say the least, I have all sorts of free time. I have a great job and don't need to work 100 hours a week to earn a living. I work to live, not live to work. My free time is just that, mine to whatever the hell I want!

21. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

If you had a business that relied on a product that could enhance your business and a small upfront cost could help you continue and/or grow this business, how is that idiotic? Sure it might be extreme and yeah he could probably get by just fine, but simply paying a cost to ensure or enable you to succeed is not in my mind, idiotic.

Even if this wasn't a developer, they have every right to spend the money how they see fit. People spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on luxurious items daily, are they all idiots as well?

22. bwthor macrumors member

There are lots of people who have absolutely no concept of money. $900 is most likely nothing to him.

23. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

No mention of the tsunami in Japan? Really?

24. mac jones macrumors 68040

Some people are just really addicted to the shiny objects ( Frodo style)

I sell stuff on ebay a lot, computers and cool gadgets of all kinds. Some times i'll get someone who is VERY insistant on shipping it to them fast. THey will call me on the phone and I can tell they are freaked out.

I sort of understand their plight being a junkie myself, but these folks are stressed. :D

Better this than drugs or booze......by far :)

25. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

smart marketing ... glad it worked out for both parties :cool:

but seriously ... Gaga?