idiots jailbreak and terminology guide needed please

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by academy, Nov 1, 2010.

1. academy macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have managed to sort out the problems I was having with email not being left on the server etc but would like to customise my iphone4 like I could with my 9700.

Is there an easy jailbreak guide to follow? (I could search I know but from what I have read you have to be carefull its from a trusted source, as I noob I have no idea who is!)

What are cydia, greenpoison, limerain, redsnow, SBsettings, winterboard etc and do the appear on the phone once jailbroke?

would I still be able to sync my phone with itunes (to add pictures, videos , playlists, apps etc) or would it automatically revert back to being erm...... un-jailbroke?

Cheers for any help in advance

2. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

Cydia is essentially the app store for jailbroken iPhones...it is the utility used for managing packages (apps, tweaks, themes, etc) and sources (the places those packages come from)

Greenpoison and Limerain are two different ways of actually jailbreaking your phone. Both will work fine, as long as all you want to do is jailbreak, and aren't planning on unlocking (if you are already on iOS 4.1, unlocking is currently not possible). If you do want to unlock, you need to already be jailbroken and then update/jailbreak using Pwnagetool

Redsnow is an app you install that unlocks your phone, but its compatibility is not widespread (there are firmware versions it won't work on)

SBSettings is a utility that puts all the most important toggles only a swipe away, wherever you are on the phone. It has many more features as well

Winterboard is the app that is used to theme the phone

The only thing that is installed when you jailbreak is an app that then goes forward and installs cydia for you. All other apps must be downloaded and installed from cydia

Hope this helps

3. Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

You can find answers to just about all of your questions in this forum.

Quick answers:

Cydia - the jailbreak version of the app store, this is where you get your apps for jailbroken devices

limera1n & greenpois0n - the software you run to jailbreak your device (mainly iPhone 4 running iOS 4.1)
    redsnow - for jailbreaking older devices on iOS 3.1

SBsettings, winterboard - jailbreak apps

Google & youtube - your best friends for finding answers to things you don't know

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Check my signature... it has a very good link.

5. academy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies everyone, going to give it ago I think

Thanks again