IE6 on the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by charlesbronsen, Aug 27, 2009.

1. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

hello all, A friend of mine has a security camera set up at his house which you can watch remotely thru internet explorer but not safari or firefox. Is there a way to get ie6 on the iPhone? Or would something like flip for mac work?
    Thanks.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nope. Internet Explorer development for the Mac ended with IE5, for crying out loud. This will never happen.

3. TheScappian macrumors regular

No even remotely possible in the remotest or remote galaxies to get Internet Explorer 6 on an iPhone

4. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

5. redman042 macrumors 68020

IE on the iPhone? You're kidding right? That would be like a Pizza Hut in Italy.

6. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

A friend of mine using a webcam and a wifi cam and uses an iPhone app to view both cameras, quite a nifty app. At the moment I can't remember the app but it only cost $5.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

"john, there's some pretty weird stuff going on outside. I saw some pigs flying around, lions and lambs are laying down together and, no joke, hell has frozen over."

"Hey man, that's crazy! In unrelated news, I got IE6 on my iPhone. Pretty sweet, no?"

8. charlesbronsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

Yikers:eek: *slowly backs out of the iPhone forum*

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

10. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Tell him to get SuperCam.

11. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Somebody on here recommended iCam to me, it works awesome. Try it out.

12. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

People are too harsh here sometimes, but don't be too afraid. I noticed that you have to have relatively thick skin to use the iPhone forum. People are generally nicer in the Mac-side of these forums.

Unless you can change the User Agent in MobileSafari, I don't think you'll be using your security camera from the iPhone... sorry.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

This is actually one of the more mild-mannered threads I've seen in here.

14. ibelonginprison macrumors newbie

*crying*

Jesus, now I have to explain why I'm laughing so hard I can't breathe. Thanks.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oh yeah. Head over to the Mac Applications forum. I'm sure everyone there will be nice in answering this question. :D

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This gets my vote for POTD!

17. borekk macrumors newbie

You can't get IE6 on your iPhone, but you could probably get a workaround to at least see the camera images/video. For example, you could open up your router so that you could Remote Desktop into your home computer. From there, go get an iPhone RDP app (like WinAdmin or something). Remote into the home computer and launch your IE on that machine....should be able to see it then. It's not as seamless as IE6 on an iPhone, but once it's setup it really isn't too bad at all. It'd just be a matter of launching WinAdmin, then the camera. Heck, you could even put the camera address into the home computer's startup folder so that all he has to do is log in via RDP....website (camera image) would automatically pop up.

Just a thought...

18. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

What's the camera model/website? Hard to offer suggestions without that info.

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Stuff that only works on one browser is usually crap. Find something better that can go on ANY browser. I'm pretty sure a lot of PC users use Firefox or Safari as well. All they have to do is open IE and the need is there.

20. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

+1000 (if we're talking about the OS X board)

I saw a thread on there about "Why do you use Dashboard" cause the OP didn't see the benefit.

People were all like "Man, I use currency converters, translators, you name it" to which I asked "But aren't these things better done online, and faster, and don't waste resources leaving an app running 24/7? Are there any other cool uses for dashboard?"

To which the universal response was "****. GTFO. DIAF."

21. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    ^^ For the record I find Dashboard pretty redundant also. I've loaded it with all sorts of goodies - guess what, never use 'em. Just can't beat a browser.

22. charlesbronsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Waaaaay too many kids and self-centered types around here.

The OP asked a simple question: how to view a camera feed that's usually seen via IE6.

If you have a spare PC, you could use this method to rebroadcast the feed. Not sure if it requires a jailbroken phone or not.

24. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

What camera make/model is it? Or what website do you use to view it? Perhaps there is a workaround, but we need more info to help. For instance, a simple user agent switch might work (for which a jailbroken iPod would be necessary).

25. charlesbronsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

I will get the particulars tomorrow.

I will also look into that. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.