Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poat84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
Does that mean no new iPhone is comming out in summer?

weeman

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2007
Orange County, CA
Firmware 3.0 will be released with the version 3 iphone this summer...and that is when we will be able to download firmware 3.0 for the 1st gen and 3g iphones.

afornander

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Apple hasn't said anything about a new hardware update, personally im not holding my breath...

randomusername

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
did they not announce 2.0 and the 3g at the same time? i could have sworn that they did.

They released them at the same time. 2.0 was revealed in March '08 but a release date was announced at WWDC '08 in June along with the 2nd Generation iPhone.

TheBriman

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
Washington
I personally think that there will be one, I know that I drain the battery on mine very quickly, so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see a update that speeds up the processor, and improves battery life. But hey I would be just as happy if they waited a year so I could afford to get the new one.

D-Jam

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
Chicago, IL
I still believe at the most they'll make a 32GB iPhone or maybe some new color backing.

I more believe they're going to hold out on a massive hardware update until the exclusivity contract runs out. Come on...if you had a hot new product and in a year you can put it out on ALL carriers, wouldn't you wait?

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Apple hasn't said anything about a new hardware update, personally im not holding my breath...

Why would they say anything? that would just kill their iphone 3G sales, everyone will stop buying it and wait for the new one.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
There will for sure be a refresh to the hardware line this summer.

As I said in the another thread -

- New matte body. Though generally the same size and shape
- 32 gig model is very likely
- new colours is very likely
- maybe better camera
- maybe better battery
- maybe 'invisible' upgrades to the memory and clock speed to match the 2nd gen Touch

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
I still believe at the most they'll make a 32GB iPhone or maybe some new color backing.

I more believe they're going to hold out on a massive hardware update until the exclusivity contract runs out. Come on...if you had a hot new product and in a year you can put it out on ALL carriers, wouldn't you wait?

NO. They must keep it with one carrier or they lose control aspects of price control. Iphone will remain with only AT&T in this country. Hardware will be coming this summer. 32-64 GB, new camera (video), battery upgrade, maybe new case design. Just my 2 cents worth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.