IF a 32GB iPhone comes out in January...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by the1payday, Dec 21, 2008.

1. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

Will those of us who already own an iPhone 3G be eligible to get it at the subsidized price or will we have to pay the unsubsidized price? Will we even be able to buy at all?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I'm pretty sure they will let us. Probably at like a $400 price or something with another 2 year contract. (Until you want to upgrade to the next iPhone)

3. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

4. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

Probably. Like said before, you'll probably just have to extend your contract to 2 years again.

5. DanielJvdBerg macrumors regular

What is up with you people buying a phone in July 2008, and then buy the same phone, but only more storage for at least $300, while there is going to be a whole new iPhone in summer.

Crazy...

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

No... it doesn't work that way for any other phone. There's no reason for the iPhone to be special. You have the phone for the duration of your contract... if you want something else, be it a flip phone or another iPhone, you pay the unsubsidized price. Even if they'd let you extend your contract, the carrier would still be taking a huge hit as your previous subsidy will not have been paid off yet.

7. TheMBC macrumors 6502

The only real reason iPhone customers were allowed to "cancel" their contract and start anew in the July was because the iPhone wasn't subsidized... so you better believe that AT&T will NOT allow you to get any new iPhone at another subsidized price whether it be in January or next June/July.

Now, if you want to buy one now and then in two weeks a higher capacity one comes out and it lowers the prices of the models currently available, I'm sure they'll allow you to get the higher-end model for the same price, or some sort of rebate.

8. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Correct. No worries though, because there won't be any 32GB iPhone!

9. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Your so certain because...?

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Sure there won't. Just like 3.5" hard drives will never have a gigabyte of space. Who needs all that?!

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Last February when they released the 16GB, the price was $599 and didn't require a new contract. I bought one and was able to keep my same two year contract that I had since the day of the iPhone release.

This year, I'm sure they will allow the same thing. Their goal is to make even more money, that is the point of releasing a higher capacity phone. If they require a new two year contract, many people won't go for that.

I will upgrade if there is no need for a new two year contract.

12. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

I can see where he is coming from. The iPhone and iPod Touch both have room for two chips. The iPod Touch uses both for memory (making it easier and cheaper to get to 16gb, or even 32gb) and the iPhone uses one for the phone and one for memory. A 32gb Touch uses 2 16gb chips, while a 32gb iPhone would have to use one 32gb chip, thus making it more expensive.

What I'm saying is that I feel that if there is a 32gb iPhone, there will be a greater price gap. I'm thinking 150-200 between the 32gb and the 16gb.

13. the1payday thread starter macrumors 6502

the1payday

So theoretically if the prices were as follows:

Subsidized iPhone
    8 GB $199
    16 GB $299
    32 GB $399

Unsubsidized iPhone
    8 GB $399
    16 GB $499
    32 GB $599

then could those who already have the iPhone 3G now grab the 32 GB at the $599 price? By the way, I'm not saying that's my price guess of what they will be, I'm just using it as an example.

And to the earlier poster about wanting to buy another phone so soon when there will be a hardware update most likely in July. You can put the iPhones on eBay and almost always break very close to even on the price of a new one. I've done it several times and actually made some money on it while I was at it.

14. aethelbert macrumors 601

Those prices were not subsidized. The current ones are.

15. Daveecee macrumors regular

Even with the cheaper 32GB nand chips going into mass production soon?

16. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

Going into production, not in production. I think we might see a 64gb touch at Macworld, and a 32gb iPhone (along with a remodel) at WWDC.

17. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

Ya that sounds realistic, should be right.

18. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

But you have to account for the fact that 16gb chips were in production about 9 months before they were introduced. So if a 32gb iPhone is announced, it'll either be really expensive or come at a later date.

19. Daveecee macrumors regular

So if I were to be eligible for an iPhone upgrade say, tomorrow, you all honestly think there's no point in waiting until Macworld Expo?

20. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

I'd wait. In the end, we're just nobodies. We really don't know what's gonna happen. Apple could throw us all of and drop prices while introducing a large capacity. It's all speculation

21. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I bought a 8g yesterday for 399.99 at At&t and had to extend my contract. I sold my black 16g 3g to a buddy because i switched to Verizon for the Storm (worst 24 hrs of my life) and when i went back to at&t i had to pay 399.99 but i didnt mind because i love the iphone. Also the STORM is TRASH.

22. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

Cheers to that.

23. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm a little confused why people seem to think that the 8 GB will be kept around if a 32 GB drops next month. Apple has rarely (never) kept around 3 capacity models for iPhones/iPods. If 32 GB is announced, it will take the present 16 GB price, and the 16 GB will be reduced to the present 8 GB price.

More on topic, no, current 3G users will have to pay the unsubsidized price. As others have said, the original iPhone users were grandfathered in becaause there was no subsidized price when we bought the original iPhone. AT&T's not going to let that **** slide again.

24. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

it takes alot of time for Apple to get the chips ordered, recieve the chips, and then intergrate them into their manufacturing process (they need to make new backs for the iPhone that say 32gb, new packaging, new advertisements, possibly rework the interior of the iPhone depending on the memory, etc)
    even once they mass produce that memory, it will take time to get it into an iPhone

if your really lucky, you might see an announcement. But no actual product for a while still

25. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/ho...cmp=AIC-WWW-NAUS-BUYNOW-HEAD-IPODTOUCH-080910

i see 3 "capacity models" there

but Apple never has 3 capacity models, do they?