Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Hm... under close inspection both the included charging puck and the charging puck attached to the Apple magnetic charger have small scratches and nicks/ pits in the white surface. However, the bottom of my watch is flawless. I highly doubt it's from debris as both my watch and charger are pristine when I attach them together. This must just be a normal occurrence for this type of charging.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Just wondering....
Are people attaching their Watch to the puck, and then turning on the wall socket, or attaching to a puck that's already powered? If the latter, is it possible that a small amount of arcing is occurring before the Watch makes full contact with the puck?

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Just wondering....
Are people attaching their Watch to the puck, and then turning on the wall socket, or attaching to a puck that's already powered? If the latter, is it possible that a small amount of arcing is occurring before the Watch makes full contact with the puck?
That could be. I thought it would be worse attaching the watch first and then the cord to the outlet. Not to mention it seems inconvenient and rather ridiculous especially if you use Apple's magnetic charging dock like me. Having to plug and unplug the dock every time beats the purpose.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Here in the UK, wall outlets have an on/off switch, so my charging lead is always connected, but I don't turn on the power until the Watch is sitting on the puck.

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
I'm not going to make any grand claims here. I was just slightly burned. I took the watch off the charger, and immediately upon resting it on my wrist, I heard sort of a slight click and a quick pain. Upon reflexively throwing the watch, I found a small red mark with a white mark in the shape of the watch head surrounding it.

Just out of curiosity, how long have you owned your Watch?

I use a Spigen Nightstand for my Watch and my charger is always plugged in because it would be difficult to reach down between my bed and table every night to plug it in after attaching. After only a month of use, the back of my Watch and the charging puck look brand new.

TxWatch

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Just wondering....
There's no arcing with induction charging because there are no exposed electrical contacts. The plastic surface of the puck is an insulator and the ceramic back of the watch is an extremely good insulator.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Just spent 45 minutes on the phone with Apple's safety department. They're kicking it up to the "engineering team" now. They said something about capturing the product or something - essentially they want to take my watch and charger and they'll give me a brand new one as a replacement so they can directly get to the bottom of this. My personal conjecture is I had some sort of debris between the watch and charger. I can't really think of a scenario where the middle of the watch or charger would heat to the point of the plastic coating being melted off without some sort of other intervention.

Either way, their safety team is very thorough and I was incredibly surprised and pleased by the protocols they were following.

-I released all liability several times, no lawsuit is happening or even a consideration
-I believe I could've done something to "spark" the incident
-I continue to use the watch and I'm quite happy with it.

Again, no motives. This happened exactly as described and I really do appreciate all of you not immediately trying to discredit this incident and a big credit goes to Apple for having a pretty significant and involved product safety department that actually can openly communicate with the engineers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.