If a new iPhone releases soon, will you get it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrGadget28, Mar 16, 2009.

1. MrGadget28 macrumors regular

I just bought my iPhone last month. Now I've been hearing rumors about a new iPhone releasing, but I don't see why Apple would release one so soon when the 3G hasn't even been out for more than a year.

Personally, I could care less about MMS, copy/paste and a video recorder. I never use those things so it doesn't matter to me.

I just hope they keep updating iPhones when the new one releases.
    I for one, won't be getting it since I recently bought the 3G.

2. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I cant wait to get the new iPhone!!! Can June/July get here already!

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

4. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I doubt the new one will release until June/July. Phil already said that is the product cycle. Last year at this time they announced iPhone 2.0, and released the new one in June/July. We should expect no different this year. Not sure why there is so much speculation, they are following EXACTLY the same trend as last year, and everyone thinks it means something different.

I know you didn't say they'd release a new one tomorrow, you just said soon. So if your definition of soon is June/July, then I suppose you're on the right track...

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i'm still with the 2G iPhone.

i MIGHT get a 3G when the new iPhone comes out.

i'm happy with this. and edge speeds aren't slow - i have wifi everywhere i am for the most part. if the 3.0 firmware doesn't apply to older iPhones, it's still fine

i mean... with jailbreak i don't really need all of the rumored 3.0FW upgrades. i rarely need to copy and paste. and when i do. there's clippy!

7. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Here is my plan. 3.0 comes out....I unjailbreak it, install 3.0 from iTunes....Take my phone to Apple Store...make up something, they give me a shiny new one, install 3.0...now my white 16g will be fresh and new to me all over again like day 1. Then the new phone comes out later mid year...I get it around Xmas.

8. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

I've been waiting until now to buy an iPhone.

Was tempted with the 3G, but thought I'd hold out for another year (current phone was still only 3 months old).

Can't wait till June/July!!!!

9. MrGadget28 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I was using EDGE today and it's fast. I use EDGE to help the battery.

If this is true, then expect a new iPhone to release every year. Next summer of 2010, a fourth generation iPhone will probably release.

I don't think many changes will be made to the new iPhone. I read on CNET that it's just a new $100 iPhone and another iPhone with video recording.

If I had the original iPhone, it wouldn't be worth it to me to upgrade to the 3G.

I'll keep my 3G until my contract ends in 2 years. :)

10. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

People like you pi** me off. YOU are the reason that companies stop replacing phones that NEED to be replaced.

I cannot believe you people continuously come onto this board and brag about how you are screwing Apple and essentially screwing all of us. That is about the dumbest thing ever. What are you, like 12? Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. What a scam artist.

11. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

I'd get it but Apple would have to do a vast improvement over the current iPhone. I'm currently considering the Nokia N97 for my next major phone purchase unless I can get a Palm Pre that happens to be GSM with North American 3G frequencies... (yeah I'm dreaming I know).

12. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I don't have an iPhone...depending on the improvements, I may get the new one, or I may get the current one. I'm not due until June to get one anyway, as that's when my Alltel contract runs out.

13. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Are you done?

14. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Id really like a removable battery on this one! I can hope!

15. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

That would be great, but I doubt it happens.

16. MrGadget28 thread starter macrumors regular

The Nokia is coming out unlocked (GSM) in a few months but will not be available to any US carriers. It may never come to the US.

I won't get it, though. It looks nice but I'm sold by the iPhone' s multi touch.
    I think the Palm Pre might have a good chance at beating the iPhone when it releases.

From the specs, I the only improvement I saw was a video recorder, which can be done by jailbreaking anyway.

17. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

mmm... the palm pre IMO isn't that impressive to me. it seems like... too bubbly haha

18. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I'll definitely buy one. My original iPhone is almost dead :(

The one thing that I really want, but probably no one else does, is for Apple go go back to the old pricing method. I'd rather pay $400 up front and $40/mo than $200 and $50/mo. I don't like being locked to AT&T for two years at a time, that's why I'm still on my original iPhone.

19. joekun macrumors regular

I've had my 3g since launch, and today I was trying to think of what hardware upgrades they could make this year to get me interested in an early upgrade, but I can't think of ANY. I'm looking forward to 3.0 details though.

20. MrGadget28 thread starter macrumors regular

I paid $330 for my 16GB iPhone 3G. That's the most I've ever spent on a cell phone. With taxes, my monthly bill is nearly $100.

You're lucky enough to be getting $50 a month. I have the Best Buy insurance ($15/mo) that guarantees me a new phone if this one gets damaged.

21. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Sadly I think I would "have to" buy the new one. It's my curse to have the latest gadget. I'm psyched for tomorrow. The only problem is that I will be in school when they start the announcement so I'll be checking my phone lol trying not to get it confiscated. It's worth it. :)

22. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Sorry for my ignorance, but are you saying the 3.0 might be able to go on the current 3G?
    If the new iPhone has everything I like, I might get it and sell my 3G on ebay or something. I might even unlock it hoping it will sell for more money.

23. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Hey, he might end up with refurbished one with way more scratches than the old one. :D

24. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

I just got my 3rd iPhone a month or two ago. I'll probably upgrade to the new one eventually depending on what new features it has. Having not seen it I'm not that excited about it, yet.

25. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, you're an animal!!!! The companies ahh replace ahhhh crap!