If a new MBP comes out next year ...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hackum, Dec 1, 2009.

1. hackum macrumors regular

do you think it will have a better display or better design than the current one? Or will the changes mostly be around the CPU performance (processor, video card etc ...)

The thing is I am shopping for a new laptop right now and the current line of MBP is good enough in terms of computing power for my needs. So I don't know if I willl benefit from waiting.

Is it likely that the new MBPs will be more expensive than the current ones or roughly the same price?

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They'll be the same price and won't have any major exterior design changes.

3. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

How do you know?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Because Apple changes the prices on their machines once in a blue moon, they just dropped the prices, and the unibody design is in the middle of its lifespan. The next big thing is the addition of Arrandale processors.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Because they just lowered the price so there would be no idea to raise it again and not really a reason for it as component prices are lower than they were in June. New design is unlikely because all Macs excluding MacBook are aluminum now.

6. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

7. alent1234 macrumors 603

apple's new strategy seems to be to have a few price points and upgrade the hardware a few times a year and keep the same price points.

the new 32nm CPU's are already in production for a 1Q 2010 release. The last time i bought a PC during the holidays was my first PC ever in 1997 or 1998. Come early next year Intel releases new CPU's with MMX. and they have done this ever since. sell the old junk during the holidays and release the new tech early the next year. Nvidia used to be on a similar schedule. New release in 1Q, update release in 3Q but it got screwed up with delays over the years.

the new 32nm CPU's are going to add a lot of new instructions and graphical capability

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There is no way for anyone to know, but there are plenty of good guesses. I agree with the thoughts above, a spec upgrade seems to be the likeliest of options.

9. vaderhater245 macrumors 6502

10. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

It's definitely a possibility but no-one can say for sure. If the 13" gets a 1366x768 display it would be a downgrade in my eyes though (less vertical resolution on a display with fairly low resolution anyway). 1600x900 would be better, but is unlikely.

11. hackum thread starter macrumors regular

12. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Just wanted to add a curiosity to this thread...do you guys think the price will increase if the arrandale gets added?

13. ttran88 macrumors regular

I think the price will stay the same, even though they are spending less to produce them. I think customers who didn't care for arrandale, would not buy it and just buy the old version for the lesser price if they increased the prices and they would lose customers.

14. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

no price changes, no display changes, no design changes.

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Nah, Arrandale is quite cheap, from 225$ to 332$ and Apple pays even less.

16. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I hope they have different colored aluminum unibodies.
    : )

17. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

I actually think that would be a pretty big selling point. I know a lot of people love the unified look of the all aluminum lineup but different colors would certainly add something to the line - not just a black option. However I highly doubt it will happen.

My guess is we will see Arrandale, some form of ATI card - all this talk of using strictly Intel IGP is insane, Apple is not stupid - people will not buy the product if they take a step back like that.

We could see 16:9 but I would put that in the more unlikely category along with higher screen rez and blu ray. All would be welcome but I dont think they will happen.

I also do not see lightpath coming in Q1.

It would be interesting if they pulled the optical drive, added a larger battery, and threw in quads into the 15 and 17 but again, too radical. Apple moves in slow increments.

18. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I'd love a red aluminum unibody.. I am looking to buy one of those snazzy speck cases for my current MBP sometime soon. Going to get my ram upgrade first today.

19. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I honestly can't see them updating the design of the Macbooks as all have been refreshed recently.

The only change there will be is the new architecture and spec upgrades. Even that is at a push as most are pretty spec'd now

20. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I would like to see a side-button power on feature. Opening the MBP to turn it on when I use it at home with an external monitor sucks. I would like to just set it down, plug it in, and push a side button and have it turn on. Thoughts?

21. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Like how old macs had a power button on the keyboards?

22. psingh01 macrumors 65816

So what happens when you put the laptop in a backpack? You have to set it on it's side to get it in. I see lots of inadvertant power on/off.

23. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

True. Hrm GOOD point. Maybe have a sort of button lock feature?

24. Colton534 macrumors member

Really? it sounds to me like the only thing changing in this new MBP is the cpu and GPU...? you'd think they'd throw some sort of design change in there... any thoughts?

25. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I dunno about design changes, but I like everything Apple brings to the table in that respect. I wanna see this Tablet that everyone is yacking about lately.
    Well when the pics of it get leaked.