If an email sends, does that mean the address exists?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by applefan289, Jan 26, 2012.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I am asking because I logged in to iCloud from a browser, and had to send someone an email, but am not 100% sure it is their email. So would the email not go through if the address did not exist?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You don't have any guarantee that it exists. Often a mail will bounce back, but even that isn't guaranteed.

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

What generally happens is the email will appear to send, then some time later (generally within a few minutes), an automated response will be sent to your inbox from the email client you tried to send the message to (eg. Yahoo, Gmail, etc), saying the email address does not exist and could not be delivered. If you don't receive a message like that, then it's probable (but not entirely possible) the email address exists and you've sent someone else the email.

4. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

I am positive that, if it in fact did go through, the right person received it (because no one else would have the domain they have).

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

Doesn't mean you got the right mailbox. I have my own domain, and set up several mailboxes on it. One of them I forgot about, and - um - my 1st realization is when I got a "box full" message. Ooops. Luckily it was (almost) all spam. And even luckily I had left the max size for that box fairly small.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

A domain could have a catchall email address that would receive mail sent to "anything"@thedomain.com.

7. dknightd macrumors 6502

If the domain no longer has a mail server, some mail systems will tell you there was an error - some will not. I don't know how apple icloud mail server is configured. Try this, send an email to a completely random address that is unlikely to work i.e. advigh@ldbprilgo.com. See if it gives you an error.