If an email sends, does that mean the address exists?

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I am asking because I logged in to iCloud from a browser, and had to send someone an email, but am not 100% sure it is their email. So would the email not go through if the address did not exist?

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
What generally happens is the email will appear to send, then some time later (generally within a few minutes), an automated response will be sent to your inbox from the email client you tried to send the message to (eg. Yahoo, Gmail, etc), saying the email address does not exist and could not be delivered. If you don't receive a message like that, then it's probable (but not entirely possible) the email address exists and you've sent someone else the email.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
What generally happens is the email will appear to send, then some time later (generally within a few minutes), an automated response will be sent to your inbox from the email client you tried to send the message to (eg. Yahoo, Gmail, etc), saying the email address does not exist and could not be delivered. If you don't receive a message like that, then it's probable (but not entirely possible) the email address exists and you've sent someone else the email.
I am positive that, if it in fact did go through, the right person received it (because no one else would have the domain they have).

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I am positive that, if it in fact did go through, the right person received it (because no one else would have the domain they have).
Doesn't mean you got the right mailbox. I have my own domain, and set up several mailboxes on it. One of them I forgot about, and - um - my 1st realization is when I got a "box full" message. Ooops. Luckily it was (almost) all spam. And even luckily I had left the max size for that box fairly small.

dknightd

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2004
If the domain no longer has a mail server, some mail systems will tell you there was an error - some will not. I don't know how apple icloud mail server is configured. Try this, send an email to a completely random address that is unlikely to work i.e. advigh@ldbprilgo.com. See if it gives you an error.