IF an Improved iPhone comes out in June...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redman042, Feb 3, 2009.

  1. redman042 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2008
    #1
    ...how much money do you think I could get by selling my existing 3G on eBay? In June I'll still be a year away from upgrade eligibility. I can't justify paying full price for a new iPhone but perhaps half price would be reasonable, if I can subsidize the other half by selling my 3G. I would not pull the trigger until after Apple made the announcement, because I'm not taking any chances that they just release a slightly improved phone. I'm only upgrading if we're talking a faster processor and better OS performance.

    I'm just asking what people believe based on past experience and the current market for iPhone hardware without contracts.
     
  2. Sky Blue Guest

    Sky Blue

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2005
    #2
    Depends if it's 8GB or 16GB. If the new iPhone is 16GB and 32GB, you could probably get ~$200 for the 16GB. There'll be a loooooottt of others selling theirs.
     
  3. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

    Vandam500

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2008
    #3
    Hmm, good question. I got my 3G in September but am definetely planning on buying the new version in June/July (or whenever they release it). I am thinking on selling it for $450. I had to get an exchange for my previous one so now I basically have a brand new phone and taking extra good care of it:D So you can probably sell it around $450 and a little more if you unlock it and advertise it as unlocked.
     
  4. Gix1k macrumors 68030

    Gix1k

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2008
    #4
    Seriously, how much better can they make the iPhone?
     
  5. Sky Blue Guest

    Sky Blue

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2005
    #5
    No way will you get that much.
     
  6. dissdnt macrumors 65816

    dissdnt

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2007
    #6
    Probably a million different things. Did you say the same thing about the first powerbook, or even a b/w tv. There's always the next thing.
     
  7. Gix1k macrumors 68030

    Gix1k

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2008
    #7

    That was my way of talking myself out of it.
     
  8. dissdnt macrumors 65816

    dissdnt

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2007
    #8
    You can't resist Apple!! You'll be online like the rest of drooling like fools haha.
     
  9. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

    mlemonds

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2008
    Location:
    Lexington, KY
    #9
    NEVER underestimate the power of idiots.

    I was able to sell my white MB on craigslist for $1200 a week after the aluminum macbooks came out.

    never hurts to try.
     
  10. Gix1k macrumors 68030

    Gix1k

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2008
    #10

    Nah, i'll be in line waiting to get one like you fools were for the 3G.
     
  11. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

    Knowlege Bomb

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2008
    Location:
    Madison, WI
    #11
    Adopting one out of the first batch for a new model is pretty brave. Personally I wouldn't want to be part of the crowd clamoring back to Apple with all kinds of hardware defects and software glitches. I'll let the guinea pigs do their job. :D
     
  12. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

    brn2ski00

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    #12
    It all depends on what the newest iPhone will have different and/or better. switching from the 1st gen to the 2nd was a no brainer for me, as I wanted 3G speeds. I can also attest that I sold my 1st gen iPhone for a hefty price on eBay before I bought the 2nd which made the switch even that much easier.
     
  13. Gix1k macrumors 68030

    Gix1k

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2008
    #13
    If it's a major diff, i'm there. If not, just 32gb, minor styling. I'll wait a while.
     
  14. SmoothCaller macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2009
    Location:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    #14
    another fantastic what if thread. what if i came to macrumors and iPhone nano threads and what if / when threads didn't exist?
     
  15. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

    eplchamps0304

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2008
    #15
    if you sell it now you can get that. When a new iphone is announced the value of the 3g will drop.
     
  16. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

    brn2ski00

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    #16
    maybe, maybe not. I remember back around late June '08 / early July 1st Gen iPhones were still being sold for $300 on eBay (8GB model). So if that holds true, then we won't see much of a price drop on the 2nd gens.
     
  17. Gix1k macrumors 68030

    Gix1k

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2008
    #17

    Nothing else to do
     
  18. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

    eplchamps0304

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2008
    #18
    lets think...what could they possibly add to the iphone. I know they wont be adding a 5mp camera. If they add a 3.2 not good enough for me to spend more.
     
  19. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2008
    #19
    I've got 17 responses so far so it's obviously not a bad thread...so bite me. :D
     
  20. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2008
    #20
    It's a black 16 gigger. Just a few minor scratches, has been in a case the whole time.

    I agree with the other poster who said to jailbreak and unlock it first (which I won't do to my phone now, but if I sell it that's different). Might as well make it as marketable as possible. Help to stand out among the thousands of 3G's that will suddenly go on sale in June.
     
  21. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2008
    #21
    I've stated before I think the upgrade will just be better camera, better battery, other minor improvements. I don't expect an all-new chipset architecture. But the rumors are implying otherwise. I will only go through the hassle of an early upgrade, and selling my old phone, if it is truly a better performing phone (ie. faster processor and more multitasking). I am a heavy user of my iPhone for business and personal use, and I would definitely benefit from snappier OS performance and faster browsing, similar to what we are seeing in the Pre demo videos.
     
  22. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2008
    #22
    Yeah if you want top dollar your best bet is to sell it before the announcement of the new one.
     
  23. atszyman macrumors 68020

    atszyman

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2003
    Location:
    The Dallas 'burbs
    #23
    Why not just wait an extra year and get the 2010 updated model that has everything the one in June has + more?

    I really don't understand the concept of breaking your contract just to have the latest greatest phone. You'll be behind the times for a year at which point you can get the subsidized price on a better phone while everyone who bought this year is still under their contract.
     
  24. svndmvn Guest

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Italy
    #24
    [​IMG]

    I know Apple's not the company waiting for others to reply with alternative products (presumably better) and then react with its own products, as it's been demonstrated a 2.1 version is somewhere out there, I believe it has something different both aesthetically and from a CPU/GPU point of view. It's just that Palm/Toshiba(I'm also linking another iPhone wannabe,click on it)/HTC-Android aren't staying in the corner, the smartphone industry usually brings new phones pretty often, Apple just has to adapt.. I'm not buying (I hope) the next iPhone since I have a 16GB 3g, but I hope Apple releases something more than just a storage bump.
     
  25. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

    JPIndustrie

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2008
    Location:
    Queens, NY
    #25
    Just because your thread has 17 replies doesn't make it a good thread. It just makes you one of the first of many, many people who will post the exact same exact topic in the coming months.

    Trust us.
     

Share This Page