If Android Wear did everything the Apple Watch did...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by saintforlife, Apr 12, 2015.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

...would you still buy the Apple Watch? Let's assume Apple opens up all kinds of APIs to iOS/iPhone and an Android Wear watch is able to take advantage of the iPhone just like the Apple Watch can. Would you still pay $349 or $549 to get an Apple Watch or would you go with something like the Moto 360, for example?

2. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

The hardware would have to be better first...

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

No, because the apple watch app is baked into iOS and has a tighter integration than a 3rd party app.

4. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

5. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I wouldn't buy the Moto because I think it is seriously ugly.

6. Gooberton macrumors 65816

Android is trash. Do you realize Samsung has put out 6 smart watches.you read that right , SIX. throw everything at a wall and see what sticks, an article I was reading said, and I agree. They are such an incredibly bad company.

7. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Add up all android wear watches made by anyone and everyone and I bet they still sold less then apple watches this weekend.

8. kovey macrumors 6502a

This is such a bizarre question because it makes no sense. Samsung just shovels out **** and is happy with whatever fragmented user base they manage to scrape up. lol, I had no idea Samsung had six different watch failures already.

9. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

I agree that the hardware would need to improve.

But really the thing I think Android Wear has over WatchOS is Google Now. It's ability to present information to you is fantastic. It is very intelligent and the card presentation system is pretty wicked.

If Glances emulated that behavior, which serves you small bits of information at relevant times and ordered by importance while hiding irrelevant information, it would be much better. Overall, though, I think WatchOS is fantastic and Wear has some catching up to do.

10. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

This is kind of a pointless hypothetical, since Apple will always have an advantage over an outside system like Android Wear, which means they will never be on an even playing field with the Apple Watch. But I will say that none of the Android Wear devices that have been released so far really appealed to me in their design or functionality (although there are certainly some good ideas there).

11. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

The Moto 360 is a relatively nice watch, and I was tempted since T-Mobile does offer the 24-month no-interest EIP for their customers. But, by the time the news came of Android smartwatches to soon provide iOS support with their app (which was just around the time of the last keynote, I believe), it was already too late to even consider. WATCH FTW!

12. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Samsung have sold around 1.2 million smart watches since 2013 so not too bad for a nieche market. They also sell in excess of 200 million smart phones every year so I don't think they are scraping up customers.

13. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

Problem is...I know the watch will be supported by Apple. Samsung's first gear...not so much.

I've had two Samsung phones. The Vibrant and the Note 3. The Vibrant was one AWESOME phone until...they stopped updating. Note 3 was a frustrating mess.

I loved the try on session at the Apple Store. I couldn't really find a place to get the moto 360 to try on.

Now if the Moto 360 could run WatchOS...maybe. I'm just not the biggest fan of Android.