If announced 6/7/2010...when released?

thehopscotch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
US
I will be eligible for an upgrade on 6/7/2010. If the rumored iPhone is announced at WWDC on 6/7 (or sometime during the event)...are they generally available immediately or is there some lag time?

Thanks!

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
it may be a case of available on the site immediately and next day retail
Also, in the past...UPS trucks don't roll until after the keynote. Based on the way Apple & AT&T have set this all up in the past....I just don't see it happening that way.

Not to mention that SJ won't want people to leave WWDC the next day to get their iPhone.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
I say it will be a 1-2 week period and probably preorders will happen the next day. I'd be shocked if it was available same day.

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
I'm sure if they stock the stores with new iphones for a "suprise" launch on the 7th we'll hear about it as soon as they come in the store. A lot of Apple / AT&T employees on this forum. No way that many people can keep that big of a secret. To many people.

My guess is that if we dont hear anything new then it will be about the same time table as the ipad.

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY
It will most likely be on a Friday, just as the last three, so the 7th (or 8th, isn't the new phone always introduced on Tuesday?) is out.
I've been saying it may be on the 11th, with 4.0 being released the following Wednesday (16th), to save the strain on Apple's activation servers. If not the 11th, then the 18th with the 4.0 release on the 23rd.

At least, I hope they release 4.0 after the new iPhone to help alleviate the strain on the activation servers.
(Remember, once a new OS is installed, it must be activated again on Apple's servers, the same ones used to activate new phones)

BadaBing!!

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2010
Do you guys know if a good number of accessories will be available at launch ?
I have a trip to US and would like a car windshield mount for my new iphone and Tomtom GPS...

Uabcar

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
I don't see this making sense. They'll give the campers time to get sorted. ;)
I agree with this. We probably can't calculate the marketing bang they get out of all the publicity associated with people waiting in line to get these things on launch day.

They've got this down to a science now- as was demonstrated by the iPad. Make sure that there are just enough on hand that most people get them on day 1- but ensure quantities are tight enough that people feel compelled to wait in line.

silentsal

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2009
What bothers me though is AT&T blocked out all vacations for the month of June...which means why would they release the phone the 18th or 25th, that's 18 to 25 days of blocked vacation for no reason.

I really have no clue when it will be released but in order for the blocks to make sense, it should be released on the 7th, or at least that week sometime.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
What bothers me though is AT&T blocked out all vacations for the month of June...which means why would they release the phone the 18th or 25th, that's 18 to 25 days of blocked vacation for no reason.

I really have no clue when it will be released but in order for the blocks to make sense, it should be released on the 7th, or at least that week sometime.
They have to be vague enough to not give away the exact date to their employees.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado

Last year the iPhone went on sale June 19. AT&T also blocked all vacations for the month of June.