Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

...What would you like to see them apply their magic to?

Given their mantra that "it just works" what annoying hardware (domestic/business/transport..anything really) would you like them to revolutionise/re-imagine?

Maybe a vacuum cleaner that is instant on, totally mess free, empties itself etc

A washing machine that is linked to AirPlay and only goes on spin cycle when music/tv volume is at a certain level?

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Are you talking about molestation by the airline, it's staff or fellow passengers?

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

Are you talking about molestation by the airline, it's staff or fellow passengers?

The security process in general. The South Park episode "The Entity" comes to mind. Since 9/11 airport security has gotten excessive.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

Given their mantra that "it just works" what annoying hardware (domestic/business/transport..anything really) would you like them to revolutionise/re-imagine?

Maybe a vacuum cleaner that is instant on, totally mess free, empties itself etc

A washing machine that is linked to AirPlay and only goes on spin cycle when music/tv volume is at a certain level?

A way to cut 30 years off my current age and get my hair back. :D ;)

BTW, my vacuum cleaner IS instant on - just flip the switch. :cool:

ejb190

macrumors 65816
There was a David Pogue backpage article in MacWorld a number of years ago about this sort of thing. Less about what Apple should do and more about what areas need an Apple-like touch. I remember he specifically mentioned alarm clocks and airline flight confirmation systems.

But I vote for alarm clocks. How many times have you gone to reset the alarm and accidentally changed the time? Or set the alarm to PM instead of AM? Or ended up with a repetitive motion stress from hitting the minute button 45 times? And the small buttons are difficult to identify by touch in the dark.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I used to think that Apple should do like Microsoft, and help make automobile systems more user friendly.

Hmm...

But then, maybe not. The last thing I'd want is for all the buttons and knobs to disappear in favor of touch-only.

There's a lot to be said for having separate and easy-to-identify-by-feel physical controls for radio, A/C, wipers, etc.

Never mind :)

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
There was a David Pogue backpage article in MacWorld a number of years ago about this sort of thing. Less about what Apple should do and more about what areas need an Apple-like touch. I remember he specifically mentioned alarm clocks and airline flight confirmation systems.

But I vote for alarm clocks. How many times have you gone to reset the alarm and accidentally changed the time? Or set the alarm to PM instead of AM? Or ended up with a repetitive motion stress from hitting the minute button 45 times? And the small buttons are difficult to identify by touch in the dark.

Nah. My $20 alarm clock has done the job for years. The last thing I need is an iAlarmClock that costs $129 and is more complicated. OH and who cares what the damn thing looks like?

Remember, Apple only identifies hi-tech consumer markets being poorly served and then creates a iProduct for it. What's next for Apple? Smart HDTVs? Well that's pretty well saturated already. They might make one anyways, but only hard-core Apple fans will buy one.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA

If Apple decided to make a fridge, washing machine, dryer, etc. I would buy. :)

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

Boy, those alarm clock things are pretty tricky. :D :p

Suggest you get one like I have with speech recognition. Non of those pesky buttons.
http://www.moshilifestyle.com

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Weren't most made by others, slightly reshaped and had an Apple badge stuck on?

(thinking of early Laserwriters which looked to have the same chassis as Canon and Kyocera printers)

I had a StyleWriter 1200 back in the day. I've got it tucked away in a closet now.

I noticed nothing else like it on the market. It was going strong for over 8 years, too.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I don't know about the lasers, but my Color Stylewriter Pro had a style all of its own.

The Apple colour ink jet printers from the mid 90s were restyled Canon printers.

Apple_StylewriterPro_hero_626px.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.