If Apple doesn't release these new In-ear headphones tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by masse, Nov 24, 2008.

1. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I'll have to wait to buy them!

But seriously, does anyone think that tomorrow is the day that some have been waiting for for over a month?

Although the black friday deals likely won't extend to the new ear-phones, wouldn't it make sense to have them released in time for the masses that will be cramming into their local apple stores on friday?

No real rumors yet, but what's everyone's opinion?

[i know there are threads about the delay but I felt this merited its own discussion.]

2. longhorn777 macrumors newbie

Although every single week I convince myself that it will be the week these headphones come out, I really hope tomorrow is the day.

The displays that were delayed came out last week on Tuesday morning. I'm really really really hoping these come out tomorrow morning.

I'm going to the local Apple Store immediately when these come out. I hope they're in stores once they come out.

3. longhorn777 macrumors newbie

And of course, the new headphones didn't come out today either.

Are you kidding Apple?

Two months late?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Take comfort in this word: Vista.

Five years late and more craptacular than Windows ME.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I don't understand why this is such a big deal. These earphones will be an improvement, but there is no reason why you would want these for others in the price range.

Numerous other earphones are (bound to be, given the track record of Cupertino and IEMs): more balanced, more comfortable, more durable, more stylish (even with the white chord), better sound quality and cheaper.

Also, let's remember Apple has priorities (remember say Leopard and the iPhone, or most recently the Mini-DV chord for the 30-inch display)

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Vista get a bad rap (of course it will on a site like this). After they fixed most of the bugs, I have enjoyed using it on occasion on my Windows partition. I haven't encountered one problem after using it for the last 5 months.

7. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

So what's your point then? Apple will take forever to release these earphones, and they'll still be worse than the pre-packaged ones?

Everyone's up for a bit of Vista-bashing, but make sure its relevant at least.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's not bashing, and it's certainly relevant.

I was telling him to take comfort in the fact that he has only waited two months, as opposed to Windows users having to wait five years for Vista.

Timetables, really.

9. masse thread starter macrumors 6502a

masse

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You are shocked that Cupertino didn't respond to your post on this forum. Just kidding, however you should note that while Apple announces products on Tuesdays, in-terms of releasing products (especially pre-announced products, with the exception of the iPhone) dates are usually never announced and different stores as well as online purchasers will receive the product at different times. However, I have yet to hear of anyone receiving it obviously.

11. masse thread starter macrumors 6502a

masse

Ha! I expect apple to respond to all of our complaints!

But really...maybe tomorrow? Or maybe another few weeks. It would be nice if they could release a statement regarding the delay. It's likely not their fault but the actual producer of the headphones.

I'd much rather have a good product than one released on-time. Apple doesn't like to fail twice with the same product (the last high end apple headphones didn't exactly succeed).

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

They'll probably (just) come out in time for xmas, like early december time. I doubt apple would miss that time frame, loose alot of sales, plus the after xmas "spend all my holiday money/bank holiday sales" shopping sprees.

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Agreed. It also wouldn't shock me if they quietly introduce them on Black Friday given that consumers would definitely be the target, as opposed to audiophiles.

14. Chim3ra macrumors member

Chim3ra

are these headphones gonna be on the calibur of Bose or Shure headphones? or a "just as good" alternative?

to be honest this is the first i've heard of it, so you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge... =(

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No one has tested them, but given Cupertino's record we can assume:

Before the insults come. Shure has a wide range of models, it is highly doubtful that Apple will beat any of their current or previous models. However, if they were to sound better than any of Shure's models it would be the lowest model (the SE110.)

The Bose has many fans, and many that do not like them (I am in that category.) While I never would recommend the Bose earphones to anyone; I am not as hostile as some. IMO Apple has the opportunity and the ability to beat the Bose earphones given their (IMO) weak sound.

Given the nature of the dual-drivers it is hard to really guess what we could see from Apple; however given the other earphones they have provided, despite these being improved, it seems unlikely that they would compete with some of the other earphones in their price range on sound, let alone durability (which is going to be horrible.)

Remember, every person has different ears, taste and experience. This is a generalization of a product that few have tested based on prior products, pictures and specs.

Anyone that post on here is really guessing, myself included. If you would like any elaboration, don't hesitate to ask.

16. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I can see a definite launch by MWSF '09, but I think the earliest time it will be out is probably Black Friday. We might see it come by the end of this week or the middle of December. Nobody exactly knows right now, but by the end of MacWorld, the earphones would be out.

17. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I love my MacBook, and the one day per month I need to use a Windows App is fine.

I often wonder why everyone bashes Vista every chance they get. Mine works great. Never have a problem.

Meanwhile, my OS X Leopard has had many a crashes. Sometimes complete freezes make me want to hit ctrl + alt + delete (the infamous Windows stop frozen app method)...

Yet, everyone continues to bash Vista.

I love my Mac, but Vista is a fine alternative. I actually like iLife apps and would never go back permanently to Windows because I would miss some of the simple apps the Mac has, and definitely iLife!

Vista is no Mac but it also is no Windows ME. Now that was a bad OS!

18. masse thread starter macrumors 6502a

masse

hmmm. Really quick question.

If I have an $80 Apple Store gift card, can that be used online to purchase headphones that are not apple branded from the apple online store?

19. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes, the Apple Store gift card can be used to purchase anything in the Apple retail or online store (with the exception of the iPhone, I believe) But, defiantly your earphones.

20. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

...if they ever come out. I'm thinking of getting a good pair of Skullcandy headphones because I'm getting sick of waiting.

21. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Haha, the OP was referring to purchasing another pair of earphones. I would recommend the Sennheiser CX-300 for this price range.

22. Atomike macrumors member

About Vista - I agree with most everyone here (and most real users) - Vista is a fine OS and have never really had any problems with it. From everything I've read, I think the Vista bashing is done by people that don't really know anything at all about computers. Anything.

About the late release of the In-ear headphones - Don't expect them before Christmas. Again, I don't know since I'm not Steve Jobs. But, if they were going to release them anytime soon, they would have done so sometime remotely near the release date. Currently, they look about as bad as a company can look. No more damage can be done, and they have nothing to gain by releasing them any time in the next 11 months. So, don't look for them. At all. It's more likely they're scrapped for good.
    Go buy something better.
    Vote with your wallet.

23. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I just now ordered a set of Klipsch custom 3 earphones :D

24. imoguy789 macrumors member

I just went to the Apple store at the forum shops at vegas and asked them about these. The guy said that some stores are getting shipments and the store on the other side of the strip had a shipment but sold out. I went over to the other store and asked and they were pretty hesitant to tell me anything about them.

25. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

With the exception of your last word of advice - this just isn't true. They have delayed products or released limited shipments before and what not. Apple as a company seems to be doing fine and they clearly have a market since there are numerous people on these threads that are willing to shell out the money for these earphones, even with the rest of us telling them that they are not the best investment for the price range, delaying for a year seems unexpected.