If Apple goes AMD...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by TSE, May 16, 2012.

?

What will you do if Apple goes AMD?

1. Buy the MacBook Air - great battery life and GPU performance is just as good as a great CPU

35 vote(s)
    61.4%
  2. Spring for the MacBook Pro - I want to stay in the Apple ecosystem but need great CPU performance!

16 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. Buy a Windows PC/Ultrabook - I want the slim form factor of the Air, but want great CPU performance!

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. TSE macrumors 68030

who here will spring for the MacBook Pro/other Ultrabook?

Who here really cares that much about CPU performance?

2. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Goes AMD in what? Meaning in the Air you'd go pro:confused:,in the Pro you'd go Air?:confused:
    What if they went AMD across the board? You'd leave Apple?
    Could happen, It is my belief that :apple: is more than a little upset over INTEL's pushing "ultra books", that said I expect game changing Airs in the future, at least on :apple:'s part to, make a machine that can't be touched by the copy cats, as well as INTEL's crap integrated graphics:cool: One of the many reasons We love our 2010 11" Airs with the NVidia graphics!

3. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

4. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

I'll probably wait until I see benchmarks AND my current 2010 MBA dies/disappears/sells.

5. jgc, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

jgc macrumors regular

I would consider AMD. I know they haven't been nearly as successful as Intel especially in the past few years, however they're still a solid company. They may be a definite #2 but they can still make a good product. As long as their ULV processors match up similarly to Intel, I think they'll be fine. Lots of people consider them the end of all mankind as we know it, but I don't think most people would notice at all. If the performance matches up with Ivy Bridge ULV's and people still complain, it's more of a vanity name issue than anything. Obviously if the specs were well off Ivy Bridge, I'd reconsider.

What would concern me about AMD though is whether it was an indication that Apple is headed to a cheaper route for the MBA. If they're willing to go to a lower priced & slightly lower quality processor, what other parts would go low-cost next? I'm willing to pay the current price for the MBA. If they're really set on bringing in lower price points, the quality of the build and parts could go down as well. That's obviously a worst-case scenario but possible. That's not the path that I want to see the MBA go down.

6. calvol macrumors 6502a

If Apple is going to play the value segment in the laptop space, it will have to get under $1K entry level, and sourcing AMD would be one way to get there. With PC OEMs finally catching up in the Industrial Design, and Win 8 coming out, Apple's gross margins will erode, and I can see the firm going for more market share as this competitive threat emerges.

7. Cheffy Dave, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Gotcha now

wouldn't have a problem with it.
    Still have a old Windows machine I built with a single core FX Chip (3700)with 16 GB Ram, and 2- 10,000 RPM WD Raptors, still faster then anything, and now learning Ubuntu Precise Pangolin on it.
    Used to build PC's with nothing but AMD Chips, never had a problem:cool:

----------
    jgc
    macrumors newbie
    What would concern me about AMD though is whether it was an indication that Apple is headed to a cheaper route for the MBA. If they're willing to go to a lower priced & slightly lower quality processor, what other parts would go low-cost next? I'm willing to pay the current price for the MBA. If they're really set on bringing in lower price points, the quality of the build and parts could go down as well. That's obviously a worst-case scenario but possible. That's not the path that I want to see the MBA go down.

Dont think thats going to happen, the MBA is a cash cow, why take a chance?

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I actually hope they put a dedicated GPU.
    Im not a huge fan of the integrated (HD3000).
    My guess on the next gen would be a Intel HD 4000.
    I hope that would be better than the 3000.

9. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

It will be +1000 better.

10. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I hope so...
    Even though I do not do hardcore stuff with my Air, I would wish for a better GPU.

Even if that sacrifices the battery, I would love to have one.
    I mean you can always use gfxcardstatus :)

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apples target market has no clue. Apple sells the fantasy. The simplicity. Apples masterful marketing mesmerizes people better than hypnotism :D

12. LordVic macrumors 601

whatever provides me the best bang for the buck. I'm beholden to no company for my tech.

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

We already have the benchmarks and hd4000 is a lot better.

14. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Address the lower end (without losing your shirt) via this

AMD Trinity based MBA 11 and 13" models.

4GB of RAM. No Retina display. 64GB SSD

11" = $849
    13" = $949

Higher Intel based options would have Retina displays and offer a minimum of 128GB of SSD storage.

15. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

AMD? Never! Allegiance to Intel! Down with the naysayers!

16. tupalo macrumors newbie

Steve jobs said that intel's graphics "suck", amd's graphics don't suck

Hi Everyone,

I think Apple and AMD already happened. Why else would Intel be paying everyone to gang up on Apple?

To be more specific, I think evidence suggests that Steve Jobs made the decision to go AMD back in 2011, and Intel (in character) promptly retaliated by paying all of Apple's competitors to make Ultraclones.

Here's some stuff to back this up:

Read Steve's biography. Steve was obviously upset about Intel's processors way back in 2011. On page 493 of his biography, Steve Jobs said that Intel's graphics "suck", and that "we've been telling them [Intel] that for years."

Steve also said that Intel can't change. They're like a "steamship".

Ouch!

My jaw literally dropped when I read what Steve had to say about Intel. I think Steve's very blunt complaint about Intel in his biography means that Steve made a decision to plan on using AMD processors in 2011, and Intel promptly set up the Ultrabook Fund as retaliation - to basically pump 600-million dollars in financial steroids to Apple's competitors.

Intel got in antitrust trouble for doing precisely this sort of predatory payment scheme/manipulation in the past:

http://money.cnn.com/2009/05/14/technology/parloff_intel.fortune/

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22112342/Nyag-v-Intel-Complaint-Final

http://www.ftc.gov/os/adjpro/d9341/100804inteldo.pdf

There you go. When Intel starts paying everyone financial steroids to take down a singled-out computer manufacturer, it means that that singled-out manufacturer got too friendly with AMD. Remember Gateway?

Does anyone else have a better explanation for why Intel launched such a strange fund to help all the PC makers attack and copy Intel's exclusive customer, Apple?

17. tupalo macrumors newbie

18. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

This post actually makes a lot of sense, still isn't concrete, but really put a lot of things into perspective. Thank you!

19. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

You didn't offer me a ppc air option...so i gave a vote to windows just to be different ;-)

20. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

That would be actually cool to see.
    A G4 or G5 processor MBA :)

21. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Nope. 10 year old architecture would not be cool.

PPC had it's run and was great for it's time. No chance of it happening anymore.

22. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

GPU performance is on average 20% better on AMD.

CPU performance is HALF

Battery is marginally better.

For me it is a no brainer. Intel for me. Intel is kicking the crap out of AMD cpu wise and I need CPU for transcoding.

Besides, 20% faster GPU than "pretty slow" is still pretty slow. If HD4000 isn't good enough for you, i doubt trinity will be either. Get a discrete GPU.

HALF the CPU speed is a big drop.

23. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Well for cheap price it would be cool.
    I would not pay 1000USD on a G5 Mac anymore lol
    But it would be cool to see Apple build their own CPU's again.

24. Moshu macrumors member

What he said... plus I doubt that A10 can drive retina display.

Wanna game? Get something with discrete graphics as 20% better than crap is still crap, as it was already mentioned.

Edit: "Battery is marginally better." is not true if you encode on it, as it will take 2xtimes more of 100% load to encode the same thing. So I'd say that for limited tasks with high-workloads, intel shall perform better in terms of battery.

25. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

The A10 supports Displayport 1.2 For a max resolution of 3840 x 2400

As for encoding AMD can use OpenCL or their VCE
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5835/testing-opencl-accelerated-handbrakex264-with-amds-trinity-apu

I'm not seeing Trinity CPU at half Intel according to benchmarks

It's really going to come down to price