If Apple introduces tethering, which method will you prefer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acfusion29, Nov 7, 2008.

?

Tethering

1. USB via iTunes

25 vote(s)
    29.8%
  2. Wireless via iTunes

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  3. Bluetooth via Bluetooth

23 vote(s)
    27.4%
  4. Wireless via Wireless

31 vote(s)
    36.9%
  1. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Poll Above.

USB via iTunes

+ Charges battery while tethering
    - Have to carry cable with you

Wireless via iTunes

+ No cables
    - Battery

Bluetooth via .... bluetooth ;)

+ really can't think of anything
    - battery, most PC's don't have bluetooth, slower connection

Wireless via wireless

+ No need to have iTunes open, you just connect to the iPhone and it does it's magic.
    - battery, if you have an OLDDDD laptop, then you can't tether lol.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I picked Bluetooth because that's how I do it with my current phone. I have an iPod Touch and while I typically take it and my laptop with me, I usually don't have the cable. If Wi-Fi is available then I may end up using that, but otherwise I'll stick to what I know.

... if I ever get an iPhone, of course :p

3. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Bluetooth.. but I won't be paying the high price they'll charge for it. ;)

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't really see the need to involve iTunes -- creating a user friendly app to walk you through making the iPhone into a wireless access point would be my preferred route.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This would be my preferred method.

6. Dudeman486 macrumors member

if i were to tether wireless to wireless, could i potentially keep the iphone in my pocket and still receive good connection speeds?

7. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

I would prefer to be able to do it through usb (for computers without a wireless connection) or through wi-fi. But, I doubt this will be the case...:(

8. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Wireless isn't limited significantly by solid objects. That's why you can still receive good speeds if your wireless router was in the basement and you were in the attic.

9. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I chose Bluetooth...

Firstly because: Bluetooth isn't used at all on the iPhone (only for headsets)
    Secondly because: If it was done through Wi-Fi it would have to be on a different frequency to other Wi-Fi users.
    Thirdly because: You could pair your Notebook through bluetooth to your iPhone so it wouldn't annoy you or other people in public places or airports

I think a USB option should be available as well though

Ams.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

11. jaggunothing macrumors regular

jaggunothing

Yup completely have to agree, hope they will be smart enough to make it bluetooth teethering since that is one of the most easiest and stable connection option with minimal hazle.

Second obviously will be USB cable option san's itunes ideally.

12. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

tethering seems to kill the iphone battery pretty fast.

it would be great if you could choose usb OR bluetooth

if you have a power outlet, you then can usb tether the iphone, and both the mac/iphone are being charged.

hopefully itunes is not involved in the tethering though.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

"Wireless via wireless." WTF is that supposed to mean? Bluetooth IS wireless.

Most of the cell phone tethering I have seen has been done with Bluetooth. Therefore, I'm assuming that's what AT&T is working on. I'm also assuming there will be some application involved from the App Store since you can do it with many other phones but not the iPhone.

I just want them to release some pay as you go plan so if I'm in an emergency, I can just hook it up and they automatically charge me a couple of bucks on the next bill. I'm not "subscribing" to the tethering because I would maybe use it twice a year. Shoot, put a cap on the data transfer and include it FOR FREE. What is it with these ISPs and not understanding "unlimited" data plans?

14. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Uh... bluetooth is not the same as wireless. It is an alternate method of transferring data wirelessly, but it's not wireless.

By wireless via wireless I meant that you would use your computer to connect to the iPhone via wireless, and then you would input some settings in your iPhone to tether it (just how Netshare works, except it would be an app built in by Apple).

15. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I would like it if it could do bluetooth and was able to charge from the USB at the same time. The only reason I can see involving itunes is so you can't tether unless you pay your blood money to the providers.

16. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Bluetooth is no good. I used to tether to my MBA with my blackberry through BT, it was slow over EVDO, but when I tethered to my PC through USB it was twice as fast. Wireless is no good on the iPhone 3G, because battery life. I have an iPhone now, and used PdaNET to tether over wireless to my Glassbook, and literally drained a full iPhone battery in 20mins. It even drained while plugged into the USB port. If you have a Wifi and 3G connection active at the same time it really cooks the iPhone. It gets really hot. You would not want to have it in your pocket.

17. markgamber macrumors 6502

They'll NEVER allow bluetooth. Out of the question. If you can't even listen to music using bluetooth a stereo headset, it'll be a cold day in hell before Stevie-boy allows tethering via bluetooth.

18. paj macrumors regular

paj

Well using your definition of wireless i.e. WLAN, you can't have wireless via wireless. There is only one "wireless" radio in the iPhone. It can't be used for both sides of the "tether".

To avoid confusion, you might want to change the options to WAN via WLAN, WAN via Bluetooth, etc. :)

Of course. Only the USB option is truly a "tether" (A rope, chain, or similar restraint...) :p

Personally, I'd choose the WLAN to WAN option. It's noticeably faster than bluetooth.

19. nima macrumors member

nima

good for you. i have a life.

20. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

I have PdaNet for my jailbroken iPhone, and I've only used it once. The truth is that I have very little need for such a service, and I've only used it one time.

With that in mind, I'm sure that any official tethering that is released will not be offered for free, and I have no intention of paying a fee for it, since I am such a light user, so I will continue to use PdaNet in the future.

So, Wireless it is. :)

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Thank you for summing up what I was thinking. "Wireless" means without wires. Bluetooth, WiFi, and the cell network are wireless. I figured that he meant WiFi, but it was late and some of us get cranky at 3 a.m. :)

I like the thought of the WLAN option, but I don't know if it's as secure as Bluetooth would be. I know Bluetooth tops out at about 2 Mbps, but I didn't see that as an issue with 3G speeds not even coming close to that. BT also has a smaller signal radius, which can keep nosy do-badders from stealing (hacking!) your signal. And after some issues I had with some iPhone apps last night, using a WLAN always runs into the annoyance of IP addresses.

22. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Bluetooth all the way. Time to start working on replicating normal phone functionality.

Phazer

23. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

AT&T could just buy nullriver and use netshare as their tethering app lol;)

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That bit of confusion aside, I'm still trying to figure out why the first 2 poll options are written as hardware/software and the second two options are written as hardware/hardware.

I'm not really sure what to make of that.

25. detz macrumors 65816

I bet they will do wireless and I bet it will be an extra $30/month for the ability.