IF Apple Recall the iPhone 4...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by citrate, Jul 15, 2010.

1. citrate macrumors 6502

I presume that the people on this board that made the following comments won't be sending their iPhone back for a replacement if Apple do a recall?:

"You're holding it wrong"
    "My phone is perfect"
    "I'm 100% happy with my phone"
    "Can't you just hold it differently?"
    "Nothing is perfect"
    "Buy a case"
    "Get another phone"
    "Every phone suffers from the same issue"
    "I'm right handed"
    "It only affects left handed people"
    "Steve is right"
    "It's not a real world problem"

People are suggesting that it would cost Apple a small fortune to do a recall but if sooooo many people are happy then surely they wouldn't be sending their "perfect" iPhones back to get fixed, would they?? :D:D

2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

If they admit mistakes and offer free bumpers, then I am returning my iphone 4. I will wait for the revision unit.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Just because I don't have problems now, doesn't mean they won't surface under the right conditions at a latter date. If Apple does issue a mass recall (which I doubt they will, but who really knows), then I would trade it in. Why continue to carry around an outdated and unsupported phone when I could get a new one? I'm not sure if you are trolling or not, but it seems like a silly question.

4. Downey92 macrumors member

IF they are able to simply swap my (working fine) iPhone for one that actually is 'fixed' of all issues at any Apple store then yes. Not if I have to send away for it and wait another x weeks for the replacement to be delivered.

5. citrate thread starter macrumors 6502

There were just so many people who couldn't (and still can't) accept that their iPhone 4 is defective. I find it funny that you NEED Apple to tell you that there is a problem before you will believe it.

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Apple should just allow people to swap for white iphone 4. It will be all worked out with problems, right? White iphone is a new black. Thanks, apple.

7. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Ok - playing devil's advocate.
    Steve gets up tomorrow and says "ALL of the iPhone4s have been deemed defective. While some aren't experiencing any issues now, we can't guarantee they won't in the future and therefor we are recalling them"

You're saying you'll still keep yours? Somehow I just can't "buy" that. Somehow I think that all of the people on MR who have "perfect" phones and can't believe people issues with theirs will be first in line to demand their exchange so that they have perfect phones.

Call me a cynic.

9. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

If Steve said what you wrote above (which is not what the OP said in his original question), then yes, of course I'd return it. Don't be silly. ;)

That said, I haven't encountered any of the issues. No dropped calls, no proximity sensor issues.

10. citrate thread starter macrumors 6502

Couldn't have said it better myself.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Completely untrue. I don't accept that all iPhones are defective because I've seen ones that don't exhibit the defects. But I believe that discussion is off topic. The topic has nothing to do with Apple telling me I have a defect either.

The topic is would I trade in a perfect phone for a new one. As I said before, why continue to carry around an outdated phone when I could get a new one? A phone that if perfect now could show the defect later, or it might be perfect forever. If Apple is currently willing to trade my phone in for a new one, then I'd be foolish to hold on to an outdated one.

Plus, I'll probably sell my phone next year if a new one comes out and having a newer model would increase resale value.

12. tills24 macrumors member

I have no reception issues with mine, and I'm lefthanded (which seems to be the main problem with it?). If they said all phone will have the issue, I would return it, but I would also assume that they'd have a window of when it could be returned.

13. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

Bell Canada issued a recall this last year for the power adaptors on their 2Wire Modems. Now, I had never had a problem with my modem's power adaptor. Didn't expect there ever to be a problem. Nonetheless, when they offered a new adaptor I took it, because common sense dictates me to do so.

Now I don't own an iPhone 4, yet. However, if I had a unit that was working fine I would have been one of those posting about it, because that I would feel it was my obligation to say "Hey, mine's working." I wouldn't be denying there is an issue (which there obviously is), I would simply be assisting in gauging the extent of the issue - that not all phones are affected. And even if my phone was functioning perfectly, I would exchange it if there was a recall ... because it's common sense.

I don't understand why you are being so bitter against those who have working phones. They were right to say there phone worked and to deny the issue was all encompassing (because I know first hand it wasn't) and they would still be right to exchange their phones if there was a recall.

Edit: I do understand now after reading clarifications you are only against the people who ravenously denied the issue existed for anyone and recommended outrageous solutions.

14. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I am keeping mine as well, there is a 1 year manufacture warranty, if he said that all phone as doom to fail I will take it to the apple store when mine do, I did with the original iPhone, bottom half of the screen went dead (they already knew this was a manufacture defect from month 1, t least that is what the genius told me at the time), took to the store, i was 11 months into my warranty, got a brand new phone right there in the spot.

no reason to be freak out or go to make endless line to return something that I am perfectly happy with.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

It's not the people who have working phones that some are taking issue with. It's the people who are denying there is an issue at all. And plenty of people are stating (as if it's a fact) that there is no issue. It's frustrating to those who are experiencing an issue to be dismissed out of ignorance.

Better to say - I'm sorry you're having an issue - that sucks. I'm not experiencing and issue so maybe you should get yours exchanged.

Instead people are saying "there's no issue. and if you don't like it - go return it and get a droid"

Now how is THAT productive?

16. leftcoast macrumors member

I am 100% on board with you. Many of my clients are lockheed engineers and most of them have a very "unique" personality. I could not afford to have signal issues, that being said I hope I get a properly working phone because I have enjoyed all of my previous iphones. I just ordered mine on the 11th

17. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

"omg free bumperz!!1" doesn't solve anything

The people complaining about this issue want to run their iPhone4 bareback.

If you buy a $199+ phone and sign a 2 year contract, you can afford a case... and if you can't, then you shouldn't have bought a $199+ phone and signed a 2 year contract in the first place.

18. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I don't get how people are still saying some are not defective! It is the SAME EXACT design in EVERY SINGLE iPhone 4! I can't replicate the effects in my house. But if I go 10 miles north to my work I lose all service when I hold the left side. It just depends where you are located but I assure you once YOU hit a low signal area YOU will see the problem we all complain about!

19. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Also, this will be my last time pre-order anything from apple EVER again. I will always wait for a week or two. Way to be stupid, apple. I will stay with apple products, but I am not pre-ordering anything from them ever again.

20. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't think too many people are denying there are issues. But to turn the tables, "non-issue people" take offense when "issue people" declare that all iPhones are defective. Maybe under the correct conditions, this is true, but I've seen some iPhones that work perfectly and don't experience the issues. Don't tell me my phone is broken when you've never even seen it.

We have two iPhone 4s in my house. One has the issues almost everywhere and one does not have the issues anywhere. I've placed them on the same table and this is still true. It doesn't make sense, but I don't know what else to tell you.

21. citrate thread starter macrumors 6502

But the new phone could have problems of it's own. So you would risk trading in your "perfect" iPhone 4 for something that could be flawed? :rolleyes:

22. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

Man, you're a snide little fella, aren't you?

23. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

It is a fact that every phone IS defective. It may only occur under certain conditions but the iPhone 4 when held a certain way in a low signal area loses 1 or more bars of signal. There is no special iPhone out there the has a magical antenna better than all the rest...

24. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm willing to risk trading in an outdated and no longer produced iPhone for a newer model. If the new one has issue, I'll have Apple fix it. Not a big deal.

25. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

By this logic, it would be foolish to ever buy a new phone. Ever. Because it potentially could have a flaw pop up down the road.

Stop trolling.