If Apple was never created?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mickbab, Nov 18, 2009.

1. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Imagine that the company Apple Inc. did not exist.

I approach you today, and have a quick chat to you, and show you some things.

"Hi. I'm Steven Jobs and I've just started a new technology company called Apple. Our products include: computers, which we call 'Macs'; portable media players, called 'iPods'; and a touchscreen mobile phone, called the 'iPhone'.

"Take a look at our notebook line. We call these the 'MacBooks':"

[​IMG]

"Here is our desktop computer range:"

[​IMG]

"Here are our 'iPods' - our portable media players:"
    [​IMG]

"And finally, the iPhone:"

[​IMG]

What do you say?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't get it. So, Apple never existed, but you are asking our opinion of their current products? :confused:

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Give me them all for free. I'll take a few months to give them all a test run, and then agree to fund you to mass produce them if I like them. ;) kthnxbai

4. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

They look expensive, but I kinda want everything...check?

5. mickbab thread starter macrumors 65816

mickbab

No the idea was that if Apple had never existed til now, and you were shown their new product line to open the company with, what would you think of them?

If that makes any sense.

6. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

THIS!!!

[​IMG]

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

If Apple never existed...I'd have a life... but they do existed... I don't miss it...

I'd say "Woah something original, not to mention elegant. Looking at them they probably run like doody down a hippo's bum. I bet they just use the pretty shell to make up for the crappy performance, like the lambourghini notebook by Acer or whoever. Not to mention the price, looks like they jack you to have a pretty silver laptop. And they don't run Windows...that means NO applications... lame. Pretty though."

Actually that sounds like me in 2007... Hm...

8. Queso macrumors G4

I'd be "yeah great but none of my WMA music will play on it, my WMV website videos don't play, and it doesn't have a completely 100% necessary parallel port for my printer".

9. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

And if it never existed Windows Aero would not exist...

And maybe Windows still wouldn't exist!

After all Apple pionnered the GUI with the Mac (I know they weren't first, but they were the first to mass sell it), so if if didn't exist to give the example to MS, maybe we would still run command line OSes...

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Then Windows 98 would be the current thing..... ugh

11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I think if Apple never existed, the technology sector would have turned out very similar (except with slightly uglier products), except 2-3 years behind where it is. As such, Apple's current products would seem pretty advanced and I'd be impressed.

12. chown33 macrumors 604

"Good luck, Mr. Jobs. I'm not ready to get rid of my Xerox Contralto yet, but you might be able to take customers away from IBM's Mobile-OS/2k."

On second thought, there never would have been an Apple II, no Visicalc, and IBM would not have seen the business potential of entering the personal computer market, because it would be considered just a bunch of geek toys.

13. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

14. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

I'd probably say for that price, good luck.
    But after using them I would say it's worth more but not that much.

15. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I don't want all these crap. I came here to look for that red or green round fruit with a stalk.

16. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

okay so if apple didn't exist till today 11/19/09.....

i would say!

"WAIT!!!! WTH!????!!!!!!!!!!!! WHO ARE THESE INTELLIGENT FREAKS?I LOVE WINDOWS 7 (EVEN THOUGH I CANNOT AFFORD $130-$500 dollars to buy their Operating System :()!!!!!!!!!! and PC's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! who the hect are you guys?! I'm a PC, over 85% of the western world is PC.. I'm still running windows 98 on my compaq and multiple IBM's from work....get in line."
    :D

17. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I would say: What's with all the 'i's?!
    Oh and what exactly is a 'Mac'?

18. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Your theory is flawed in it's view of the space time continuum. If Apple never existed then this website/forum would never have been created and you would not be able to even pose such a question in this medium to mac fans who would not even be mac fans and thus would not have the knowledge base from which to postulate a world without Apple products. Does this make sense? Of course it doesn't! I hate time travel stories.... my head hurts... :D

19. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

OP......this man has a good point +1 A+ paper for me!:D;)

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If Apple didn't exist someone else would have come along with innovation and maybe produced something better or maybe something worse. But to say that nothing would have happened because Apple was never founded is kind of silly. The real question is what if Woz and Jobs never met. Or what if Jobs never came back to Apple.

21. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

NEXTSTEP will look like today's Mac OS X and we are probably using Copland. :eek:

But Steve is Apple's saviour.

22. ibbieta macrumors member

Will this replace my typewriter and walkman?

23. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Unless I am a complete idiot, I would see that this company, Apple Inc, has products better than what is out there. I would invest in them if I had some start up money.

The key is for investors to see great new starts out there and invest early. A friend of mine ditched a pretty established company for a then-unknown startup which seems to be doing OK getting to the next step. If this all works, then I think he will be very, very rich.

Many years ago, whether this has to do with profit or not, the janitor outside the Mac lab (we used Mac Classics), mentioned he was involved in this new thing called VA Linux. I listened to his "story", but I was skeptical, but he seemed to know what he was talking about.

Not long after, I met someone who was starting a slew of companies for the growing internet phenomenon, so like a ton of business and computer science students, I dropped out of school. I was an MBA student in the late-90s, and I figured the long term gamble would be worth it getting in early on dot.com instead of finishing school. I should have finished school. But at least I didn't put my money into all those startups which at first made people money, on paper, at unrealistic rates. This inflation of supposed wealth did not match these companies' lack of revenue. Many accountants showed skepticism while a lot of geek types thought that it could hold itself up without sales. I knew people involved with Napster, Home, and WebVan and they thought they would be the next Microsoft and IBM. When it fell apart, it was a nearly complete annihilation of people's money.

24. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I don't deal in hypotheticals!

DEL (ERASE) [d:][MacRumors]ThisThread [/P]