If I cancel to switch data carrier will I get bumped back?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by patricem, Mar 9, 2012.

1. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

I think I want to switch from ATT to Verizon. How do I do this? Do I have to cancel and reorder ? Will this bump me back?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I do believe you need to cancel. You may want to call Apple on that one.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Very likely. It's not like they are holding back stock for this scenario. Try to place an order for a Verizon one and see what the delivery date says.

I'd stick with AT&T though... That's just me.

4. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

It might depend on the status of your order. Call Apple right away and ask.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The lure of VZW is the free hot spot for sure.

6. patricem thread starter macrumors 6502

patricem

Tell me why.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

AT&T has been at the iPhone/iPad business for longer. Their HSPA support of the iPhone is a good example. Being first has its advantages. AT&T's LTE is also faster than Verizon's. I have more confidence in AT&T's ability to support the new iPad than I have in Verizon.

Now, if where you live Verizon has better coverage, that's another story. That's why I said "just me". :D

8. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

The best way to see when the new order would be delivered is to go online and look at the current delivery window for the Verizon device.

9. dread macrumors 6502a

I made the switch yesterday and called apple to have it done. It turns out they just cancelled my old order and made a new one with the same number. You can do this online yourself or call them. As long as the preorder is not sold out it will not matter. You will get it at the same time anyway.

10. patricem thread starter macrumors 6502

patricem

Preparing for Shipment
    Not eligible to cancel or return

Am I'm too late? I only ordered ATT so I could use the Ipad with a surveillance camera....now we're not going to get that camera I guess. I only want to use the 4G as needed. Verizon seems to have better coverage, now they are offering the 1GB rate and the hotspot. I go for reliability versus speed. Oh well maybe all I can do now is exchange it? My closest Apple store is an hour away and it will be a madhouse. Or do I just stick with ATT and hope for the best? In the country areas they don't seem to offer much coverage. I am looking at the long term picture as in years.

11. dread macrumors 6502a

According to their site it is too late to cancel. I'm sure you can ship it back without a problem if you don't want to go to the apple store.

12. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Normally what they have to do is cancel the entire order and enter a new one for the new item. However that was an issue with me because I used a gift card for part of the purchase and the hold took up almost all of it and it would take 5+ days they said to release those funds back and be able to use it again. Same thing with my credit card. That was an issue and I politely kept pushing if there was anything he could do and finally I asked if the CS rep could just switch the item and bill my cc for just the difference. He put me on hold for a while and worked with I think his supervisors manager and finally he was able to get that done so what he did was cancel the iPad and enter the new one under the same order number and charged my cc the difference.

13. patricem thread starter macrumors 6502

patricem

Is this true? From CNET?

You do not need to sign up for a data plan. You can use it month to month with either carrier. That said, Verizon charges a $35 activation fee when you sign up for service. But this fee is waived if you activate your device using a credit card and pre-pay for the monthly service, according to a Verizon spokeswoman.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-5...-the-third-generation-ipad-faq/#ixzz1odIHDW00

I used the Apple financing so I am worried about transferring that, as you only get the interest free rate with initial purchase. What to do!! I just don't want to be in the country in a year from now and get no signal! Or driving across the eastern states. Seems Verizon has better coverage.

14. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

When I preordered the first time, it was going to be delivered on March 16th but then I cancelled and preordered again and now it says that it will ship by March 19th.

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If you cancel you will start all over again. You need to call Apple and see if they can change your order.

If not accept the AT&T unit and take it, unopened, to a Apple store and they should exchange it if they got stock.

16. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

thats not true, that was the case i believe with the original iPad that they sold with their own mifi.

17. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

You are going to be fine. I've been on AT&T for years, and have traveled all over the country and even to Alaska and I've always had good coverage. I wouldn't worry about it.

18. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Why not just keep both orders? When one arrives, see what AT&T's final plans will be and then just return the version you don't want to the store. There's no restocking fee.

That's what I'm doing. Originally ordered AT&T 64gb but recently made a new order for a Verizon 64gb. If AT&T hasn't announced that hotspots are included in their pricing by march 16, I'll be returning the AT&T version for 100% refund.

19. patricem thread starter macrumors 6502

patricem

The CNET article is dated March 8 2012. Incorrect you think?