If I have a 1080p TV, is Apple TV 4K a waste?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Supermallet, Sep 18, 2018.

1. priitv8 macrumors 68040

Oh, I see. That means also Atmos gets stripped, right?

2. Michelasso macrumors 6502

Michelasso

I didn't check the forums in a long time, but apparently Atmos wasn't supported. Also due to the lame format Apple chose. Ok, I am correct. Check this. Not sure why VOD services can make it working while a local media player can't.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68040

Yeah, the implementation details are nowhere to be seen, so I am left wondering just like you.
    If Infuse could pass audio through directly to HDMI, the whole story would be a non-issue.
    So I'd rather be looking in that direction. Support for lossless audio formats would come as free bonus.
    And that would make me buy Infuse Pro license ;)

PS: also, check this #49 !!

4. Ralfi macrumors 68020

Ralfi

Ok. But what if all you want to do is rent HD movies from iTunes & won’t make use of Netflix, Prime etc.

I still intend to buy Blu-Ray movies, but just want to use iTunes to ‘try before I buy’.

It seems as if the Apple TV 4K might be the best streaming box, with the widest HD movie catalogue for rental, together with decent sound?

5. vazandrew macrumors newbie

If you are intending to use iTunes there would be no other option anyway. However, they do offer the best streaming platform and selection IMO. If you have a 4K TV you would be able to view any free upgrades, for past purchases, at the higher resolution with HDR.

I purchase certain titles on disc, where I want to have the best quality, and rent or purchase on sale other content via Apple TV.

6. keeper macrumors 6502

I find the opposite my near top of the range LG tv buffers all the time even getting 70mps, the ATV on the same network switch never fails and is the one we use.