If I put in extra memory...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mojopixel, Nov 11, 2007.

1. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

...that is from a 3rd party vendor, in this case Crucial, will that invalidate my Apple warranty? :confused:

cheers,

mp

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

no.. Unless you break something while installing the ram then the warranty doesn't cover that..

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

4. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Nope

put in 2 sticks of 1GB ram into my MB and sent it in...they didn't notice or care

5. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

are you sure they use Crucial RAM because if I buy a shiny new macbook and upgrade to 4GB through Apple it will cost me £539.99 but if I go to Crucial it will cost me £115.14?????

6. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

You could say that Apple sometimes uses Crucial RAM, but I have had a lot of Macs, and none of them have come with Crucial RAM. Micron is the brand I have seen most often.

And for the OP, yes, comparable RAM is much more expensive from Apple.

7. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

apple likes to rip people off ;)

8. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

i had samsung ram that came with my mbp which i swapped out with owc

9. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yup its insane, im sure they switch mfgs occasionally i know my imac had crucial ram in it, i dont really remember what my MBP had though

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

delete your crucial cookies as i bought a 2GB chip for £48 which means you can get 4GB for ~£96.

11. kflook macrumors member

With memory, yes...I bought 2 GB of RAM (Samsung) for my PowerBook from OWC, it cost me $135.98. The same RAM from Apple was $600 at the time.

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Crucial = Micron ;)

13. m3the01 macrumors member

Hey i was thinking of upgrading to 4gb on the new macbook pro.

Obviously not from apple,

Question one, what is the best ram in terms of performance and compatibility with macbook pro?

Question two, what to do with the old ram, seems like such a waste? I wonder if apple would want to buy it back, lol....

14. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

Short answer...no it wont void your warranty, unless you break something while doing it. Its easy to install ram though.

15. Type121 macrumors regular

My opinion: RAM is RAM. If it meets the specs and isn't broken, then it's exactly the same as any other RAM with the same specs. It's a different story for overclockers maybe, but we aren't in that situation.

OWC will buy back the RAM you've removed. I assume you've had to buy from them in the first place.

16. jt2ga65 macrumors regular

17. Type121 macrumors regular

18. samuraikiss macrumors regular

The free market provides a price incentive for Apple to innovate. And from these profits arise more funds for research and development, which allows for their release of more innovative products.

Apple provides me a price incentive to purchase RAM from another vendor and install it myself.

19. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Apple buys Hynix, Samsung and Micron, all direct from the foundries. Apple never installs retail brands such as Crucial.

Crucial (the brand) is owned by Micron, Crucial sells RAM manufactured by Micron primarily, but also Samsung, Hynix, Swissbit and Elpida.

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It's called mark-up (and there's some legitimate-albeit minor-labor costs in there) ;)

That too (for RAM and HD upgrades that is).

Right, but for RAM, they like to rip off the consumer. :p
    I say keep it. If all else fails, you can always go back to it or even send it back to Apple in the event that your notebook suffers some great calamity. Giving it to someone who can use it might also be a good idea.

21. mitchellm macrumors newbie

im thinking of getting a macbook soon, if i want to upgrade up to 2GB and go through say crucial, do i have to rip the old memory out and buy 2GB of crucial? or can i leave what comes with it and have 3GB? does it all have to match?

22. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

AFAIK, the macbook comes with 512+512, so you'd be forced to replace both in order to get 2GB. However, as RAM prices continue to fall (and as Christmas is around the corner), I suggest you go for 4GB. You might get lucky after Thanksgiving (if you're in the US) and get 2X2GB for real cheap. That'll really make your macbook fly.:cool:

23. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Crucial is a subsidiary of Micron. The whole reason for the existence of the company is to sell Micron RAM to the public.

24. samuraikiss macrumors regular

But you do have to be cognizant of which MacBook you have. Pre-Santa Rosa MacBooks, such as mine, will only recognize 3.3gb of RAM, whereas the newest MacBooks will recognize 4gb.

In my case, would it be better to buy 2x 2gb sticks of RAM or 1x 1 gb and 1x 2gb?

25. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

oh yeah, where d'you get your RAM from?