If I return a rMBP will it be sold as refurbished?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emgoodman, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emgoodman macrumors regular

My question is this:
    New 13 inch rMBP scheduled for delivery today. I have already decided to return basically secondary to my rethinking that it would be better to wait for the Haswell and I don't really need it now.

I certainly have the rite to open and play around a bit before returning but ethically I feel that it was my mistake to order and if Apple can still sell it as new then I shouldn't open. If though, since it will have left Apple and be delivered, they have to sell as refurbished, I might as well play around with it for a few days to see if I like the screen and form factor. Anyone know what the rules are regarding this.

Yes, I could call Apple but figure it is in there best interest regardless to tell me just to send immediately back. So, not sure if I'd get the most accurate answer.

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Probably yes.

That's what I'm doing - I have a 256 GB 13" rMBP, and it's going back when I get home on Thursday (or Friday, depending on what Sandy does . . .). I'm sure it will be offered as a "refurbished" unit, which will be pretty funny, since it will be indistinguishable from new when I return it.

3. PapaVBnMOMO macrumors member

You guys are on to something...if we can get all the rMBP 13 buyers to return, then Apple will have to sell all of it for the refurb price, then it'll be price accordingly...

4. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

If you do not open it, they will sell as new. If you break the seal they will refurbish it.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple will not sell a product as new if it was shipped to another customer, even if it is returned unopened. Many refurb products were returned unopened, rather than being used.

No, they won't.

6. emgoodman thread starter macrumors regular

GGJstudios: How do you know this for sure? I've got two opposing answers here. Do you have direct knowledge? Apple employee?

Thanks.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When a Mac is sold, the warranty clock starts and is tied to that serial number. If they took it back and resold it as new, the new buyer would get less than 1 year warranty coverage. Refurb models are given a new serial number that identifies them as refurbs, and also allows for the warranty clock to start again when they are sold. You can verify remaining warranty/AppleCare coverage for any Mac by entering the serial number here.

Apple refurbished products are considered by most to be a very good deal, as they're pretty much like buying a new Mac, except for the box.
    • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are available online from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold in local Apple stores
    • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
    • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare
    • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
    • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
    • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
    • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
    • A refurb Mac may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
    • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
    • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

While you're probably right and they most likely do convert all returns, opened or unopened to refurbished units, Apple does have the ability to reset the warranty within 90 days(or maybe 120, it has been a while) of the original purchase.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

There's nothing "funny" about that at all - in my experience, more than half of refurbished computers sold were never in the hands of customers. In any event, they're "new" in the sense that they have to pass every quality control measure that the new units do.

I can't speak for Apple, but vendors often have to rob parts out of a new unit on the shelves, then that unit goes back to the manufacturer to have those parts replaced. Sometimes it's as simple as a power cord, RAM chip, or a mouse. Then the manufacturer will "refurbish" the unit by simply replacing the part(s), testing it once again, and shipping it back out.

10. TRMC13 macrumors member

Yes they will. In retail at least.

Source: Former Apple Employee

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is false. Read my last post. There is also no way they can be certain that an item wasn't opened and resealed. They do not sell returned items as new.

12. TRMC13 macrumors member

We'll agree to disagree then. You have your internet, I have company experience.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is illegal to sell a returned item as new. Apple isn't going to violate the law by doing so.

14. TRMC13 macrumors member

That's false. As long as the product is sealed and shows no signs of use, it can go back on the shelf. Every retailer does this, Best Buy, Office Max, Wal-Mart, Target, etc. Apple is no different, at least not based on the 5 years I worked there.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I know BB does this for sure because I returned an unopened hard drive and they scanned it, walked it back to the shelf and gave me my money back.

16. Maczor macrumors regular

I tend to believe TRMC13 than GGJstudios ( you're too idealistic... sorry ).
    Companies are not lead by saints... it's business, Apple is no different.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not a matter of being idealistic or "saints". It's purely business. Apple would be facing countless lawsuits if they misrepresented returned products as being new. You can believe whatever you want, but the fact that a former employee states something is hardly a reliable source, as many who are even currently employed don't have all the facts. This forum is filled with examples of Apple employees who gave false information. Just the fact that they were employed by a company doesn't mean they have knowledge about everything the company does.

18. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

What law? Please provide a citation.

19. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

What if the unit was damaged during shipping? Even though no signs may be visible to the box, the computer could have something wrong internally that occurred during shipping.

20. children macrumors regular

really? I find that hard to believe, retailers here (Australia) do it all the time, be it for clothes, electronics etc etc

21. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

There returned to stock atleast here in the uk if there unopened.

Law here is simple. Unused returned to stock. Used = referb

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

34 Fed. Reg. 176-77. Federal Trade Commission's 1969 Enforcement Policy

The Federal Trade Commission bans deceptive labeling in the sale of any product. This means that returned items cannot be sold as new, and retailers who sell rebuilt or otherwise remanufactured items must label them as such and not sell them as new items. If an item has merely been re-shelved without being used by another consumer, retailers should indicate that.

23. Ccrew macrumors 68020

GGJ seems to miss the stories about people that got a ream of paper or something in a box...

Because it was returned to the retailer sealed and put back on the shelf.

Ideology is one thing, real world another.

24. Maczor macrumors regular

... so, it doesn't say it can't be sold as "new" in that case. It only states that the retailers should indicate it was re-shelved without being used. And if they don't indicate? Would you notice or have a way to prove they sold you something that wasn't really new? I highly doubt you can...

Wake up... Only the naives think that laws are respected by the letter. Stores resell stuff as "new" even though the item was returned... you can wish it wasn't so as much as you'd like... doesn't change reality a bit.

Exactly. He clearly has no idea...

25. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

(Emphasis added.)

Your assertion is not entirely accurate. If a unit is returned still sealed, a manufacturer may still sell it as new. This is, as a practical matter, common among electronics retailers in the US. Further, units that have been opened for inspection but never turned on do not necessarily have to be sold as refurbished or used. A unit that has been opened and used at all is obviously a different question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.