If I take my MacBook Pro to the Apple store because it's shocking me...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DDar, May 28, 2009.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

How do you think they'll respond?
    I used to be able to ignore it, but now the shocks have seriously begun to hurt and last longer. =(
    The areas that I mainly get shocked at are the lower part of my arms, you know, the area that rests on top of the laptop while you type.

Btw, this only happens when it's plugged in, and I don't have any shoes on and both my feet are on the ground... So it happens quite often.

I haven't even had this laptop for a year, but these shocks are getting to be unbearable.

Oh! Also, the rubber chord from the MAGSAFE charger cracked, so I put some tape on it to keep the rubber chord to the white box. This has nothing to do with my problem, since the shocks have been happening since before the cracking/break happened so.. yeah

P.S.: I don't have any carpet in my house, so it's not static shock. It actually feels like my laptop has a live wire inside or something... It really hurts. =(

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They will probably take it, test it, repair it if need be, and return it to you.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think they will take a look at it, evaluate it and try to determine what is wrong with it.

Edit: Beaten to the punch by quicker fingers

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try using the 3-prong extension cable for the power supply (it replaces the two-prong adapter). It's grounded.

If you're already using it, try another outlet in the house.

As for the MagSafe - take it in. They most likely will replace it.

5. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Ah, okay. My warranty covers this, right?
    Should I take the charger there too? (Just to see if they'll replace it/fix the chord)

Also, while I take it, if I complained about some screen pretty bad bleeding on dark colors as well do you think they might fix that too?

Oh! And if I give it in to them are they going to go through/ erase my HDD? Or do will they leave that completely alone?

6. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

I live in Mexico. During the winter I took my laptop to NY to my grandma's house for a few weeks and I still had the same problem there (with the three pronged connector too. I always use the 3 pronged connector unless I take my Laptop on the go.)
    At the time it only happened every once in a while, but now it happens almost every time I get on the computer. In fact, my arm is starting to go numb right now. =(

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Possibly, depends on what they find... so only Apple can answer that

I would take it all, because they may have questions about the cord since you say it only happens when plugged in

Plot thickens... you will have to ask... and it will depend on what they find on examining your Mac

Reminds me of the old joke:

Man - Doctor, my arm hurts when I do this
    Doctor - Then don't do that

If you are getting shocked and your arm is numb... my suggestion would be stop using your computer till you get it fixed ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They will do their thing and if anything is wrong they will fix it.

Ha, you got beaten by a girl :p

9. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

This happens to me too all the time. Really annoying...

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes, yes, at least they're good for something. ;)

You have not seen my fingers ... ;)

11. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Take it to the Apple Store, and if they're nice and take it seriously they might give you a new one. Based on the conditions it takes for you to get shocked, wouldn't it be easier to wear socks or shoes? It is a metal device with electricity charging it...

12. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

So I got my MBP back from the Apple store awhile back for the shocking issue. Turns out I'm getting shocked again. I'm thinking of scheduling another appointment to have it looked at again. My warranty expires Dec 2009 so I need to get this fixed before it runs out.

Any idea with how Apple is fixing this? They replaced my top case.

13. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

that shouldnt happen aluminum is a poor conductor of electricity

14. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Apparently it is though. And the guy at the Genius Bar said they had a couple reports with this and Apple didn't have a resolution at the time. Last night it shocked my thumb when I laid my hand to the right of the machine. A couple of times it shows my wrists when I type.

15. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Huh?

You know what Occam would say? In Mexico, during the year, it's a grounding issue. I've had this happen to me many a time.

At TS's grandmother's place during the winter, it's just a static discharge issue. Again, happens to people all the time.

This happens on a lot a laptops but it's more noticeable on a MBP BECAUSE of the aluminum body. If it were polycarb or plastic, the user wouldn't notice.

16. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Ummmm what do you think all those old houses back in the day had for wiring? Aluminum. It does conduct very well, not as good as copper, but it does conduct.