If iMessage was available on Android would you switch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noobinator, Jan 22, 2016.

?

If iMessage was available on Android would you switch?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. No

64 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Possibly

18 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. noobinator macrumors 601

Another thread about what is keeping me on Apple made me want to poll the people here. iMessage is probably the number one thing keeping me on iPhones. All my friends and family have it and it's so much easier to send texts, pics, and videos than through regular text messaging or any 3rd party app.

I know it will never happen but if Apple released iMessage for android would you make the switch?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Nah, I'm a grumpy simpleton who likes what's familiar. Until iOS stops working for me as it should, I don't see the need to plunge to something else. It's a tool, that's all, and I don't much care about customisation and stuff like that. I'd rather have security.

3. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

Probably not..

Currently most of my android friends insist on messaging me through whatsapp, it's annoying as hell.

4. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Like you OP, I would think nice and hard about it. iMessage is one of the biggest reasons I'm on iPhone. I'd miss things like Airplay, Apple music, and the nice integration of all my Apple products. But the alternatives are not terrible, Chromecast, Spotify, etc. I think the Galaxy S6 screens and design have absolutely trumped the iPhone 6S this iteration. There would definitely be some debate over switching.

5. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Personally I pretty much use third party offerings on everything. Google music , vudu for movies and while iMessage is nice I have an unlimited texting plan and everybody I know has a cellphone as well. I also have a MacBook for any iMessage messages I need to send should I need to

6. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

iMessage just seems to get it right with their auto compression of pics/vids where as sending regular texts and using 3rd party apps compress videos so much they end up looking like I took it on a 1980s camcorder. This is why i love imessage.

7. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

The interface is horrid.

8. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Android or Windows phones would have to have both, imessage and facetime for me to consider it.

9. I7guy macrumors G5

I wouldn't switch, my family extended family, friends are all on iPhone and use Apple specific functions.

I would however think about an android.

10. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

What app is used for texting on android?
    Is it really that iMessage is that much better than the competition?

Using iMessage, I'm able to send texts to my brother who has a flip-phone as well as to my sis-in-law who has an Android phone...are they not able to reply back?

11. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

That's not an iMessage, that's a text or SMS. iMessage is the protocol not the app. Messages is the app that can send both iMessages (blue bubbles) and SMS (green bubbles).

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I wouldn't mind it happening because half of my friends have Android phones but I wouldn't switch myself.

13. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Losing iMessage had no impact on me when I went to Android for a year. Didn't miss it at all. I could send and receive text and SMS messages from anyone I needed to stay in touch with.

C

14. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

Well yes I can send text messages to anyone but the benefits to me of imessage are:

pics and videos are auto compressed and in my opinion allow much larger file size than 3rd party apps or straight sms
    i like the blue bubbles better than green lol
    I know when someone is responding

15. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I voted no. I have WhatsApp installed on my phone for group texts where not all my friends are iPhone users. I just prefer the overall stability of iOS.

16. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I would really like for iMessage to be on Android, but it wouldn't make me want to switch. It would be more for convincing my few Android-using friends to get on it so that groups messaging is a bit nicer.

Unfortunately, getting everyone in my social circles to use a single platform is like herding cats, so a lot of times, we're stuck on group SMS.

17. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

the most important thing about iMessage is the fact that you know a message was delivered. far too many times i have sent messages that went undelivered because of my carrier.

18. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

i see...didn't know there was that much more with iMessage. that alone though wouldn't be enough to stay with iOS if there weren't others pros as well.

aside from my two sisters and one good friend however, the rest of my contacts are on Android.

19. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

I would not switch because of the overall user experience (in my case).

20. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I just realised I misunderstood the poll. I'm on Android and if iMessage became available I wouldn't switch because I don't like change :) and I like Whatsapp.

21. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Almost everyone I communicate with use WhatsApp. Never use iMessage.

22. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

I wouldn't switch because I think Android in general is a step down. iMessage is an example of a polished messaging application done right. Android has been out years and still can't get it done right. How many other application baked into iOS that are more polished than their counterparts? I'd say quite a few more. It's obvious that care and attention to detail goes into the design of iOS. I'm not sure other OSes have that same level of care when being designed.

23. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

If you mean the same look since the first iOS, then yes. But saying the stock apps are better than stock apps on Android is a bit of a strech.

24. skiltrip macrumors 68030

What it would do for me is allow me to switch between iOS and Android zero hassle. I'd welcome it to Android so I could keep a Nexus device around as a secondary phone.

25. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

It's subjective obviously. What apps would you say are better on Android?