Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If iMessage was available on Android would you switch?

• Yes

Votes: 15 15.5%
  • No

Votes: 64 66.0%
  • Possibly

Votes: 18 18.6%

• Total voters

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It sounds like what this thread is asking really comes down to "How important is iMessage to you, and is it it the only or the main thing that's keeping you on iOS?"

Reactions: lordofthereef

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Honestly having iMessages on Android would make me really consider staying on Android. I have a 5X right now alongside my 6S and I just can't bring myself to use it as a daily driver because I talk to so many people who use iMessages.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'd be happy getting it on Windows too. I use windows far more than I use OSX. That said I use Android and iOS daily, so this question may not psepecifically apply to me. I wouldn't mind having the option on Android though.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Texting or aka sms or apps like groupme. Skype for FaceTime alternative

I have considered that, but then I wouldn't get to Facetime with my son who is a thousand miles away, since he refuses to use Skype. I could probably live without imessage but facetime is a must for me. Thank you for the suggestions none the less. If things change in the future I will keep them in mind.

Reactions: Closingracer

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Well yes I can send text messages to anyone but the benefits to me of imessage are:

pics and videos are auto compressed and in my opinion allow much larger file size than 3rd party apps or straight sms
i like the blue bubbles better than green lol
I know when someone is responding

How do you search iMessage? Outside of recent posts, you can't. Major pain :(

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I have considered that, but then I wouldn't get to Facetime with my son who is a thousand miles away, since he refuses to use Skype. I could probably live without imessage but facetime is a must for me. Thank you for the suggestions none the less. If things change in the future I will keep them in mind.

Skype is a free calling service to anybody else who has Skype which includes video chat and calls with the option of calling other lines like real phones for a charge. There is also some other options for video chat. Me personally I prefer to use third party options as much as possible for two reasons. One reason is if I change OS's it's very easy since my usage of apps can be switched easily along with the OS. iMessage is something I like and since I have a MacBook Pro I find texting everybody sms or iMessage convenient but at the end not enough to keep me buying iPhones. If Apple removes the 3.5mm jack I might think hard going back to Android.

Reactions: Ladybug

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
iMessage just seems to get it right with their auto compression of pics/vids where as sending regular texts and using 3rd party apps compress videos so much they end up looking like I took it on a 1980s camcorder. This is why i love imessage.

I never realized how great that aspect of iMessage was until I used a Fire Phone for a month between my 5s and 6s. I sent a video of my son to my wife and she complained about my phone taking horrible videos. I had no idea what she was talking about till she got home and showed me the version she got in the text. It looked like it came from the first generation of flip phones capable of video.

I love iMessage but that alone wouldn't keep me with iOS. Android itself keeps me here just fine on its own.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I have unlimited international SMS/MMS on my plan but still prefer to use iMessage (for many reasons, some have already been mentioned in this thread). I'd say three-quarters of my contacts are iOS users. But I still voted 'no' because there is so much more to this platform that keeps me here than just iMessage.

To mention a few; iCloud sharing for family calendar events is amazing (my wife and I use this all the time), Find My Friends is very useful to me and use it very often, apps that support touch ID are a godsend (all three banks we use have touch ID support in their apps), most things are thought-out very well with heavy emphases on integration and ease of use, privacy is not an afterthought, ability to phone or simply walk into any Apple store and get hardware and software support even after warranty has expired is priceless, I could go on but I think that's sufficient.

Everything is not perfect though. Example; I much prefer Google Maps to Apple's. Also there are a number of artificial limitations put in place by Apple that I wish they would change their minds on (e.g. allowing third party apps to be set as default).

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I already use Skype/whatsapp/hangouts on my ios devices. I dont see why i should use app like facetime/imessage that only works in apple devices.

Reactions: AFEPPL

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
The fact that I have the iPad too will allow me to, temporarily, switch to an Android phone. I want to switch carriers, and I'll be using an inexpensive Android phone for the time required to get my iPhone unlocked. Then I'll go back to the iPhone and have a backup phone compatible with the new carrier. Without inconveniencing people I iMessage with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.