Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
As I said in my thread about it, Apple refused to exchange my 7+ and now my warranty is out. (Here's the thread, for reference: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/portrait-mode-glitches-my-entire-phone.2041270/#post-25950636)
The phone's problems are three, one important and two near meaningless: Portrait mode doesn't work and lags my entire phone and the camera is blurry. Digital touch features of iMessage don't work (Lag just as in portrait mode, which is terrible screen flickering.) and the photos app has consistent lag when I open it. After that, it works fine.
Now - after a year of using it - and having exhausted my repair possibilities, I'm annoyed because of two things: Apple refused to exchange even though it could clearly be; diagnostics showed that it was broken.
- The camera doesn't work fine and it takes pretty terrible photos (I compared it directly to a 7, and the image quality is worse, night pictures are entirely blurry and grainy).
I can go back to my previous 6s that works just fine, and that is on iOS 9.3.3 (so performance is top notch).
Now, returning would have two advantages: the entire phone would work well - even the camera, which I like to use, and use it fairly frequently; and it would be more portable (not that I really care about that though, I would still choose the plus if it worked fine)
Staying would have essentially a single advantage: -Battery life is 30% higher which translates to (in my experience) two to three hours AT LEAST. The thing with that is: Even the 6s's battery is enough by a huge margin (yesterday I ended the day at 70% with almost 4 hours of usage, the 6s would be... 50-60% more or less depending on usage. And I would have the real estate (not that important as I use 90% iPad 10% iPhone)
What would you do, considering that: I only like the plus for the battery and the camera doesn't work, and I love but don't really need the plus' battery. Would you go back?
PD: the 7+ is on iOS 10.3.1, so apart from what it doesn't work, its speed is impressive.

Moneoa

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2015
As a rhetorical question if I could go back to an classic iPhone that gave me a wow factor it would be when I got my 6 and then 6 plus.

Love my X

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
As a rhetorical question if I could go back to an classic iPhone that gave me a wow factor it would be when I got my 6 and then 6 plus.

Love my X
Thanks for your answer, but that's not what I asked. I asked if considering the situation I outlined above, you'd neglect the battery life of the 7+ and return to the 6s, taking into account the problems I've encountered with the 7+, problems which I can no longer solve.

Moneoa

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2015
Why have a poll about it? Everyone's mileage will vary. If you don't like the 7 plus, then get the 6s. Everyone will do something different. Yes, my reply didn't have the answer you were seeking and that's why I put a small disclaimer. It was just my own thought on which handset is better.(i.e the best one is the one you pick)

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
You could use the 6S for as long as it worked, and keep the 7+ as a spare iPod for music, movies etc. Pair it with you car audio and keep it in your car as a dedicated music player.

It’s easy enough to swap SIM cards between the two-so you could use them both?

Alternatively, even with those issues, you could sell it on Craigslist or wherever to recover some cash. Personally, that’s what I’d do. As long as it’s not iCloud locked, somebody would really love your 7+, warts and all.

Moneoa

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2015
You could use the 6S for as long as it worked, and keep the 7+ as a spare iPod for music, movies etc. Pair it with you car audio and keep it in your car as a dedicated music player.

Alternatively, even with those issues, you could sell it on Craigslist or wherever to recover some cash. Personally, that’s what I’d do. As long as it’s not iCloud locked, somebody would really love your 7+, warts and all.
This is actually the best advice I've read in this thread.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015

I handed the 6s to a family member who doesn't care about the issues. I'd have to exchange it, cannot keep both. I could sell it, but I can't buy another one here (I'm in Argentina, prices are exorbitant, and a 7+ here would cost like 1700 bucks, not an option). I was thinking on waiting, maybe Apple recognizes it and repairs it even out of warranty. Hence why I was doubting on going back or staying.
Regarding the "using it for as long as it works" it's on iOS 9 as I said, so works perfectly, and I don't use the phone much as I use the iPad for almost everything, so inherently, it wouldn't be an issue. I'm only questioning if losing the battery life would be worth it.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I have my old 6S sitting in a drawer at home. I won't hesitate to use it should something happen to my 8 in the future. Perhaps not as fast etc but it sure beats having to buy a new phone.

I assume the camera on your 7+ is very important to you. Why not have it repaired? If that's not possible perhaps you can continue using your 7+ for everything but photos, then break out the 6S and use it as a camera only. Whatever works best for you I say.

Moneoa

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2015
I handed the 6s to a family member who doesn't care about the issues. I'd have to exchange it, cannot keep both. I could sell it, but I can't buy another one here (I'm in Argentina, prices are exorbitant, and a 7+ here would cost like 1700 bucks, not an option). I was thinking on waiting, maybe Apple recognizes it and repairs it even out of warranty. Hence why I was doubting on going back or staying.
Regarding the "using it for as long as it works" it's on iOS 9 as I said, so works perfectly, and I don't use the phone much as I use the iPad for almost everything, so inherently, it wouldn't be an issue. I'm only questioning if losing the battery life would be worth it.
Get a battery case, perhaps? Mitigate the battery issue?
[doublepost=1523145159][/doublepost]Also I am very guilty of reading he subject and offering an opinion based on just that. I apologize.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
I have my old 6S sitting in a drawer at home. I won't hesitate to use it should something happen to my 8 in the future. Perhaps not as fast etc but it sure beats having to buy a new phone.

I assume the camera on your 7+ is very important to you. Why not have it repaired? If that's not possible perhaps you can continue using your 7+ for everything but photos, then break out the 6S and use it as a camera only. Whatever works best for you I say.
I can't keep both because the 6s was handed down to a family member, so I need to exchange it.
I'm in Argentina and we are in a very peculiar situation regarding Apple devices: Everything and everybody is useless in a nutshell. If I want either to buy or to get service I need to be in the US. In the thread I linked, I said that a family member travelled to the US but Apple refused to exchange it on stupid grounds, as all my issues were documented and the phone FAILED the hardware test. Here, and out of warranty now (wasn't when my family member attempted to get it exchanged in the US) there's nothing I can do.
The camera is important yes, I hesitated because of the battery but I don't need it (6s would be enough) it's just that I really like the battery of the 7+ (it was the reason why I bought it).
[doublepost=1523145293][/doublepost]
Get a battery case, perhaps? Mitigate the battery issue?
[doublepost=1523145159][/doublepost]Also I am very guilty of reading he subject and offering an opinion based on just that. I apologize.
I do have a 15.000 MaH Sony portable battery. Carrying that just in case I need it can be an option.
Don't worry about the answer, thanks for your help!

Reactions: Ladybug
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.