If iOS 5 has led notification option then...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Sep 13, 2011.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

Shouldn't the iPhone 5 possibly have an led light. Why else would that settin be there

2. charliecc macrumors regular

3. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Or you can just push the home button to see if you've gotten an email. No LED needed.

4. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Unlikely. The idea is to tell if you have a message etc without needing to pick the phone up and switch it on. 99% of people put their phone face up, or in docks with the face of the phone towards them. In that case the flash LED is not in a viewable position at all, so would be useless as an indicator.

5. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

For the hearing-impaired as an accessibility option, the full blown camera flash is more likely to get their attention.

----------

What do you mean unlikely? The iPhone 4 already does it!

6. bmms8 macrumors 68020

OP, i agree with you. it seems as if they will add an LED notification as the flash to me on new hardware seems a little weird. on the ip4 they have no other choice to use the camera flash.

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

If it does, it's probably gonna be embedded into the home button. Like an LED ring around it...at least, I hope.

8. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Unlikely it will be just the flash LED.... The location makes it useless for most people to use as a notification item. For the hearing impared, then yes it was a stop-gap measure available on the 4, but they would be a very small proportion of iPhone users.

9. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Unless of course the front facing camera gets a little flash too?

10. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

That is a possibility, and in that case the flash(es) could be used no matter how someone put the phone down :)

11. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I don't see Apple ever adding a LED just for notifications, that goes against their style.

The only way we would get one on the front is with the addition to a LED flash for the front cam (which I doubt will happen) as mentioned above.

12. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

After seeing the touchpad button pulse when I have new emails etc, I really hope the white 'square' on the home button pulses when theres notifications!

13. Agent-P, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I would prefer the home button square to pulse (like the MacBook Pro in sleep mode) rather than a ring around the home button. IMO the ring around the home button would look tacky.

14. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

As a fan of LED notification, I dont care for the flash notification because sometimes when I am on the phone it looks like I am taking pictures of people as messages come in...I stopped using it.

15. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

That is a good idea!

16. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

I hope Apple is listening :cool: that's a great idea.

17. shandyman Suspended

well it is meant for the hearing impared rather than broad use........

18. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

The home button could pulse on the front, while the Apple on the back pulses.

19. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

If Apple wanted to incorporate a front facing LED indicator for emails/voice messages/text, etc... they could easily put it in the ear speaker slot so that it wouldn't be obtrusive.

I however don't think Apple will ever incorporate such a notification LED, even though I think it would be nice to have.

20. daleycss macrumors regular

I wouldn't rely on the iphone 5 having a notification light... the fact that the option is listed under accesibility makes one wonder that this is probably just for people who would benefit from it. It is an accessibility option...

21. zmulleni macrumors regular

zmulleni

I used to have the Camera LED flash for text messages with BiteSMS and it got kind of annoying after a while. I would much prefer a glowing home button or something a little more subtle which seems to suit Apple's style. There was a couple of times in the middle of the night where my bedroom looked like a rave was taking place, not fun when you are trying to catch some Zzz's haha!

22. aztooh macrumors 6502a

So those people could benefit from it ONLY IF it uses the flash on the rear of the phone? That doesn't make much sense. Wouldn't it also be of benefit to be able to leave the phone face up and still receive some sort of notification?

23. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

You already get a 3.5" screen that will light up on the front.

24. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm speaking of the 'next' iPhone model...If you turn off pop-up notifications and use the new system, does the screen still turn on?

25. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Probably, however I'm not sure.