If iPhone 3G gets announced at WWDC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphone529, May 20, 2008.

1. iphone529 macrumors regular

If the new iPhone 3G gets announced at the WWDC, when can I expect to take one home?

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I'd be willing to bet that they'll be both shipping and in Apple Stores that very day.

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Since AT&T has issued an internal memo basically cancelling vacations between mid-June and mid-July, I think we'll see a lauch date towards the end of June. A couple weeks training time, 3G iPhone launch, then a couple weeks for the fervor to abate after launch.

4. londondude macrumors regular

The first iphone was announced then sold about 2 months later. (annouced june.ish and sold in october ). So it may be annouced at the show but sold some monts later.

On the other hand they are loosing valuable iphone sales at the moment so it may be immediate release after the show.

I cant wait.

5. Naim135 macrumors member

Just a thought...

With the coming of the 3G iphone and the release of the new firmware for the 1st iphone, does anyone think the phone launch may be delayed to let the new firmware gain market penetration? And if not will the work being done for the current phone be largely wasted if the new phone ships with new features such as GPS etc.:confused:

6. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

lol:D
    if current iPhone lands get it the next day, Australia and others will get it last week of juneish

7. jimleszczynski macrumors regular

jimleszczynski

I disagree, my gut tells me next day sales (possibly) 12 a.m. sales

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Gizmodo says...June 9th

U.S. June 9th
    Current carriers 9th/10th most likely
    Rest of world - asap :D

9. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

In the US the first iPhone was announced in early January and went on sale at the end of June, so almost 6 months. But I see the new one being available at the latest 1 week after the announcement.

10. iphone529 thread starter macrumors regular

Are most people selling their current iphone on ebay and waiting for the new one to be released?

11. rayward macrumors 65816

Software v2.0 isn't due until June 29, so it's hard to ssee how they will roll out the 3G iPhone before that. Unless they're going to be early on the software update...

12. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

"By the end of June" doesn't necessarily mean June 29.

13. rayward macrumors 65816

Ah. I had the date in my head. Happy to be wrong.

14. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

i sold mine on ebay!! :D

15. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

my guess is they will have availability right away.

16. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

17. g8bo macrumors member

g8bo

after his announcement, steve will throw the new iphones right into crowd/audience....:D

18. stateofmind macrumors regular

I hope this news doesnt effect my ebay iphone listing to much

19. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

I'm betting that as long as you sell it BEFORE the 3G phone comes out, you should still get a very good value for it. The beauty of us macrumor users is that although we know a new iPhone is coming, 90% of iPhone users probably don't frequent rumor forums, and have no idea. I'm listing mine on ebay too...and I'm even being so bold as to where the auction for mine will end on that Sunday before WWDC. I'm wanting to go the minimum time possible without an iPhone of some kind.

20. neven macrumors 6502a

I really really hope it WON'T be available on June 9th. I can't see Apple doing it either. Why? I'll be AT WWDC, and it's going to be tough staying in sessions and sticking to my work schedule instead of running out and playing with the new iPhone.

It may seem like a small thing compared to the whole iPhone market out there, but it would still be a wacky thing for Apple to do to their own event.

21. stateofmind macrumors regular

Just make sure your return policy doesn't state that they can return it for no reason.

22. saxamoophone macrumors regular

I don't see how the two are related. The 3G phone will no doubt launch with software 2.0 onboard.

At some point (and it might not be at the same time) the 1st-Gen iPhones will get kicked up to 2.0 too.

The fact the 3G phone *might* have GPS & a iChat-video support is just an extra, and won't have any effect on the 1st iPhone. Both will run the same OS, only each will have unique features unlocked within it.

23. parham55 macrumors member

Sounds like most people are betting on US availability after the announcement on the 9th. What are the thoughts on availability differences between Apple and AT&T stores? I'm trying to decide if I should drive the 2 hours to an Apple store on the morning of the 9th, or the 2 minutes to an AT&T store. I guess I could just relax and listen to the keynote to find out.

24. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

It won't be out until at least the release of firmware update 2.0. They are not going to release it with the current firmware and I would bet my business that they aren't going to release it before current owners are able to update to fw 2.0. That's just silly. 2.0 is coming in late June like Jobs said on March 6th, and I really wouldn't expect the 2nd gen iphone to be released until at least that day.