If iPhone 4 had no oleophobic coating...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MarcBook, Apr 25, 2011.

1. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Hey guys,

I keep my iPhone 4 semi-naked. It has super-clear glass protectors on the front and the back, the reason being that I want to keep the glass perfect for a possible resale in the future. The back protector also keeps the camera from touching flat surfaces when I place the phone down by raising it up a tiny bit.

Anyway, I just thought I'd point out the different it makes when your phone has no oil-repellent coating. In my opinion, it's a small price to pay to keep the glass pristine, but I do have to clean the thing a lot more. Check out the attached images to see how greasy it gets after a couple of days of use! :eek:

In case anyone asks, the photos were taken with a first-gen iPhone. Just kidding, it was done with my SLR and adjusted a little bit in Lightroom to bring out the detail. :p

Attached Files:

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

What kind of protectors do you use?

3. Ommid macrumors 6502

4. MarcBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

They're some I got off Amazon (see attached image). Pretty tacky, to be honest (half of them weren't even cut properly and so didn't fit), but they were really cheap and came with six front and six back protectors.

P.S. This photo was taken with my iPhone and transferred to my iMac via DropBox. :cool:

Attached Files:

5. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Jeez, get some oleophobic screen protectors. Problem solved. :eek:

7. Ommid macrumors 6502

Link or get out :p

8. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

That is why I never use any type of case or screen cover. Part of the draw of the iPhone for me is its design. And the protectors ruin it. I'll take a scratch anyday over finger prints.

9. Hubert Brutal macrumors newbie

this

ROFL

10. MarcBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I'd already spent so much on the phone that I didn't want to buy expensive protectors, but yeah, that would probably reduce this problem considerably. Even so, I just thought I'd highlight what it would be like with no anti-oil protection on this phone.

11. Hephaestus macrumors 6502

Buy a PhoneDevil Crystal Clear screen protector. I bought one and its a dream. It feels like the glass on the phone and it is invisible. It is antistatic so it doesn't leave a residue and it can be removed and applied multiple times. I've tried every screen protector includes the Zagg InvisibleShield and PowerSupport Protectors, and the PhoneDevil destroys all of them.

Just look at the reviews its received from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PhoneDevil-...V9JW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303737283&sr=8-1

Its not too expensive and you get two.

12. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

It bothers me that people would enjoy their belongings less to make resale better. Not like the money you get would be THAT much different. I wish people would enjoy what they have, when they have it... but to each their own. :)

13. aleni macrumors 68020

+1000

the one who enjoys the phone is the future buyer of that iPhone.

how much money would u get to sell a used pristine iPhone? $50?

i rather use the phone as it is meant to be used than have that oily phone for a year and get $50 more because it's still shiny as new.

14. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

My iPhone 4 with an oleophobic protector feels no different compared to my other, naked 4.

Resale difference between a scuffed/scratched 4 and a pristine 4 would probably be 4 or 5x what decent protectors go for.

15. MarcBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Thanks for the recommendation!

And to the people arguing against protectors, I take your point. It wouldn't make much difference to the resale if there were a few scratches on the glass, but I had a bad experience with an iPod touch in the past. I discovered quite a deep chip in the glass a few days after I bought it and I have no idea how it appeared. The rainbow effect it had where the light was going through the chip bothered me loads, so I fear the same happening again. It just gives me peace of mind that the screen is protected against such damage. :)

16. Ommid macrumors 6502

Trust me, I would rather throw a screen protector away than permanently scratch my phone!

17. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It's stuff like this that makes me glad that I go fully naked instead of wrapping my phone up in a condom.

18. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

People have different opinions on it and will never agree.

I'm just on the side that I would rather use my phone the way it came. I don't like protectors... they make it look bad. You CAN always see them if you look at it, regardless of what people claim. The front of the phone is fairly hard to scratch, if you take good care of it. The back, I can maybe see putting something on, as it is MUCH MUCH easier to scratch and you aren't really looking at it.

But again... it's different opinions, no right or wrong. I am just bothered by people that think more about getting rid of the phone than using it while they have it. It should be purchased for use. Rapidly changing technology is NOT an investment.

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I plan to sandwich my phone in screen protectors if/when I get a a flat backed iPhone just like the OP did.:eek: