If iPhone gets hot while charging... ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AceC, Jan 5, 2014.

1. AceC macrumors member

I got a new iPhone 5S yesterday, upgrading from an iPhone 4 and, I really like it.

I've only charged it once, and it has an otterbox on it, so it's hard to remove, and I can't tell if it gets hot when it's charging. I was wondering if I should check the temperature of it to see if its hot while charging, or does that really matter? Maybe I'm overanalyzing? I don't want it to overheat or anything like that.

To clarify, I can't check the temperature due to my otterbox in the way, but was wondering if I should even pay attention to it? If it got too hot, could I feel through the case?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Temperature shouldn't get too hot when charging. If it does, there is something wrong.

3. John9721 macrumors newbie

I think that unless you feel the heat coming through the Otterbox you're fine.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, you're overanalyzing. My iPhones have gotten quite warm to the touch from time to time depending on what it was doing and where it was (in the pocket, etc.). If it's actually overheating, it'll fail early and you'll get a replacement.

5. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I have a 4 it gets hot if I charge it from a really low percentage. I assume that the 5s would get hotter cuz it's aluminum. Don't worry about.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Your call but worrying about it is like the tech equivalent of hypochondria IMO. If the heat is a problem there will be symptoms.

7. I7guy macrumors G5

With a mophie case my iPhone gets slightly warm...I can feel the heat through the case.

8. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I think you should relax and try to just enjoy your phone!

9. ttinc macrumors regular

I have a 4...it sometimes gets very warm from charging. One time it got so hot that it permanently burned the LCD on the left side of screen in the middle about .5" x .25" (it's a yellow discoloration) and the burn mark becomes more prominent when the phone is warm -- be that while it's charging, being used for over a few minutes or outside in warm temperature. The burn mark is least noticeable when it's idle and the ambient temperature is very cool, but it's definitely always there.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Haven't really noticed that kind of thing with 4 or 5 even when charging from it being shut off due to low battery.

----------

That doesn't really sound typical/normal.