If launched Monday when will be able to buy most likely?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Moomba, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Moomba macrumors regular

Question is simple enough... assuming the iphone is in fact released Monday and Apple makes the announcement at the WWDC at 10-11am PST (1-2pm est) to be released/available that day, as they have doen with other products, what time most likely would you be able to buy it from a store?

I ask because here on the East coast stores open at 10am EST (a full 3 hours before the WWDC begins on the West coast.) Would Apple let the stores sell the units when they opened before the WWDC keynote even began, or would I likely just get them saying there is no new iPhone till sometime after the WWDC keynote finishes on the West Coast? :confused::apple:

2. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

no one would know!

only steve and his closest chums

no one on here...

3. Moomba thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh... kk... didn't know if there was a standing policy from prior events like this (potential) one. That they might deny any new product till after WWDC keynote was over or something. Just find it hard to see them selling it when stores open on east coast since stories of ppl getting will come out few hours before Steve unveils the product officially (potentially.)

4. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I believe historically, Apple likes to introduce new products on Tuesdays... but the first iPhone launch was on a Friday, so who knows. I can pretty much guarantee you that it will be released on a day of the week that ends with a Y. ;)

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

Some products are "released" on the day of the keynote, but are just shipped that day, like the last revision of iPods. Others, such as the 4th generation iMacs, were available the same day in stores. Some get announced to be made available at later dates, so nobody can really be sure. I personally don't think that it would be released on Monday or Tuesday.

6. mtfield macrumors 6502

with the last iphone didn't stores close mid day and then open at 6 and start selling the phone? Seems like that would be the more likely scenario in my mind. Say close at like 4 and open stores at 6 est. which would mean 3 on the west coast.

7. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

There was advance notice of when the first iPhone was going to go on sale. If Jobs just announces "available now!" you're not going to see the same level of crowds at the stores as with the first launch, so there might not be any need to organize the release the same way they did last year.

8. Corbet macrumors member

A friend of mine says his Apple Store is opening late, right after the keynote.

I wonder why....

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

That's bull. I can still make appointments at multiple stores.

10. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

Last iPhone release, stores got their shipments early morning. I remember lining up at 5th ave NYC and then getting off line to go inside to the bathroom before they closed it. Their receiving area is right across from the bathroom entrance. I saw the pallets of iPhones and the box and everything wrapped in green saran. I guess they did this (shipped it the same day) to prevent employees opening it before hand. When I came out the bathroom, the employees were taking the saran off. As soon as they closed it, they started setting up the demos.

11. iMacUser324 macrumors regular

iMacUser324

Would we be able to order it online, just to avoid the launch day madness?

12. Corbet macrumors member

There were plenty of iPhones to go around during the original launch, it's safe to assume that there will be plenty of the 3G iPhones.

13. iMacUser324 macrumors regular

iMacUser324

oh okk.
    Does anyone remeber the iphone 1 launch day payment policies. Debit card? Credit Card? Cash accepted?

14. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

15. viggen61 macrumors 6502

Almost anything that resembles cold, hard, local currency...

:apple::apple:

16. aethelbert macrumors 601

Policies from last year have nothing to do with this. The current policy is that you have to pay at least $.01 on a credit/debit card or a gift card. Everything else can be cash if you want. Launch day doesn't make any exceptions to this rule.

17. wako macrumors 65816

I believe there has been accounts where Apple released stuff at 1pm EST before. Meaning after their whole release event Apple stores finally brought out their new stock. If you went an hour before they would only sell the older model.

So if you went on Monday morning and came back Monday evening you might see a different product

18. mtfield macrumors 6502

doesn't it seem like most of the evidence on this site and other points to a monday/tuesday release? plus jobs love to say that "available right now!" line

19. aethelbert macrumors 601

No, but it does seem like a lot of people expect it to come out on Monday or Tuesday because they're having wishful thinking.

20. auburnfan24 macrumors regular

talked to at&t rep today....

talked to a rep today from at&t and he tells me the phone will be 'live' on the 13th of june at all at&t and apple stores. he also grinned when i asked about a $200 rebate....so that tells me yes on that as well. also, no front facing camera. just a few tidbits he shared with me. he said he could care less about his summer part time job at the att store. he said if he go some in the box before monday he would call so i could snap a few photos...

21. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yep, right. Make sure to travel there on your flying pig and take those pictures in an elevator.

22. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

as much as I would love for the new iPhone to be released next week, I doubt it. I think the following week for sure.

23. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

There have been instances in the past where if something was "available today" at an event it would be immediately available for online order when the store came back online and retail stores would have their UPS shipments timed to arrive after the keynote was over. So they'd either get them that afternoon or first thing the following morning.

24. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Well, I've been predicting the 13th for a couple weeks now, so I for one hope you are right.

I just sold my iPhone v1 last night so I need to have it shipped out by the end of this week. If it's not available on the 13th, then I guess I'll buy a cheap go phone and pop my sim in until it's available.

25. angel1286 macrumors member

I highly doubt that the new iPhone will actually go on sale Monday. I do think that it will be introduced but no one seems to be taking into account that no new iPhone has appeared at the FCC. Apple has to have their approval before the product goes on sale and I have seen nothing to prove it's passed.