Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy a Macbook Air if it was priced at $999?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
This makes the assumption that most won't buy it for $1799 and don't like it priced as such. I think that assumption is faulty.

It is well priced in its market (sorry, but this isn't an EEE). It's market is going to really appreciate it.

If you travel and need to be connected, this is a great machine.
Spot on! :)

no. it still wouldn't have the features that i wanted (larger and faster HD, superdrive)
The MBA is not for you. You need either a MB or MBP.

especially when an EEE would be just as useful.
Yeah right. It depends on what you want to do.

The EEE cannot run the Mac OS nor Windows. So in that regard, it is useless to folks like me.

Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D

Obviously this is a ultra-portable notebook, that sacrifices some features for others.
Good points.

I would add, IMHO, the MBA is not an ultra-portable. Rather it is a light laptop. For me, ultra-portables are under 2 pounds.

Don't get me wrong, I like the MBA and may be getting one. Want to see it in person first. But I also like the OQO Model 02 as well. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

macjay

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2003
I have no interest in a MBA at any price. The 12" iBook and PB form factors are superior IMO. Small footprint is what defines portable to me -- not thinness and weight.

When will Apple make a true compact laptop again?

The EEE cannot run the Mac OS nor Windows. So in that regard, it is useless to folks like me.

The EEE can run Windows.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
$999 would still be too much for it's specs.

I'm guessing you're thinking "its CPU isn't as fast as the MacBook, and the MacBook's $1099". Once you factor in the usual premiums for new technology and the convenience factor of the MBA's form, plus the offset costs for R&D on this thing - it's a brand new product, not an existing one with new innards - $999 is way too low.

That said, price is my only barrier from already ordering. I'd been gunning for a lighter MacBook sans optical drive. Thought it would carry MBP-style specs however, rather than going ultra-thin and low energy.

$999 is stupidly unrealistic but perhaps something like $1549/£999 (not $1799/£1199) for the 1.6 and $2749/£1749 (not $3098/£2028) for the 1.8 would have made it an easier pill to swallow.

I'm guessing Apple's 'inflated' MSRP incorporates a certain amount of risk protection as it is a new enterprise - once the stiff reception calms down and they start moving a few units we'll hopefully see a price drop.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
I'd only buy it if it had FireWire and if it was as user-serviceable as the MacBook.

Speaking of FireWire, would this be the first Mac to not have FW since Apple started outfitting all of them with FW?

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
I use my MacBook as my main machine, so I don't need another laptop. So no, it wouldn't make a difference.

morethanblood

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2007
the mba would seem way more reasonable with a price tag of $999. however i don't value portability to the point where i would compromise the speed and basic feature of a computer.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
The EEE can run Windows.
Technically, yes.

But practically, no.

When someone refers to running Windows, they are usually referring to XP or Vista. Additionally, when you run Windows, you want to run Windows apps like Office 2007 and similar.

The EEE PC as it is today, cannot do this.

I would have bought the SSD with 1.8GHz for $2600 MAX
Somehow I find this hard to believe.

MediaRyan

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2007
At first I thought, "Here is apple, at it again, creating amazing new things"

Then I took a step back and thought, "Wait, this thing doesn't even have a friggin optical drive" I hope people "on the go" enjoy hooking up an external drive to install or burn things. Less ports, etc...

However, I've come back again to seeing this from the big picture and realizing this is great to see more innovation and beautiful design from Apple. This is the beginning of something beautiful. Someday we'll be on "MBPs" the size of (or smaller than) the MBA.

Besides that perspective, $999 would not make me get it due to my interest in firewire ports, an optical drive and a dedicated video card. For a person that wants something on the go...3 pounds? Get out of here. Who else makes a laptop that weighs 3 pounds?

Kudos to Apple.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
Technically, yes.

But practically, no.

When someone refers to running Windows, they are usually referring to XP or Vista. Additionally, when you run Windows, you want to run Windows apps like Office 2007 and similar.

The EEE PC as it is today, cannot do this.

Somehow I find this hard to believe.

not with the 2GB version yes, but most people get the 4GB and the 8GB, on 4GB you can have...

FULL XP, Office 2007 (outlook, ppt, word, excel), nero buring software, antivirus (nod32), bittorrent, skype, MSN/Pidgin, KMPlayer (plays any format known to man kind)

this comes out to about 3GB, and i know this because i just imaged 2 machines and 1 HTPC, the HTPC i used office 2003 and it came out to 2GB and the other machines came out to about 2.9something GB.

NOW.. if you used tinxy XP or Nlite you can get your OS install under 1.5Gb and still fully functional, just without MS's BS, i really dont think Asus is dumb enough to include the XP drivers on the Cd as well as a full how to for the XP install on their eee if the eee wasnt capable of it

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
No. I personally think it's a cool machine, but I need much more power and frills to run Final Cut on a portable.

The size is really its greatest feature. I would assume that most people buying this are buying it mainly for the size and don't need more power.

For example, my dad is interested in giving his MBP to my sister (whose PowerBook is in the iMausoleum) and buying a MBA for himself because he's a doctor and carries his computer around the office, and he doesn't even bring his MBP to work because it's too heavy (and too valuable.) I think an MBA would be perfect for him because he needs something small and all he uses it for is internet.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
not with the 2GB version yes, but most people get the 4GB and the 8GB, on 4GB you can have...

FULL XP, Office 2007 (outlook, ppt, word, excel), nero buring software, antivirus (nod32), bittorrent, skype, MSN/Pidgin, KMPlayer (plays any format known to man kind)

this comes out to about 3GB, and i know this because i just imaged 2 machines and 1 HTPC, the HTPC i used office 2003 and it came out to 2GB and the other machines came out to about 2.9something GB.

NOW.. if you used tinxy XP or Nlite you can get your OS install under 1.5Gb and still fully functional, just without MS's BS, i really dont think Asus is dumb enough to include the XP drivers on the Cd as well as a full how to for the XP install on their eee if the eee wasnt capable of it
Don't forget your files and other apps that will take up more space. Personally, I carry around more than will fit on the 8GB model.

As a minimalist system, the EEE PC is okay. No argument there.

However, it is not even in the same ballpark as the MBA. Rather than put money towards something like this, I would rather save and have a MBA from Apple. So much more powerful and complete. Plus I can run Mac OS X. :)

But that's just me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.