Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seanofthedead

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2009
Honestly, it shouldn't matter. Unless you're talking about the bigger size (32G) then OS 3.0 should be "new" enough for you.

And I could see the people letting it slide and letting you just sign a new contract with them.

And if worst comes to worst, you can always just pay full price. I doubt it'll be something ridiculous like $600, so it shouldn't be too tough. But better save now just in case!

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Like Crombie said, perhaps AT&T will allow for subsidized pricing if you add an additional 2 years to the contract. So for those folks with 1 year left, you get the new iPhone for $200 and are now locked for 3 years (summer 2012).

If AT&T gets enough people locked for 3 years, they won't care as much about losing iPhone exclusivity to Verizon.

Sounds like a smart business decision to me if they do it.

ft

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I love all this speculation :)

I've read threads/posts here and other forums stating explicitly that ATT is going to do this, or apple is going to do that, without a shred of proof or forgetting that the phone isn't even out yet.

As others have stated, since the phone isn't out, all of this banter is just pure speculation.

Personally I'd love to see ATT provide a means to upgrade existing 3G customers, I think that makes too much business sense. Sell another phone (at rebated price) reset the 2 year contract and guarantee a steady revenue stream. On the other hand, I've seen companies do the opposite so who knows. Its just pure guessing now.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
I love all this speculation :)

I've read threads/posts here and other forums stating explicitly that ATT is going to do this, or apple is going to do that, without a shred of proof or forgetting that the phone isn't even out yet.

As others have stated, since the phone isn't out, all of this banter is just pure speculation.
You fail reading comprehension as does everyone in the US from post 32 on.

Let's deal with facts shall we? I just logged into my ATT account (I suggest you all do the same) and I called ATT. My wife has the original iphone, her account is ready for an upgrade NOW. Here is what it says online regarding her account:

"This line is eligible for equipment discount pricing when you sign up for a 2-year service agreement. You can take advantage of our no-commitment pricing option, with the exception of iPhone which requires a 2-year commitment."

I had the OG iphone and I got the 3G the day it was released, July 11, 2008. My account will be eligible for an upgrade (same as my wife's) on July 12, 2009 exactly ONE YEAR after the 3G upgrade. Here is what ATT says about my account:

"As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price, along with a 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please proceed with the online upgrade process for pricing details. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 07/12/2009"

The part in RED does not mean maybe or maybe not, I verified this with ATT it should read 'You will' as opposed to 'You may'.

Now please, let's stop the BS speculation now :)

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Talked with the guy that sold me my 3G. He said that if I wanted the new iPhone coming out in June/July, I would have to sign another 2-year contract on top of my remaining year. Not sure how much the phone would be (hopefully the same as new customers, but doubt it)

He seemed well educated on the matter and didn't go "um" or "let me check", he immediately stated this and seemed quite confident, but whether it's "official" or not, we'll have to wait and see.

Que

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2009
UK
But that's not something unique to the iPhone. In most cases the cheap handsets are free on contract to new subscribers. The newer, expensive phones initially cost money on the cheap contracts but might still be free on £80/month contracts. The HTC Diamond cost £120 or so on a £35/month contract when it first came out but is free now on the same contract a year on. And the current iPhone is now free on O2.

It doesn't follow that just because you paid for it when it first came out entitles you to an upgrade unless you've hit the point in your contract that says you are. It just means you chose a better phone when it was brand new, and that you've paid for that privilege. The contract is still the same, whichever handset you got: what you pay each month, how many minutes/texts/data you get and what the terms are as far as ending the contract early or upgrading the phone.

Steve.

yes i know.

patrickdunn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Like Crombie said, perhaps AT&T will allow for subsidized pricing if you add an additional 2 years to the contract. So for those folks with 1 year left, you get the new iPhone for $200 and are now locked for 3 years (summer 2012).

If AT&T gets enough people locked for 3 years, they won't care as much about losing iPhone exclusivity to Verizon.

Sounds like a smart business decision to me if they do it.

ft

As far as I am aware, your AT&T contract resets. I don't think AT&T adds on years to your exsiting contract.

Aaleck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Michigan, USA
iPhone Upgrade
As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price, along with a 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please proceed with the online upgrade process for pricing details. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 07/21/2009

I think that's about the date I bought mine last year, so they're not all the same... so a year after you bought your first iPhone

unr1

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
iPhone Upgrade
As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price, along with a 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please proceed with the online upgrade process for pricing details. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 07/21/2009

I think that's about the date I bought mine last year, so they're not all the same... so a year after you bought your first iPhone
I bought my iPhone 3G the day it came out in July as a new AT&T customer. I show a date of 12/12/2009 to upgrade.

But as of now, I am not interested in an upgrade. I would much rather see 3.0 on my 3G asap. BRING PUSH!!!!!

unr1

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Well, early upgrades on the iPhone 3G with AT&T were $299 and $399, sooooooo.... :rolleyes:
true, I remember overhearing a salesman on the day of 3G launch telling a current AT&T customer with an iPhone that they will have to pay 299 or 399 to upgrade to the 3G iPhone

drpellypo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
Northumberland, UK
But that's not something unique to the iPhone. In most cases the cheap handsets are free on contract to new subscribers. The newer, expensive phones initially cost money on the cheap contracts but might still be free on £80/month contracts. The HTC Diamond cost £120 or so on a £35/month contract when it first came out but is free now on the same contract a year on. And the current iPhone is now free on O2.

It doesn't follow that just because you paid for it when it first came out entitles you to an upgrade unless you've hit the point in your contract that says you are. It just means you chose a better phone when it was brand new, and that you've paid for that privilege. The contract is still the same, whichever handset you got: what you pay each month, how many minutes/texts/data you get and what the terms are as far as ending the contract early or upgrading the phone.

Steve.

yeah, you're right. You've poked a massive hole in my logic. Lol! I still think due to the fanboy nature of iPhones, o2 will allow us to upgrade, starting a new 18 month contract, when (if) the new one comes out. Just a hunch. A friend of mine is a manager at an o2 store. She may know more next week. At present she knows diddly squat, and says it's the same for all ground level o2 employees.

Bodah

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
This is what my att account says
You are not eligible to upgrade at a discounted price due to your length of service. However, you may still purchase a phone/device at the full price. Our records indicate that you will be eligible for an upgrade at a discounted price on 03/18/2010

I got my 3G on 7/18/08, I bought it on launch day, but it took a week to get in.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
All I care about is the fact that I can get one for the new contract price, despite the fact that I just got the 3G in January (because I paid for the early upgrade price, $400 vs $200). To those who don't qualify, if you have been a customer for a year, you can early upgrade for $400 (double the price of the new one if its $200).

Mengels7

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
To all you people with sticks up your butts:

We get it. We know how subsidies work. We understand we're not supposed to be eligible for a new phone just because a new one comes out. This is the iPhone though, it's a big deal for AT&T and Apple, and many of us wouldn't be surprised if they allowed us to upgrade way ahead of time anyways. I personally think they will. If they don't, I won't be upset, but I will be surprised. The $300 or so subsidy they gave me has been paid off now through the iPhone data package alone. They'll have no issues locking me into another 2 year contract I'm sure.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON

We get it. We know how subsidies work. We understand we're not supposed to be eligible for a new phone just because a new one comes out. This is the iPhone though, it's a big deal for AT&T and Apple, and many of us wouldn't be surprised if they allowed us to upgrade way ahead of time anyways. I personally think they will. If they don't, I won't be upset, but I will be surprised. The $300 or so subsidy they gave me has been paid off now through the iPhone data package alone. They'll have no issues locking me into another 2 year contract I'm sure.

LOL!

Clerk: Ok, sir. That TV will be $499
Buyer: But I really want it!
Clerk: Cool! It's a really great TV, no wonder you want it. $499, and it's all yours. Do you need a bag?
Buyer: No. No, I meant I would like it for cheaper. It is a pretty sweet TV after all.
Clerk: Yes sir it is. The 'coolest' TV going on right now.
Buyer: Yea exactly! I'm glad you "get" it. So much cheaper are you gonna give it to me for?
Clerk: ... NEXT!

bjquach

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
PA
This is what my AT&T account says:

You are not eligible to upgrade at a discounted price due to your length of service. However, you may still purchase a phone/device at the full price. Our records indicate that you will be eligible for an upgrade at a discounted price on 06/21/2010

I bought my 3G on 7/11 but purchased a refurb one in February 2009 too.

williamgallas10

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009

You will most likely be able to upgrade, just not at the full subsidy price. You will probably pay $200 more. Right now if i attempt to buy another iphone 3g I have to pat $500 plus a new 2 year contract, why the hell would they charge me less on the new iphone. Think.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota

They will NOT let you. Dream all you want, but it will never, never ever ever ever ever ever ever happen. After 1 year you can early upgrade for double the 2 year contract price if you want ($400), but you will NOT get it for $200.

The $400 makes sense. You pay $200 initially with a new contract, the next two years make up for the other $400 of the phone (since the phone is worth $600). So after 1 year, you have paid half the $400, aka $200, thus you still need to pay the remaining $200 + the phone $200 = $400

bjquach

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
PA
Heck, I don't mind paying the extra money (200 more). I just want to make sure I can get it

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I had the OG iphone and I got the 3G the day it was released, July 11, 2008. My account will be eligible for an upgrade (same as my wife's) on July 12, 2009 exactly ONE YEAR after the 3G upgrade. Here is what ATT says about my account:

"As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price, along with a 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please proceed with the online upgrade process for pricing details. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 07/12/2009"

Then either AT&T has different rules for the iphone than for every other phone they sell or they have different rules for you specifically. I'm not sure which seems more implausible.

Mengels7

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
They will NOT let you. Dream all you want, but it will never, never ever ever ever ever ever ever happen. After 1 year you can early upgrade for double the 2 year contract price if you want ($400), but you will NOT get it for $200.

The $400 makes sense. You pay $200 initially with a new contract, the next two years make up for the other $400 of the phone (since the phone is worth $600). So after 1 year, you have paid half the $400, aka $200, thus you still need to pay the remaining $200 + the phone $200 = $400

I paid $300 for the 16gig model didn't I? The full price is $600 isn't it? Either way, you're missing my point. I get the math. I understand how it works. I'm in the US on AT&T. I could see them letting us upgrade, at least at a less than retail price, maybe a higher level than a new customer. I understand it doesn't "make sense." This isn't every other phone on the market, it's the iPhone. It's huge. It's a ridiculous amount of revenue for AT&T. I'm pretty sure there will be SOME discount, even if only slight, for upgraders. Quit saying for sure that there won't be, YOU DON'T KNOW THAT.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
I paid $300 for the 16gig model didn't I? The full price is $600 isn't it? Either way, you're missing my point. I get the math. I understand how it works. I'm in the US on AT&T. I could see them letting us upgrade, at least at a less than retail price, maybe a higher level than a new customer. I understand it doesn't "make sense." This isn't every other phone on the market, it's the iPhone. It's huge. It's a ridiculous amount of revenue for AT&T. I'm pretty sure there will be SOME discount, even if only slight, for upgraders. Quit saying for sure that there won't be, YOU DON'T KNOW THAT.

Why do you think that? BlackBerry owners think they're pretty special too - what about them?

Or Nokia owners.

Or HTC owners.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

I think if it's going to happen it will be apple who helps out. They know we want it. And they want everyone to have the latest and greatest. They may do a deal with o2 etc allowing them to sell the new phone to early adopters of the 3g. I really hope they do. Come on Steve, do us a favour!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.