Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
Apple and AT&T...

You are scamming them because you are trying to figure out how to get a phone at a reduced price without paying on a full contract. It is a scam, sugar coat it however you want. :rolleyes:

Sir, his intention was to get an iPhone, and get service where he needs it.

Also, I'm not sure about giving the iPhone back, but I know there is no early termination fee for other carriers.
This was a method some people used to get out of their contracts, so they could get a first generation iPhone.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
UPDATE:

Just got off the line with ATT. The sales reps were very helpful, insisting that as long as the billing address lined up I'd be OK. (Must not have read their excess clauses...). But needless to say, I opened up an account with no deception necessary. I'm currently waiting for the email in which I affirm my new account, and approve the T&Cs. At that point, my iPhone should see the back of a FedEx truck within a week. We'll see how the next few months go and I'll report back with any changes, if anyone's interested.

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
Don't forget that AT&T has other options besides cancelling your account. They could simply block roaming from your phone or start charging you for the roaming use. What would you do then? Pay AT&T's exorbitant roaming fees or terminate the contract, pay the EFT, and unlock the iPhone to use it on another carrier's network?

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Don't forget that AT&T has other options besides cancelling your account. They could simply block roaming from your phone or start charging you for the roaming use. What would you do then? Pay AT&T's exorbitant roaming fees or terminate the contract, pay the EFT, and unlock the iPhone to use it on another carrier's network?

Depending on the domestic roaming charges (which I can't find anywhere), I may stick with it. But if they're anything like the international roaming charges, I would most certainly pay the ETF and go to Cellular One.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Sir, his intention was to get an iPhone, and get service where he needs it.

Did you read the rest of the thread BEFORE you posted this? If you did, you would have seen that he/she clarified it and I recanted. FYI, drop the SIR, it has overtones of scarcasm....:rolleyes:

To the OP, I am glad that you got it sorted. :)

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
August 13th UPDATE:

I received the excessive data usage text message and email today, and called the provided number to speak with a customer service rep about it. It has been 22 days since I activated my iPhone, and I have used ~100mb.

The first rep said they found no flags on my account, nor any reason for me to have received the messages. I called again, and the second rep said the same thing, but this time decided to call "technical support". After a 30 minute hold, he cam back saying everything the email told me, and couldn't answer any of my questions. After being transferred through 3 different departments I was finally connected to the Off-Network Usage department, where a nice woman was able to answer my questions. She told me that if I use more than my alloted data for one month (the lesser of 24mb or 40% total), ATT will take action. They will send a warning or two beforehand, and will also change my iPhone to display "Off-Network" whenever roaming (which they did instantly over the air... creepy.)

When the time comes that a change needs to be made, they give you three options. The first is to have your number ported, with the ETF waived. The second is to have service cancelled, with the ETF waived. And the third is to continue with ATT, but have your phone blocked from using off-network towers. All three of these options, if chosen after 30 days, allow you to keep your iPhone.

Of note is a contradiction between the customer service rep's statement and the terms and conditions. As listed in the terms and conditions:

Off-net Usage: If your minutes of use (including unlimited services) on other carrier networks ("off-net usage") during any two
consecutive months exceed your off-net usage allowance, AT&T may, at its option, terminate your service, deny your continued use
of other carriers' coverage, or change your plan to one imposing usage charges for off-net usage. Your off-net usage allowance is
equal to the lesser of 750 minutes or 40% of the Anytime Minutes included with your plan. AT&T will provide notice it intends to take
any of the above actions, and you may terminate the agreement.

I confronted her about this, to which she replied it is entirely up to the customer. I guess we'll see in a few days if this is true.

To summarize, receiving an excessive usage notification is not the end of the world. You don't need to forfeit your iPhone, and can even keep your number. The silver lining is being able to take your iPhone - legally, i might add - to another carrier, away from ATT's prices, policies, and generally poor customer service. Thus far, everything points to the answer being yes, you can keep your iPhone if ATT terminates your contract.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
SNIP....To summarize, receiving an excessive usage notification is not the end of the world. You don't need to forfeit your iPhone, and can even keep your number. The silver lining is being able to take your iPhone - legally, i might add - to another carrier, away from ATT's prices, policies, and generally poor customer service. Thus far, everything points to the answer being yes, you can keep your iPhone if ATT terminates your contract.

Good news for you, but I can only wonder how some of the scammers minds will work on this. I'm imagining them taking a long trip to Montana and staying long enough to get the messages. Or maybe putting something on eBay like: I'll pay you to keep my phone for two months if you live in Montana. :) (I'm only choosing Montana, since it seems like a state that would probably have coverage problems.)

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Good news for you, but I can only wonder how some of the scammers minds will work on this. I'm imagining them taking a long trip to Montana and staying long enough to get the messages. Or maybe putting something on eBay like: I'll pay you to keep my phone for two months if you live in Montana. :) (I'm only choosing Montana, since it seems like a state that would probably have coverage problems.)

If people go through those lengths to save a few bucks, thats really pathetic.

jmg391

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
iPhone in Montana

pdpfilms ,

I am about to fall into the same situation, I am in montana with an iPhone which is where I am currently using it thei most,did you end up moving to Cellular One after you got the message from ATT?

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I'm almost done with the switchover. I'm out of state right now and figured I may as well make use of 3G at least once before my ATT line is cancelled. When I get back, I'll soon receive a second message from them informing me of my termination. I've already starte up a Cell One line, and at that point I'll simply switch my SIM and be good to go.

Two important realizations that are relatively new to the equation:

-You cannot port a number into Cell One unless it's a montana number
-Cell One charges $.01/kb for roaming data. To put this in everyday terms, a low-usage month of 100mb would cost you $1000! So be sure to turn off tour data if you head out of state. Also, the $4.99 mobileweb does not work with the iPhone (I tried it for a few hours), so you have to go with the $29.99 smartphone web like they say.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
UPDATE (Aug. 26):

For those of you trying to get a hold of the Excessive Off-Network Usage Department directly, their number is: 866-704-0180 or 866-406-5247.

Just got off the phone with the 6th customer service rep today (in the excessive off-network usage department), who is canceling my account, waiving my ETF, and letting me keep the iPhone. She initially said I needed to return my iPhone in order for the ETF to be waived. When I asked to see the section in the terms and conditions that dictated this, she quickly put me on hold and said her manager had authorized my retention of the phone with no ETF.

My guess is that this is an unofficial policy and they will push the customer to return their iPhone, and most likely do. However, because the customer and ATT are bound solely by the terms and conditions, there is no legal reasoning behind this "requirement".

As of today my ATT account is cancelled, my ETF has been waived, and I get to keep my iPhone.

NOTE: A warning to any devious readers: This is not an easy or sustainable process. Activation of my ATT account took nearly 3 days of 2-3 hour phone calls, the use of a second address in an ATT area, and the shipping of my phone from ATT to that address, then from that address to me. Since then I spent roughly 12-14 hours on the line with ATT reps explaining and re-explaining my situation, simply to get single questions answered. Once it came to termination of my account it took 6 separate calls, 5 disconnects, and 4 hours to get to someone with enough knowledge and authority to do anything useful, then another hour to finish termination. My retention of the phone was made possible due to patience, lots of free time, legal know-how and recourse, and most importantly an overwhelming familiarity with the Terms and Conditions and how to use them. This is in no way a free ticket to get iPhones at subsidized prices, and nor is it meant to be.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I was on TMobile earlier, and they kicked me off for the same excessive off-net usage that ATT did. The only option here in Montana is Cellular One, until ATT completes the buyout of Alltell and modifies their towers (expected to finish in 2010-2011)

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
so what is the point in having the iphone then? you can get an ipod touch with the same storage for the same price and no monthly data fees

virgomac

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2008
The only option here in Montana is Cellular One, until ATT completes the buyout of Alltell and modifies their towers (expected to finish in 2010-2011)

Am I missing something here, but wasn't it Verizon that bought out Altell?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
so what is the point in having the iphone then? you can get an ipod touch with the same storage for the same price and no monthly data fees

Well, for starters, the iPod touch doesn't have the camera, magnometer, and OS 3.

Additionally, the OP is using it as an iPhone with CellOne. He implied that he's using a smartphone plan as well. An iPod touch can't do that.

jp70

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Palmdale, CA
I did this for 2 years

My mother-in-law lives in rural Missouri. There was only a local cell company, which charged insane amounts of money for serivce. So I added a line to my account and gave it to her so my wife and her could talk as much as they wanted. We live in So Cal so every call she ever made was roaming on another network and AT&T never said a thing. AT&T moved into her area a year ago.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Thanks for answering something in the back of my mind - if AT&T would terminate me for excessive roaming if I got an iPhone now. I guess so. I figured they might wanna hold onto me and have me as a customer here soon. I guess I'll wait until they officially own Alltel here - hopefully by Christmas. That'd be a nice Christmas present. There's so many issues involved tho I'm thinking it'll be more like my birthday present though - in April.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.