Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmufellow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Wouldn't it be awsome if Apple made a glossy black iBook? I would definitely jump for it. Or maybe even something that mixed glossy black with brushed metal? I would just like something that looked less fragile and sterile and more...well manly. haha. I have an iBook 12" on the way BTW :)

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
jmufellow said:
Wouldn't it be awsome if Apple made a glossy black iBook? I would definitely jump for it. Or maybe even something that mixed glossy black with brushed metal? I would just like something that looked less fragile and sterile and more...well manly. haha. I have an iBook 12" on the way BTW :)
I like the white. It's clean, minimalist, and I don't think it's unmanly. Unless, of course, you've got some confidence issues. Honestly, I'm glad the black era is over, at least for a while. White is the new black and I'm happy about it.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Originally posted by Cless
I like the white. It's clean, minimalist, and I don't think it's unmanly. Unless, of course, you've got some confidence issues. Honestly, I'm glad the black era is over, at least for a while. White is the new black and I'm happy about it.
I don't ever remember a black era, unless of course you talking about the "regular black" (such as a dell laptop). But I love the idea of shiney black. I agree that a glossy black iBook, with brushed metal accents would be cool. Only downside would be - It shows scratches more (example A: Black iPod Nano). But that brings up another point - everyone needs a black iBook that would match their Black iPod Nano.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Well, the Pismos were (and still are) stylish, so I wouldn't mind the next generation of 'Books to come in black, at least as an option...

Attachments

• pbg3-01.jpg
    pbg3-01.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 292

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Well, the Pismos were (and still are) stylish, so I wouldn't mind the next generation of 'Books to come in black, at least as an option...
That was a great looking laptop for its time. I bet any new design will be something we'd never guess and after we see it it will seem so obvious we'll wonder how we ever lived without it.

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
I seem to remember someone posting a link to a site that paints iBooks and PowerBooks so you can have any color you want. Anybody got that link?

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
erickkoch said:
I seem to remember someone posting a link to a site that paints iBooks and PowerBooks so you can have any color you want. Anybody got that link?

Hehe, beat you to it (see above!)

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
jmufellow said:
It would be cool, simply because people like black as much as they like white, and the iPods show that it's nice to have options. However, white vs. black would not make the iBook look any more or less fragile, sterile, manly, etc. That's all in your head and mildly ridiculous.

dietcokevanilla said:
You could always waste $399 at ColorWare
Those are hideous! Without the trackpad/keyboard/ports/etc painted the same color, the iBook just does not have the same austere, minimalist elegance.

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
My guess is the black Nano is testing the market, you have to be careful with releasing colors. Remember the 5 flavor iMac's companies produced different color mice, printers and other acessories to match the iMac, then Apple changed the colors and left them with a ton of overstock of usually a single color that didn't sell well. I'm sure though if the black Nano sells really well we may see a choice of iBook black or white in the future.

Also I think a shiny black iBook would be really sweet.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
I shouldn't be too worried about fingerprints and smudges and such. They show up quite well on the aluminum PowerBooks (at least they do on mine) and don't bother me. I clean it nearly every other day anyhow, so not a big deal. So, yeah. Glossy black iBook. That's hot.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
i actually love the white color of the iBook it really stands out and its not tacky even though it is glossy. a glossy black iBook on the other hand might be a little bit to tacky for me. even though it might not be my taste but it would be awesome to have an option.

i

jmufellow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
wongulous said:
It would be cool, simply because people like black as much as they like white, and the iPods show that it's nice to have options. However, white vs. black would not make the iBook look any more or less fragile, sterile, manly, etc. That's all in your head and mildly ridiculous.
The pure white theme does make it look mildly sterile. But the manly part probably is in my head :eek: Alas, I have issues ;)

I just checked the tracking--iBook is 2 hours away from me now! Tomorrow is the day!

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
For a notebook, no way for me! White > black, always. That's not supposed to sound racist :p, but it's true when it comes to electronics. The black iPod nano looks very nice, but I'd take white over that anyday.

Guitarius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2004
Louisiana
I'm with the people saying the white is nice. I think the white looks great, plus, it really sets me apart from most other people, as most laptops are black or aluminum. It catches people's eyes and they ask me about it, which just gives me another excuse to talk about it.

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
That's right, kids. WHITE POWER!!

(Just kidding. I want a black iBook too. But first give me some damned black headphones/lanyard-headphones to go with my black nano! UGGHH.)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Mitthrawnuruodo said:

I agree, I've heard a lot of people say they thought the PowerBook G3s were the ugliest Macs ever, though.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I love the white, although I liked the painted clear acrylic of the G3's over the opaque white of the G4's.

I just wish they could find something a little classier for the interior - something that doesn't yellow like the current palm rests and keys. A new material for the trackpad that doesn't yellow and get all glossy after a while would be nice too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.