If OS X Lion is to be Mac App store only, does that mean...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joelovesapple, Jun 6, 2011.

1. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

that software updates will now be available from there as well, just as ordinary apps are?

What does everyone think about this?

2. davidg4781 macrumors 68010

Just thought of this.... but how do you update from Leopard? Isn't the App Store only on Snow Leopard?

3. joelovesapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Yes it is, but that's not what I meant...

4. davidg4781 macrumors 68010

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread...and I just saw there's another thread on my thought.

As for your's, I'm not sure how it would work. I would maybe think it'll update the whole OS and do updates as it currently is. I'm thinking App Store is just the means of getting the software to the masses.

5. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I think you have found another hole in Apple's faulty thinking. If Lion truly is an application, why wouldn't you update it like all other apps through the App Store?

Apple is losing its penchant for preciseness and logic. I like everything in its right place. An OS in an App Store is not the right place.

6. PreetinderBajwa macrumors regular

Just Wondering

1. If the laptop crashes (for any reason), how do you get/install the OS ? Cos the OS would be in Mac App Store which is in the OS !

2. So like other apps one buys, you can download it on two machines if you have the same store ID. So if I buy Lion once I could update more than one machine without paying again ?

7. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

That's a good question. Doesn't seem right that Apple would freeze out the people who are a version behind.

8. Andrew*Debbie, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

Andrew*Debbie macrumors member

What about people without broadband?

While I have slow intermittent DSL, two-thirds of the island I live on is still on dialup. So is a large chunk of the rest of the world.

Downloading Lion on my crap DSL will be painful. I can't imagine attempting it on dialup.

I'm not just talking about remote parts of the 2nd world. My mother in Los Angeles (currently on Snow Leopard) only gets 768kbps from her DSL.

Apple is going to release a boxed version for customers on Leopard or without broadband. They might price it higher for the version jump.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm guessing there will be a $40 or so version you can order from Apple on DVD. There is a lot of software that is sold as downloads at certain places for whatever price. I know I have seen some that allow you to buy a disc backup for about an extra $10. I think the Norton security stuff is what I'm thinking about. I have bought updates to that for my mom's computer in the past. You can pay $x to download it and for another $5 or $10 you can get a backup disc, or you can just rely on redownloading it for up to another year.

I think the presentation was to really push people toward downloading it. There will probably be some bootable file that you can create for extreme situations, kind of like the old Windows 98 boot disk I had to create way too many times. But basically Apple is ditching all the added costs that go with making the discs, packaging them and sending them to stores. Sounds like a winner to me.

10. Andrew*Debbie macrumors member

Or just let us know you can download it from the store. Enthusiasts are going to want 10.7 on the day.

It takes time to replicate DVDs from the golden master and more time to get them out to customers.

You need some sort of a bootable DVD. If the download version doesn't include an option to burn at least a rescue DVD I'm not buying it.

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You don't.

When Snow Leopard was released for $29, it was clear that this was an update for Leopard users only. Tiger users never had a right to use this upgrade; their cheapest way to upgrade to Snow Leopard legally was to buy the box set with Snow Leopard and iLive.

Just like Snow Leopard, the $29 that you pay for Lion is for an upgrade from Snow Leopard only. The $29 doesn't give you a right to upgrade from Tiger or Leopard. To upgrade from Tiger, buy the Snow Leopard + iLive boxset first to upgrade to Snow Leopard. To upgrade from Leopard, buy the Snow Leopard upgrade first.

Nothing has changed except that Apple removed the simple way to get more than you paid for that was available with the Snow Leopard upgrade.

12. Chairman Plow macrumors regular

Chairman Plow

Just use disk utility. "Restore" it to a 5GB partition on an external drive. Instant boot disk.

13. joelovesapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

You're all going totally in the different direction to what I posted :rolleyes:

I am NOT TALKING ABOUT UPGRADING FROM LEOPARD.

Read my original question. If you want to talk about upgrading from leopard then please start a new thread or use an existing one about the topic.

To rephrase the question...

does this mean that the system updates for Lion will be available through the app store ala other apps, or as it is now?

14. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

I think they will still be under software update on the apple menu but they could feasibly do it through the store. Perhaps they will allow both.

15. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

There's no way to know that yet. :D

16. joelovesapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

:D

I guess not! Interesting thought though.

17. snberk103 macrumors 603

I'd bet a little bit of money that it'll be transparent. That by default the OS will pull updates down when available. (Hopefully you can turn auto check default off) and that when a system restart is required you'll be presented with a dialogue box telling a restart is necessary, and "could you please arrange a restart in the next day or two, if you'd be so kind."

If you need to manually check for updates to the OS, it should be outside the app store - but who knows. Why I don't like putting the OS in the app store is that not everyone has an Apple ID.

I have an Apple ID, but my wife doesn't. I buy the family pack for Apple SW, so it's never been issue to stay legal. I can probably get around the ID thing to upgrade my wife's computers, but it will be a major pain if she needs to use my Apple ID to upgrade the OS. Currently, iirc, even if a download is free you still need an ID and password to access the download.

I also have friend with no credit card, so no Apple ID. They recently bought a new laptop online via my ID. I trust them enough to get a cheque for the purchase price, but not enough to give them my Apple ID and password so that they can upgrade to Lion, and then to update it.

18. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

For Lion you have to have an Apple ID. When you install it comes up and one of the first prompts is for you to select a WiFi and go online. The next prompt is for you to login to your Apple Account or to create one. So yes, Lion is tied very hard to your Apple ID.

I guess this will suck more for those who are not with high speed internet, and thus maybe why they are requiring the 4GB download. If you can justify getting the download, you have a good enough connection to run Lion natively.

iCloud stuff seems to be natively integrated nicely, so yeah, you'll need to be online most of the time (I'm guessing it will work when offline, but you'll want to be online).

19. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

itd be interesting to see how they push updates for Lion, delta updates probably thought the App Store? or will take an iOS like approach.

I wonder if they dont offer DVD Media or a USB Bootable image of Lion (MBA) if you can push it to an iOS device to Install onto your Mac if you dont have WiFi or actually keeping the app on an ios device instead of having to redownload it in the event that you need to restore.

20. Redenkeew macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

@PreetinderBajwa: So like other apps one buys, you can download it on two machines if you have the same store ID. So if I buy Lion once I could update more than one machine without paying again ?

To my understanding, I think you just need to log on to your other Mac app store with your current apple ID, it will show that you have already purchased Lion and let you download and install it again without asking you to pay for the second time.

OP: I think Lion is for purchase so they put it in the App Store so it's easier for user to pay and install, unlike software updates, they are free updates for thr OS so maybe that's why they keep them in a separate place from the Apps??!!

21. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. It's always been nice to know that if my computer gets completely hosed, I can always boot from a CD/DVD to reinstall the OS. It seems like it might turn into one of those chicken & egg arguments. You need the App Store to download the OS, but you need the OS to run the App store.

I have to think that at some point a physical copy of Lion will be made available.

22. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Couldn't you use the SL disc with Tiger?
    Nice.

23. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Software updates haven't changed at all.

[​IMG]

You could, but you technically weren't supposed to. It was sold as a Leopard--SL upgrade disk.

24. interrobang macrumors 6502

There's no "supposed to" about it.

Apple recommended Tiger owners purchase the Box Set, which upgrades everything (iLife, iWork) to the latest supported versions as well as Snow Leopard.

If you didn't care about those apps, you could use the regular Snow Leopard disc with no issues, and it was 100% legal according to the license (which nobody reads but everyone is an expert on.)

25. Cougarcat macrumors 604

On the Apple Store for SL, it specifically states, "Snow Leopard is an upgrade for Leopard users and requires a Mac with an Intel processor." Are you saying this is in contradiction with the EULA?