If square is so great...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by fewlio, Sep 13, 2014.

1. fewlio macrumors member

...why does apple show so many model shots and watch pics with a traditional round virtual watchface? isn't that silly since such a device is not bound by traditional mechanical watch construction? isn't that skeumorphic which is the new no no?

Motorola got this one right and if they can improve/refine the product they are gonna eat apples lunch. Unless apple starts listening to customers (and maybe should study the most popular watch designs currently out there)

2. simx34 macrumors newbie

Unless you start acknowledging others who have already addressed these arguments, you'll just have to keep on repeating yourself.

No one is forcing you get an Apple Watch.
    You can buy a Moto 360 anytime you like.

3. fewlio thread starter macrumors member

No I can't its sold out!

And others can acknowledge my argument and address it properly and fully, that's what they can do!

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I guess they have a lot to improve.

[​IMG]

5. fewlio thread starter macrumors member

Sold out means it exceeded expectations and that they are on a right track.

6. simx34 macrumors newbie

Ok then,

I argue, that a smartwatch is not primarily a watch (which you illogically refute). It serves a unique functionality to perform bite-sized tasks that become too fidgety for your phone, computer or tablet.
    Ideas of these tasks are paved into the future, like controlling simple household actions from the convenience of your wrist.

The same is true for the iPhone, which is not primarily a phone. Apple took the cultural basis of the mobile phone, and allowed it to handle more modern and relevant tasks. The resulting form was characterised as an "expert communication's device", to which so much more would be done with it, rather than just taking calls.

Your idea that a smartwatch is nothing more but a computerised watch is uninspired. The actual function of a watch is relatively small to it's potential. And that watch functionality is the only call for a round display. Every other task is asking of a square display.

And of course you get an array of watch faces, many of them which don't conform to a circular interface.

Please extend your argument.

7. fewlio thread starter macrumors member

I argue that its as much fashion and jewelry as anything, that apples approach to the device confirms they agree, that it should have been round or one version round, and that a round device can do all the extras u reference. Fit more txt on square for crying out loud....u gonna read war and peace on this little thing?

The device needs to be functional and make users proud to wear it. Right now a lotofpeople are unhappy with the looks. Apple has a problem and fanboys apologizing and making excuses fixes nothing. U need to get on board and join the call for an additional round version.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You mean like how a lot of people were initially unhappy with the first iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc.?

So a minority of people are upset because it doesn't have round face like the Moto 360, but while the render makes it look nice it looks like a visual monstrosity on the wrist.

9. simx34 macrumors newbie

Again, your arguments are incredibly illogical. As soon as you draw the fanboy pitchfork, you've lost a grounds for mature discussion.

Everyone has an opinion on what they think is good design. This doesn't mean you actually know anything of the topic. What you are identifying is taste, but delude yourself to believe it's objective.

The next stage for technology is personality, health and embodiment. This means we're going to become more fused with our devices in the literal sense, and in order for this to be culturally adopted, it must consider individuality.

The Apple Watch and it's intention towards fashion is a necessary one of transition, yet does not reflect the root reason for such a device. And again, graphical UI elements (not a clock), are more functionally suited to the traditional grid layout. Notifications, buttons and app diversities are not supportive of a circular display. It is simply too constraining and unintuitive.

This is more to do with content and it's historical presentation. Why do think paintings have always been square. Books and documents have always been square. Need I restate that the smartwatch, is little just a watch. The device goes far beyond to enable many computer tasks. These tasks, naturally ask for a square.

10. fewlio thread starter macrumors member

As touch interface on small screens is ridiculous (reference Steve jobs trying to use the postage stamp nano when it was unveiled) I suggest theres no need to reinvent the wheel. Ditch the crown for a round face virtual scroll wheel. It need not be visually present, like a control gesture.

11. mackinmike macrumors 6502

Surprise..... How do u expect them to make money on Apple watch 2. ?

12. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Wait so Apple could have made the first generation round and really wowed everyone (bands are getting universal praise) but they purposely chose not to so you'll buy version 2? That's the dumbest thing I've heard. Moto Almost 360 doesn't have the advanced tech :apple:Watch does and it's battery life sucks. Allegedly Apple is having issues with battery life as it is now, I can only imagine what battery life would be like if they chose form over function. And let's face it that's what Moto did.

13. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Sold out just means more were sold than the supply. Apple could've released the Apple Watch Oct. 1 and sold out because there were no units to sell.

15. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Would that also be a:

Lol @ Tablet smaller than 9.7"
    Lol @ Thought of a plastic iPhone
    Lol @ Apple bringing out a giant sized iPhone

Just because Apple have not done something now.
    Don't be so confident they won't do something different in the future.

16. Menel Suspended

Menel

That thing looks awkwardly massive...

17. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I don't know about everyone else but I know which watch I'd prefer on my wrist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Menel Suspended

Menel

...Apple has had several plastic phones... 3G, 3GS, 5C.
    Was the rear of iPad 1 plastic?

19. boast macrumors 65816

boast

20. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I know what you mean, but let's be fair here:

1: The above shot is a professionally taken photo of a Apple watch on a Mans wrist, probably selected from many dozens of photo's to pick one that looked the best, and has a nice metal strap.

2: The photo below is a quick snapshot of the Motorola watch at a poor angle, on a thin girls wrist, with a poor strap (They are bringing out much nicer metal straps I believe.

If you put a nice quality metal strap on the Motorola watch, and had it modeled on a male wrist, with a nice sleeve of his shirt and jacket, I'm sure it would look far better.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Fair enough, let's compare apple to apple (both watches shown casually along with a rolled up buttoned-down shirt sleeve):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Here's a few "non professional" shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

Emphasis on male. There's no way around the fact that it looks ridiculously huge on most people's wrist. :confused:

24. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

25. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I also know which wrist I'd prefer on my arm.