If the 4G screen is not bigger, switch to EVO?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by corriewf, Apr 19, 2010.

1. corriewf macrumors 6502a

I have been pondering this since March. The EVO has soo many features and it looks like the new Iphone will somewhat match those features...Well somewhat. If the new Iphone screen is in fact smaller OR even the same size will any of you be switching to the EVO?

For me what makes the decision harder is the following:

Sprint is cheaper
    Sprint gives more minutes
    Sprint TV included
    Wifi hotspot
    Potential 4G
    Night and Weekend minutes start at 7 pm

Right now I pay 160 for my wife and me and we feel like slaves to the minutes. We get 550 to share. It just isn't enough. I don't want to upgrade my minutes with ATT as I feel 160 is way too much to be spending in the first place. I don't want to leave my iphone behind. I DO love the apps...But I am wondering if I can overlook all of the benefits switching to Sprint's EVO offers.

What say you?

2. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

The iPhone screen is big enough for a phone, IMO. The quality of the screen is more important to me. If the screen stays exactly the same resolution then yes I will probably consider alternatives.

As far as the EVO, it's the same thing with every other phone that has come out since the iPhone. Yes, the hardware is amazing and is better then all the iPhone's so far and probably even the new one, but that's not the deciding factor for me. Android is still too buggy. My friend has a droid and he's always having to reset his phone or yank the battery out to fix issues. I don't want to have to do that, so I stick to the iPhone which can't do quite as much as Android, but it does everything that it can do MUCH better.

3. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

Even if the screen is slightly smaller, it will have higher resolution. That's a good thing.

4. LoganT macrumors 68020

I read on Gizmodo that the iPhone 4 has a smaller screen. From looking at the photos I didn't notice it and still don't notice even after knowing it. So if it is true it's an extremely minuscule amount.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'll stick with the iPhone.

The size is fine by me. I've finished playing with a Nexus One and found the android OS lacking. Sure it has full multitasking, so much so my battery was used up by lunch hour. The iPhone has 150k of applications, android 20% of that. Of the applications I did find, many of them lacked the same level of depth and polish that the iPhone apps usually have.

The non-gmail app is crap, the calendar was not the best, android's exchange support is lacking to say the least.

Overall I liked the android os but it failed to live up to the same level as the Iphone.

6. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not the fact that I really need a bigger screen...I just hate the wasted space above and below the screen. It has always bothered me for some reason.

Have you tried an HTC UI phone? I have not had much experience with one but did try the demo HD2. It was amazing! I hate hate hate windows mobile and HTC's UI made it disappear in a way I thought was not possible.

Unlike probably a lot of you, im kind of a lame smart phone user. I use mine for facebook and internet with some gaming. I have had an aol email account since 1996 and have not changed. I hardly ever use the calendar...Wish I did. ahah! I have just gotten used to remembering things I have to do with my good ole brain. Not passing judgment, im being serious. I have never used an organizer or anything. Maybe if I had more friends or something, I might use the calendar. :D

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well games are the biggest differences. That's were I found the lack of depth and polish for the most part.

As for the screen size, they're virtually identical, at least the Nexus One was. it was a hair larger, but surprisingly it was a hair narrower, which produced a more cramped keyboard.

I also love the accuracy of the iPhone's keyboard. While the N1's touchscreen wasn't as bad as others reported (at least mine wasn't) I did find it inferior to the iPhone's.

If you like and android, go for it but I've found that the iPhone just works with a minimum amount of fuss or work. Where as I had to do a lot more work and putzing for the N1. Plus the N1's AMOLED screen was completely useless outside, a fact that found out the hardware.

8. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not sure if I would like Android OS or not. I liked HTC sense ui. I am a little :confused: here about Android OS.

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Personally, I don't think that the screen itself on the device is necessarily any smaller. The current 3GS has a slim, black border BETWEEN the screen edge and the bezel itself. I wonder if they just removed this border, leaving the actual screen size identical but the perceived size (especially when powered off) slightly smaller.

10. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Oh ya babby, if the iphone screen is the same size. then I will be getting the evo 4g:D

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You switch to EVO.
    Im going for the iphone 4 :D

12. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

After looking at the rumored iphone hardware, I'm still deciding whether to upgrade or get the EVO. The deciding factor for me at the moment is Sprints coverage and quality..

13. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Want to meet at Best Buy?:p That's about the only damn thing I know at this point.

Something nice about ATT is that after one year of getting the 3GS fully discounted, I can get it fully discounted again. Wonder if Sprint does that?

I really don't know how well the coverage is. Would is be comparable to Verizon with Sprint? They use the same towers right?

14. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

iPhone 4. Yup I'm down

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds good, best buy so we can get reward points :D
    Not sure if Sprint will give you a full subsidy within a year if you spend certain amount each month etc....
    About you local coverage check with someone you know that uses Sprint in your area. Each place will vary, not sure if they use Verizon towers only when roaming or if they stick to Sprint towers exclusivelly when available.

16. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

You sound exactly like me. Same situation exactly.

17. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

The only people I know with Sprint are my in-laws and I hate talking to them... Gessh! Maybe thats worth staying with ATT. :eek:

Best Buy is awesome to get phones from. Last time I got the Iphone they took a little while to activate my phones so the manager gave us free drinks. Then they gave me a 25% discount on everything I bought for the Iphone. I bought a car holder, fm transmitter, 2 cases and those invisible shields at CHEAP prices.

18. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Screen size isn't everything and IMO if that's all a phone has to offer then it's a POS. Only Spec Hoe's care about things like screen size in place of other things

19. rtabdo macrumors 6502

-1. It runs android. Wait till you see iChat. Hold the phone and use it. I've used an nexus one and I have to honestly say if feels like a cob-job os. These companies can't beat Apples software, so they just try to out spec them. Not to mention their support is terrible. You should see the complaints in the google forums, that still have no fixes.

Also, android is so fragmented. google will make a new device with a new os and you'll be out of luck, just like g1 owners.

To each their own. Enjoy your evo

20. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

If the leaked phone is real, then I'm quite sad over the fact that the screen is slightly smaller, instead of bigger. I really love the screen size of EVO (HTC Supersonic). On the other hand, if it has the same screen resolution as the iPad, better camera, faster processor, more RAM, camera flash, front camera, then I'm not totally disappointed.

I'm however seriously trying to understand what Android OS is all about before making the decision. I've started a thread to try to genuinely understand what Android got to offer. If anyone of you are interested, please come over and participate:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=665257

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

lol:D
    I know exactly how you feel bro.

22. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Only spec hoes? Man I need what your smoking. A lot of people care about screen size. My wife cares quite a bit and she doesn't know what a cpu is or does. A screen is the number one most important spec. It is the first thing people notice. My Grandma ( dead now ) could say " Hey little sack of crap, that screen is bigger than that one over there" , but she would never say " Hey that phone has a better cpu"...

23. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hate wasted space. I would rather the iphone shrink in length than to have so much wasted space above and below the screen.

24. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I would never move to Sprint(technology behind their network would limit me to much, I like to change devices often), but it may well work out for you!

Although consider screen resolution as well as screen size(that's one of the large reason the Nexus one was so attractive to me, as it beats the current iPhone resolution)

I'm hoping Apple brings the hardware with the 4th iPhone(and based on leaks, it looks like it is)

25. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

After seeing HTC and Motorola squeeze a 3.7" screen in a device that is as big as the iPhone, I am kinda disappointed that the iPhone screen will be even smaller than it already is but it's still within the threshold of what I would be comfortable using and if the rumors of the resolution boost are true, it will more than make up for it.

I don't believe that the empty space above and below the screen are being wasted. Apart from the iPad, Apple's enclosures are so small that they are typically crammed full of components.