Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Obviously, we aren't presumptuous enough to think that your typical Apple user could run a trillion dollar company, however, nonetheless, what changes would you make or what would you keep the same?

Of course, I'd probably spend a good few months learning the business, but, in general, I'd do the following:

1. Alter stock options and level the field so mid-level managers and senior executives are performance based; executives only win if the company, and your average stock holder, wins.

2. Return focus to make the Mac the computer for everyone. Rethink the MacPro and iMac lineup for business. In general, return to the four quadrant system of thinking.

3. Put more effort into developing FCP as a real competitor for Premier and DeVinci and bring back the much-loved Aperture. In general, reward those in the creative world with truly Apple Class apps to help realize their visions and make creative work more fun.

4. Kill the basic iPad and reduce the price on the iPad Air. iPad Pro for the high end and iPad Air for the low end.

5. Bring back WWDC and even Mac World for in-person events. The video's are just hour-long+ advertisements. Bring back the enthusiasm of a live audience with real, in-person demos.

6. Rethink AirPort Express, Apple TV, HomePod, etc. How can Apple take small "bullets" and turn them into successful "cannonballs".

7. Reconfigure the Apple Watch to remove all the various, confusing, options; reduce the pricing, and get this to be the watch for the common person, much like the iPhone was, and still is.

8. Return the Apple Store website to be more about selling and less about showcasing. The old store was great. I still can't understand why they changed it.

9. Shoot more "bullets" by going head to head with other basic personal electronics like TVs, GPS units and dash cams, etc.

10. Instead of playing wack-a-mole with various governments, recognize that there is a huge opportunity to recreate the services devision by offering world-class competition. I'm not suggesting one option versus another, rather, I'm suggesting to rethink how the services division monetizes other creators property so as to encourage competition rather than stifle it.

Lastly, I'd try to shuffle up the board with less business and more creative executives. The current board seems so focused on quick profits for the share flipper and less on sustained excursions needed to create great products that they themselves would want that benefit the long-term shareholder.

Last edited:

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
None of that is transformative - just moving pieces around. May even hurt revenue - Apple will have data internally that might not support some of those decisions. A new CEO needs to be looking out, not inwards as you've described your focuses here. Too easy to be the next Balmer and miss the next big thing.

Turning Apple a a force for good in society would be an interesting move now that they've accrued so much capital. They could kickstart a revolution in a number of areas. Education for example which is long overdue a change.

The internal talent isn't there for anything too engineering heavy like cars as we've seen (which means anything space related is definitely out), and I can't see them being able to hire that kind of talent either so maybe a bold new CEO could simply be more philosophically different to Jobs and Cook. They could favor open systems and equitable partnerships. That alone would change everything about Apple and open up so many new possibilities. It would also empower existing Apple users hardware.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Apple don't need any of us to be CEO. Anyone who thinks they could do that job is almost certainly on the list of the very people who couldn't.

What they need, if Cook isn't the right guy, is to find another Steve Jobs. The whole industry is crying out for vision that is not about just moving pieces around on a board, but about thinking where to move the board to in the future.

The problem is that Apple's board answers to shareholders, and by and large those shareholders aren't people who might be tolerant to the idea of the company being a 'force for good', but they're pension funds and investment profiteers with no tolerance at all for the company doing anything but making money, and as ,much of it as they can. When that doesn't happen, they sue, as we saw recently.

They're not interested in creativity, innovation or the next big thing. And anyone in leadership who doesn't focus on the dollar bill wouldn't last long at all.

On edit: Whoops, I know that's not what the thread is for - ignore what I said!

Last edited:

Mikewh

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
None of that is transformative - just moving pieces around. May even hurt revenue - Apple will have data internally that might not support some of those decisions. A new CEO needs to be looking out, not inwards as you've described your focuses here. Too easy to be the next Balmer and miss the next big thing.

Turning Apple a a force for good in society would be an interesting move now that they've accrued so much capital. They could kickstart a revolution in a number of areas. Education for example which is long overdue a change.

The internal talent isn't there for anything too engineering heavy like cars as we've seen (which means anything space related is definitely out), and I can't see them being able to hire that kind of talent either so maybe a bold new CEO could simply be more philosophically different to Jobs and Cook. They could favor open systems and equitable partnerships. That alone would change everything about Apple and open up so many new possibilities. It would also empower existing Apple users hardware.
Of course, I'd cash out, get every apple products made now and in the future and then pass the reins to someone who is qualified.

betazero

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
Simple things.

1) make a real mouse that you can use for more than 15 minutes before your hand starts hurting. Something like a Logitech but with better materials. 3 buttons too. It is sad that the thing I am touching all day in my right hand is not an Apple product but should be!
2) make a game controller and stick an M chip in the Apple TV and make a gaming console.
3) bring back the big or bigger imac and bring back lit Apple logos on the machine and an Apple logo on the front.
4) make the little things under the keyboard a bit higher so the keyboard can rest against the studio displays when plugged in like iMac.
5) stop adding old ports to MacBook Pro and go back to just usb c. This seems like a shareholder demand…. I would know when to tell them NO.
6) get rid of the island thing on iPhone. There has to be a better way. Add a tiny bit to the top that is black and stick the stuff there.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The interesting thing is no technology manufacturer is being innovative at the moment. Each new device is just a small spec bump on last year’s model.

When the iPod, iPhone and iPad were released they were truly game changers.

But those sorts of shifts usually don’t come multiple times in a generation.

A new Magic Mouse or Apple TV is a pretty small scale when it comes to Apple launches. Not really even going to be noticed by most uses.

A HomePod with a screen, camera and AirPort Extreme built in would be cool.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Put more resources into bug fixing on all their products and software. "It just works" hasn't been true for years.

Get moving on a foldable phone.

Get the cost of a VisionPro down to palatable levels.

Do something more with iPadOS. The hardware needs a better capable OS. If not MacOS, then something better than iPadOS. (side note: bring touch to MacBook Pros as an option)

iPad Mini Pro!

Those are realistic goals.

betazero

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
A new Magic Mouse or Apple TV is a pretty small scale when it comes to Apple launches. Not really even going to be noticed by most uses.
For as long as I have been an Apple user I have never used an Apple Mouse. Except the white one with the little ball that would get stuck. The mouse is more important for Mac than a power bump. It Should have a glowing apple logo and be aluminum and plastic and loose the touch stuff and just have and amazing aluminum wheel that changes its behavior based on what you are doing with it (something like the Rivian's new steering wheel things on the R2). It may seem small but the mouse is one of their most iconic inventions and should be the best in the industry.

I imagine if you asked Sony if a gaming console made them any money they would probably say yes since it seems like the only thing they make other than TVs ( I know they still make other things but I used to be a Sony fan boy ) . If they are going to be serious about it though they need to make the controller. It already is a gaming console but you need to BYOController. M2 or 3 it and Mac will benefit too from the games that will work on it, iPhone, iPad and Mac. And an exclusive game or two.

Last edited:

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Put the UX and design folks back in charge and stop making product decisions based on accounting/supply chain stuff. Make beautiful, highly desirable products again. Remember how Steve described the iPhone 4 as being reminiscent of an old Leica camera? You can’t say that about any of their stuff now. The Watch for example is fine but rather plain despite approaching its tenth revision.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I agree... it should be based on merit.
Merit, yes, (and there is nothing to suggest that merit is the sole criteria at present), but different people have different needs.

A design that works well for affluent adult males works less well for others.

Personally, - and I'm a middle aged-woman - I find all of the current iPhones far too large, too unwieldy and far too uncomfortable in my hand; I will never buy one, and shall hold onto my (almost antique) - yet very portable - iPhone SE until it dies and can no longer be repaired.

Likewise, I'd kill for an excellent 12" computer; now, I cannot abide iPads, (I need to write, a lot, for my work), but most of the current range of Apple Mac computers are - again too large, heavy, and unwieldy.

An extra pound or two in weight makes an enormous difference to someone such as me, and, while I value power, I also value reliability and portability.

Last edited:

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Put the UX and design folks back in charge and stop making product decisions based on accounting/supply chain stuff. Make beautiful, highly desirable products again. Remember how Steve described the iPhone 4 as being reminiscent of an old Leica camera? You can’t say that about any of their stuff now. The Watch for example is fine but rather plain despite approaching its tenth revision.
I love the idea of this, but it doesn't work. The accounting/supply chain people are crucial these days - cash flow and financial resourcing are life blood, and after the pandemic, supply chains are tangled and bottlenecked almost everywhere even now. These people are as important to building product for users to buy as designers. Sadly.

But I can say that looking at the 15-inch MBA in midnight, they do still make things Steve would be astonished and absolutely proud of... it is simply a thing of beauty. He'd probably not so much love the company itself though.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
3. Put more effort into developing FCP as a real competitor for Premier and DeVinci and bring back the much-loved Aperture. In general, reward those in the creative world with truly Apple Class apps to help realize their visions and make creative work more fun.

As a working creative professional for 25+ years, it's not about making it "fun." It's about making money. Producing content that meets or exceeds the needs of my clients and their audience(s). To spec, on time, on budget, using tools that are industry standard for seamless collaboration with other agencies and creatives. Apple can take their twee performative "magical and amazing" platform exclusive vision and ram it.

The less that Apple is involved in or influencing the tools of my trade, the better. Make the hardware and OS, build rock-solid, open, baseline platforms, and get out of the business of everything else—because others are doing those parts than Apple ever could hope to.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
This is subjective, but I think the argument with the iPhone 4 is mainly nostalgia. The iPhone 15 Pro seems to me more beautiful and refined than the iPhone 4. And it’s definitely more desired by people. The Apple Watch Ultra is a really well crafted product.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Likewise, I'd kill for an excellent 12" computer; now, I cannot abide iPads, (I need to write, a lot, for my work), but most of the current range are - again too large, heavy, and unwieldy.

An extra pound or two in weight makes an enormous difference to someone such as me, and, while I value power, I also value reliability and portability.

Depends on what you mean by "power." All current computers are "powerful." Its graphics performance that determines size. If you want discrete grahics, like in Intel CPUs, or higher numbers of graphic cores in Mx series, then the computers will be on the larger size. The 30 graphics core 14 inch Mx is probably the smallest with graphics punch. But the most powerful are still the 16 inch MacBook Pros or 15+ inch Intel Windows machines that will have Nvidia or similar chips. Intels with integrated video chips, or MacBook Air types, don't really have the graphics punch, so they can be smaller.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
I think Apple is still the most focused and less “accountant-driven” tech company, by far. It’s obviously much more challenging than when they were 10 times smaller, but it amazes me how such a big company can have such a reduced number of product lines and variants. Tim Cook has kept the spirit of Jobs. Actually not only him, because many of the executive board members have been in the company for decades, so I guess the real challenge will come with the “3rd generation”.

If there is something that works worse than 15 years ago, I’d say it’s communication. Specially now that we’re in this regulatory trend: most tech websites (and mainstream media), even if they don’t represent the general public, are against Apple. I think they should be more direct, and I understand that why Tim Cook has taken a different path than Steve Jobs on this point, but it’s just less fresh and honest.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
Difficult question. It is tempting to change Apple into what I myself would love to see, but I might bankrupt it by doing that.

Setting those realistic concerns aside, I would love for Apple to really focus on gaming, including VR gaming. Put those dollars to work and remake the Apple TV in the Apple Console. Buy up some premium software houses. Heck, I’d even buy Tesla.

Luckily I’m not in the running for CEO🤣

MacProFCP

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
As a working creative professional for 25+ years, it's not about making it "fun." It's about making money. Producing content that meets or exceeds the needs of my clients and their audience(s). To spec, on time, on budget, using tools that are industry standard for seamless collaboration with other agencies and creatives. Apple can take their twee performative "magical and amazing" platform exclusive vision and ram it.

The less that Apple is involved in or influencing the tools of my trade, the better. Make the hardware and OS, build rock-solid, open, baseline platforms, and get out of the business of everything else—because others are doing those parts than Apple ever could hope to.
FCP was a leader until they moved to current trash of FCPx. Aperture was great for professionals too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.