If the iPad had a back camera, would you use it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Apple..., Oct 22, 2010.

?

Would you use the back camera?

1. Yes

50 vote(s)
    15.5%
  2. No

194 vote(s)
    60.2%
  3. Sometimes, but not very often

77 vote(s)
    23.9%
  1. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I've thought about some of the most recent iPad competitors and how most of them incorporate a front and back camera. If iPad 2 had these features, I doubt I'd ever use the back camera. The front-facing one is the only one that makes sense to me. Does anyone else think so?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It could be nice for taking covert photos. Because it doesn't look like a camera. >_>

But really, I often find myself wanting to snap random photos of stuff. And it'd be nice to not have to transfer all my iPhone camera photos to the iPad.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

To take pictures? Probably not.

They'd have to stick at least the iPhone 4 camera in there for halfway decent quality photos.

For FaceTime purposes? Absolutely.

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Only a front facing for FaceTime. That's all that is necessary.

5. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

No way. You would look like a complete moron holding it up in the air to take a picture....

6. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

What would be good is if they developed an attachment for the iPad so it can be a higher res camera with optical zoom, but yes I also do agree it would look stupid taking photos with it lol

7. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

Agreed. I only find a front-facing camera to be necessary, and if Apple adds one to the iPad 2 (which is more than likely), I'm hoping it will be at least 1.3MP. A back camera may be a nice feature for some, but for the majority, it's not very useful.

8. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I too would use a front facing camera for face time, that would be awesome.

9. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I'm reaching "critical mass" on the number of cameras I'm carrying and/or sitting next to.

Not counting the hypothetical iPad camera, I have 3 pointed towards me right now, and 2 more with in arms reach. :eek:

Orwell would be rolling over in his grave.

The only thing I can see a rear facing camera for would be Augmented Reality stuff.

10. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

11. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Back camera makes sense on an iPhone because it's a small and portable device. But having a back camera on the iPad would be like putting a back camera on MacBooks - relatively useless.

12. joudbren macrumors regular

I would definitely use it. As a business user my iPad has become a big part of my work flow and the rear camera would be handy for apps like I have on my iPhone for document scanning, bar code reader, business card scanning, etc.

I also have an astronomy program on my iPhone 4 that uses the rear camera to view the sky and overlay a star chart on top of the camera display. That would rock on a screen the size of the iPad.

It's not always about taking photographs. Cheers!

James

13. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

I would use it for@

• With Facetime and I think Apple will put a rear-facing camera as FaceTime is a "show and tell" app.
    • For AR, there are a few places, like airports - where you will be using anyway to browse the web using their free wifi, where AR apps can be useful; like finding cheaper alternatives to food etc.
    • Maybe, for the occational quick snap.
    • And, in combination with a decent version of iMovie for iPad, I will use the 720p video recorder, as then I could edit it, using iMovie for iPad - that has desktop style features.

But, I would use the front facing camera more than the rear facing camera.

And, if you vote "No", then answer this - what harm will it do having a rear facing camera on the iPad - even if you don't use it?

14. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

As long as the back camera isn't overly large or noticeable, I guess I wouldn't mind (although I doubt I'd ever use it). Some interesting feed back - though I still think it'd be awkward to have a back camera.

15. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

16. DarthMoops macrumors regular

+2

Although I hope it will support Skype video conferencing.

17. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I would certainly use the back camera. Ya never know who you might see in a coffee shop, airport and such that you would like to take a covert picture of. ;)

18. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

It raises the cost of making the iPad where they could use that money to add something else that's better to the iPad.

19. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

Retina Display??? :D

20. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Honestly? No, I have an iPod nano and I've never used the camera. With the exception of just messing around with it. I doubt I'd even use a front camera if it were equipped with FaceTime.

21. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I'm always wishing the iPad had a video camera. I could make some great videos with this thing a long with iMovie. It's something about the idea of videoing an event and being able to instantly show it on the ipads big screen. My phone sucks at that.

22. filfortugno macrumors regular

$$$

uhh the price. 50$ more for a camera i'll never use? no thanks

23. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

I will definitely use the back camera albeit mostly indoors. However, I doubt that Jobs will give us the iPhone 4 camera; he will probably stick the iPod Touch camera on iPad 2.

24. iCrizzo macrumors regular

iCrizzo

I would never use a camera on my ipad if one was on the back of it as far as the forward facing camera, I would rather have blue tooth support for blue tooth webcam.. no need for a camera that would be facing my ceiling 95% of the time. :apple:

25. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

I doubt that. With the current and coming competition, that wouldn't make much sense. I don't even think the front-facing camera will be VGA; I predict at least 1.3MP.