Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you use the back camera?

• Yes

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • No

Votes: 194 60.2%
  • Sometimes, but not very often

Votes: 77 23.9%

• Total voters

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
uhh the price. 50$ more for a camera i'll never use? no thanks

Apple, almost never, increase their product's price. (Unless it's to do with storage e.g £999 for 128gb).

BTW: The iPhone's 4 camera only cost:

$9.75 for the 5 megapixel rear facing camera (with 720p video recording).
$1.00 for the VGA front facing camera.

So, if Apple uses a 3 megapixel rear facing camera than, I assume, that would be $5.00

Adibobea9

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2007
I plan on using my iPad as a sketchbook for ideas, so if I find something that interests me or and idea comes to mind, I want to take a picture of it and go back to my desktop and finalize everything. So yes, I would love a back camera. The reason I have yet to get the iPad is because I felt it should have been there day 1…

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
I think a front facing camera with a few more megapixels will be fine. A back camera might be only put if FaceTime protocols require them, but I wouldn't see a use for them.

Now maybe the ability to sync and use the camera off an iPhone could be an option.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
I've just thought of another use: in university, when the lecturer draws a diagram on the board - instead of "drawing it" on the iPad - you can take a picture of it.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
Using a back facing camera on the iPad would be like trying to use one of the old wood frame large format cameras as a point and shoot. Very clumsy indeed.

No I don't think it would be necessary or used very much. I use my iPhone and then download the photos to the iPad via the Camera Connection Kit. Or I use the Camera A Camera B app which allows you to use an iPhone to take photos with the iPad. You might want to try that, it works great.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

It's Apple's choice - isn't it?

People want a choice of a hardware switch being the orientation lock on iPad 4.2.

People want the choice (or BTO) of blu ray drives.

People want the choice of adding HDMI to Macs or other things found in top computers (ms pro duo, etc.)

Apple doesn't care ... they will do what they want to do. Even if noone wanted a rear facing camera in the iPad they will still put one on - just so every major idevice has one. But it can work the other way round (like lots of people want blu ray but Mr Control Freak says no - even though the licensing has "calmed down"), Steve could say that tablets don't need rear facing camera's, even though all the other tablets on the market have one (two - front facing one).

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I really don't see the point of a rear facing camera on the iPad. It's too big to be a camera.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
iPad camera would be AMAZING!

I cant believe all the people who say no. I think the poll should read..."if you don't have an iphone or other high res smart phone".

The ipad is my main tool. I even stopped carrying my smart phone on my hip. It is an older phone with only a 1.3 mp camera. I carry it in the front of my iPad bag, but it is a pita to get it out to take a picture on it and it sucks.

If Apple put a 5mp camera in the iPad, it would be amazing. Ansel Adams shot with an 8x10 camera and we all benefit from what he did. A camera equipped iPad would be quit the party pad. Everybody would love it. Take pictures, turn it around and have a slide show.

I shop with my ipad all the time. I so much want to be able to take pictures with it in stores.

I also wish I could shoot documents into the iPad. Think about the ability to image a document in a group meeting, take it into an editor, like a painting program, modify, and email out copies to your group or team members.

I don't expect ipad to replace my dslr. But most people know how nice it is to compose a picture with a 3" screen versus the 1.5" screen of 2004 digital cameras. Now imagine composing a snap shot with a 9.7" screen. It would be AMAZING!

I think people are being be narrow minded to how useful a camera on an iPad would be.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
No way. You would look like a complete moron holding it up in the air to take a picture....

Yeah, totally. I wouldn't really see anyone doing this if they just want a quick little snapshot. I see Apple just slappin' a FaceTime cam on the iPad 2G.

HuggyLowDown

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2010
Northern Virginia
Hahaha, I wouldn't see why anyone would use a camera on the back of their iPad. Taking a Facebook profile picture in the mirror, like most people do these days to be cool, would make them look like a retard. :p

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Personally, I'd like a rear mounted camera, not because I want to go out with my iPad to use as a camera.

But if I happen to have my iPad in my hands, and something happens I can just raise the device up and take a quick photo or video without having to find/reach for another device.

I don't want a front mounted camera as I will NEVER EVER use facetime.

I have never wanted an WebCam for any computer and I have never bought a webcam, either as I prefer voice.

Video phones landline and mobile have been around for years and years and people just don't use them after an initial novelty period.
If people did then they would have been using them year ago when they came out, not just now as Apple have done the same.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
No, I would not use a camera on the iPad, and hope that one is not added in the next iteration.

Jude

Out of interest I'd like to ask a question regarding your comment if I may.

I can appreciate that you may not personally have a need or desire to use a Camera if it's fitted into a future iPad model.

But may I ask why you "Hope" that it's not fitted if other people would like to have a camera in the device?

I'm curious as to why you seem to wish to stop other people having the option, even if it's something you don't wish to have?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I cant believe all the people who say no. I think the poll should read..."if you don't have an iphone or other high res smart phone".

The ipad is my main tool. I even stopped carrying my smart phone on my hip. It is an older phone with only a 1.3 mp camera. I carry it in the front of my iPad bag, but it is a pita to get it out to take a picture on it and it sucks.

If Apple put a 5mp camera in the iPad, it would be amazing. Ansel Adams shot with an 8x10 camera and we all benefit from what he did. A camera equipped iPad would be quit the party pad. Everybody would love it. Take pictures, turn it around and have a slide show.

I shop with my ipad all the time. I so much want to be able to take pictures with it in stores.

I also wish I could shoot documents into the iPad. Think about the ability to image a document in a group meeting, take it into an editor, like a painting program, modify, and email out copies to your group or team members.

I don't expect ipad to replace my dslr. But most people know how nice it is to compose a picture with a 3" screen versus the 1.5" screen of 2004 digital cameras. Now imagine composing a snap shot with a 9.7" screen. It would be AMAZING!

I think people are being be narrow minded to how useful a camera on an iPad would be.

Agree 100%

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'd use it. I'm planning to use filemaker go for an inventory database of Ict equipment at work. The iPad would be easier to use fir this than an iPhone and being able to snap a quick pic of things to insert into records would be pretty handy. Am I likely to take family pictures with it? No. But there are plenty of times you might want a quick photo of something on your iPad without resorting to emailing from your iPhone, especially if you don't have Internet access. Would be nice to have.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
Out of interest I'd like to ask a question regarding your comment if I may.

I can appreciate that you may not personally have a need or desire to use a Camera if it's fitted into a future iPad model.

But may I ask why you "Hope" that it's not fitted if other people would like to have a camera in the device?

I'm curious as to why you seem to wish to stop other people having the option, even if it's something you don't wish to have?

I have a dslr, iPhone camera, and for me, I don't see a need. However, if the addition of a camera will not add to the cost of the unit, or affect the aesthetics, then fine if others would find use for one.

Jude

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010

But I bet majority of us have phones and separate cameras. I wouldn't use it for face time so a camera for me is worthless. But I can't imagine it wouldn't add to the price and to the bulk if one was added. But I also won't be getting an iPad 2. iPad 3 probably but the one I have now is a two year investment.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 6, 2010
The United States
Hahaha, I wouldn't see why anyone would use a camera on the back of their iPad. Taking a Facebook profile picture in the mirror, like most people do these days to be cool, would make them look like a retard. :p
I'm pretty sure Apple will include a front-facing camera on the next iPad iteration. Your point?

Personally, I'd like a rear mounted camera, not because I want to go out with my iPad to use as a camera.

But if I happen to have my iPad in my hands, and something happens I can just raise the device up and take a quick photo or video without having to find/reach for another device.

I don't want a front mounted camera as I will NEVER EVER use facetime.

I have never wanted an WebCam for any computer and I have never bought a webcam, either as I prefer voice.

Video phones landline and mobile have been around for years and years and people just don't use them after an initial novelty period.
If people did then they would have been using them year ago when they came out, not just now as Apple have done the same.
I'm sorry to say, but a front-facing camera is almost 100% guaranteed. It wouldn't make sense for Apple to not include one on the second-gen iPad. Just sayin. ;)

No, I would not use a camera on the iPad, and hope that one is not added in the next iteration.

Jude
"Hope"? What about all the other people who said 'yes'? It's not your decision. We're people - we have preferences.

I want an IPad, but know to never buy the first of anything, and I am holding out for the camera's.
:cool:

I have a dslr, iPhone camera, and for me, I don't see a need. However, if the addition of a camera will not add to the cost of the unit, or affect the aesthetics, then fine if others would find use for one.

Jude
I highly doubt it. It's just not likely for Apple to change pricing one year after its release. I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Does anyone think there will ever be an external third party (web)camera for the iPad?
Not if Apple includes a FaceTime camera in the next iPad...

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The next one will get two cameras just like the iTouch. Not necessarily for taking photos, although you could, but to switch the view in FT. That is, after all, one of the slickest features of FT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.