*IF* the iPhone 5 turns out to be a bit poo

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sir Ruben, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Sir Ruben, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2011

Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Okay *IF* and its a very big IF, the new iPhone failed to impress, for example 1 new handset that really is just an iPhone 4S, I cant see the point dropping £500 on a minor upgrade.

SO.....having tried android and really not liking it (for me its a poor rip off of IOS), I am seriously considering Windows Phone 7 on a handset such as the HTC Titan or the high end Samsung (cant remember the name now!).

For me Window Phone 7 seems like a genuine attempt at creating a fresh new mobile OS rather than just blatantly ripping of IOS and bolting everything under the sun onto it.

Windows 7 on a quality handset seems like a pretty decent way to go, but what do others think? Oh and before this turns out into what is becoming a very common occurrence of Android users using any old topic as an excuse to try and convert us all, save it. All I want is genuine opinions from other iPhone users on what they think of Windows Phone 7 platform. I have already experienced Android at its best on the SGS2 so it has no bearing on this topic.

However all of the above may be irrelevant if the redesigned Iphone 5 is a reality!

Anyway here it is:

[​IMG]

2. BUFFBOY macrumors regular

3. npep macrumors member

No thank you...if it is a spec bump with the same design, I will just buy a iPhone 4 off contract and wait for the next design.

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I am looking at the Windows phone. Looks like the OS has grown up with Mango. It is too bad that MS did not start the Win Phone with Mango as many, including me, were VERY disappointed with the first version.

If MS comes up with the improved software and they come out with some great hardware, then Apple and Android will have some competition!

Apple is no longer the ONLY show in town, Android have proved that!

5. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

>monochrome tiles
    >innovative

Try again. Android, iPhone and even WebOS is more innovative than Windows Phone.

6. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

I really like the "Metro UI" and like you say its a very original OS in term of UI , cant speak about actually using it because to be honest the only experience close to win. Phone 7 ive had was with the twitter app "Maha" wich uses Metro style animations :p but i dont think i will change to another mobile just because whe get a minor upgrade these year in the end iphone 4 still strong device and can probably hold me to next year. I went from iphone 3g straigh to iphone 4 :)

7. henchosbandito macrumors member

A genuinely useful thread in the run up to the announcement!

I've been considering an alternative myself. My iPhone 4 has just been replaced with a refurb because of a faulty home button, so to be honest the handset feels like new. I don't feel like I would need to upgrade just for the spec bump.

I've been considering an HTC Sensation running Android but the stories I hear about a poorly managed marketplace and untidy OS (I have no idea whether they're true or not as I have no experience, but just saying...), it seems like Windows OS would be a sensible solution. It would be helpful to have a weeks trial period or something just to see what it's like.

It's nice to read something other than guesswork on the new iPhone when no one really has a clue. So thanks.

8. energetic macrumors newbie

energetic

It may sound just logical to go for another device, in case the new iPhone dissapoints you. However, you should consider this. From the moment you get your hands on an iPhone, it is really hard to move into another direction. On a personal note, anything else than an iPhone, seems just awkward to me. Apple has done a great job to present a device with a great OS and feels just as it is a part of you hand while using it, browsing, accessing mail, or even simply go through the menu. The response of the screen with a touch of your finger(s) cannot be compared to the competition out there. On a side note, I'm confident that Apple won't disappoint us when the time comes this Tuesday.

9. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I've never given WP7 a glancing thought or even tried out a phone to see what it's like but having a Windows 8 VM has piqued my interest in it and I will consider going to my local VZW store to give it a try.

If the next iPhone is a total disappointment I will go with the HTC Vigor or Samsung Prime. I still don't get why people think Android is a blatant iOS ripoff. Any graphical UI has icons of some sort. Android has more flexibility and capability in it's UI than does iOS. It's not just a static set of icons as iOS is. Now I can say the initial layout of 4 somewhat static icons on the bottom "dock" and then swipeable screen with 4x4 layout is similar.

10. Robby S macrumors member

Or, how about doing the unthinkable and just sticking with the very good iPhone 4 that you already have? Yes, I'm looking upgrade too, but if it's not much of an upgrade I will just stick with what I've got rather than waste money on anything else that means I lose access to all of the apps I've invested in.

11. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I tried a Windows Phone 7 recently for a few days. It's quite impressive and a qualified alternative. It doesn't get much acknowledgement on an Apple forum which is to be expected. Yet I'm one that likes variety and own other phones as well. Microsoft is far from dead as some would have you believe. I would imagine they may get it right this time. If so, it's going to have quiet an impact.

I don't expect much from iPhone 5, so I'm going to wait for iPhone 6. In the meantime I've got a fresh new competitor that iPhone users love to bash. That will serve me well for the next year until version 6 is released. I'm a huge Apple loyalist, just not a blind follower who is closed minded.

12. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

The Titan is looking to be my most wanted device. The deep integration of everything, as well as the simplicity of the OS really attract me, and that screen size looks amazing.

13. Robby S, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

Robby S macrumors member

So, the fact that I do not like the Android OS and have no interest in a Windows 7 phone, means I'm a blind follower? The fact is, I have a lot invested in the iOS eco-system, which is a good OS, and the hardware design just happens to follow that quality. I don't feel the need to change just because there is something else out there and for fear that I'll be ridiculed for being called closed minded. I'm just happy with what I have.

You won't find me bashing anything because I don't feel insecure about my purchase decision, and there isn't really any other reason why you would bash something.

14. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

>posting like it's 4chan
    >on MacRumors

I seriously hope you guys don't do this

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have not heard anything bad about WP7 (aside from the fact that no one is buying them), yet I can't bring myself to think that the metro UI is good for anything. The current iOS UI is pretty good, the android UI is better as you have more ability to customize it.

16. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

wow you and me think alike! I thought I was the only one that hate metro UI.......

17. Sir Ruben thread starter macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I would love to get my hands on a Titan for a short while to play with it. Thats what I did with the SGS2. I love iPhone so Im not saying I WOULD switch to Windows Phone 7, its just another option.

If I didnt like it my other alternative would be to stick with my iPhone 4 and give this iPhone a pass.

We all know that Apple are a smart company though and Id like to think that they have something amazing to show us on Tuesday.

18. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

19. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I'll just stay with my iphone 4 and laugh at those who have already sold their unit before having any confirmed details about the update. :D

-

20. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

21. iBreatheApple macrumors 68030

iBreatheApple

Not everyone is from America.

22. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

The only thing Microsoft can make is an Xbox.

23. Neocron macrumors member

Same here, I won't change to a 4S. iPhone 4 with iOS 5 is awesome :)

24. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

no thanks , but I do agree that Windows Phone brings a new look - without any rip offs.

25. auxsend macrumors regular

auxsend

WinMo7 is kinda fun. For about a week.

No, if the iPhone is a 4s, it's gonna be a GSII or the new Nexus for me. And based on polls, a lot of other people too.