IF the iPhone gets killed....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TSX, Apr 3, 2009.

1. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

IF the iPhone gets killed by the palm Pre do you think apple will push back the release date of the iphone?

2. Apple iKid macrumors regular

I doubt it. It seems like it would just be more motivation for them to release it. An update would do them a lot of good if they get 'blown out of the water' so to speak. I dont think they will though.

Not too bad.
    :eek:

3. mikey28 macrumors 6502

Seems like it would be very hard to kill:

meaning the current iphone and its previous version have been missing some very basic things
    video
    mms
    copy/paste
    AND STILL its a HUGE seller. How can you beat that?

4. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Oh yeah, I'm shakin' in my boots! Gawd, why do people get into all the HYPE about the next iPhone killer? It hasn't happened yet, and I've always said the only thing the iPhone has to worry about "is the next version of the iPhone!" Yeah, the iPhone getting killed? In your dreams.

Let's see the LG Vue, the INStink, the BB Curve, Bold, Storm, the G1, Motorola ANYTHING, gawd, I mean the list is long, but certainly not distinguished...:eek::eek::eek::eek::p:p:p:p:p:p

6. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Apple wouldn't change a thing because I'm pretty sure they built the product they believe will be competitive for the next year. Not to mention that making changes based on a competing device would appear as though they were admitting to a mistake.

But like others, I don't see the Palm Pre as an iPhone killer anyway. The iPhone is a careful balance of many features and the next version eliminates almost all the complaints - obviously not multitasking, but I think the notification server will nullify the need for multitasking for most applications.

The Palm Pre, along with most "iPhone killers" bank on filling in the void of iPhone's shortcomings while incorporating touch so they are similarly classed. Not only are most of iPhone's voids gone, but those devices fail to balance the rest of the features and the device usually ends up being mediocre at best.

7. alumac macrumors member

Hahaha.. that is one funny Title. LoL. At first I thought you were mocking all the million and one reports of "iPhone Killers".

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The iPhone will be around after the Pre or whatever is released.

Apple is busy upgrading the next version of the iPhone. New hardware and an update on the OS will definitely improve it's capabilities.

So if you want to compare the Pre compare it to the next version of the iPhone.

9. randomusername macrumors 6502

The iPhone will not get killed by the Palm Pre, and even if it did it would not be pushed back. That would make no sense. "Hmmm...we have a great, new product ready and are current model isn't selling as well anymore...let's wait and have our numbers go down even more."

And how would the Pre kill the iPhone? Everyone knows about the iPhone and many, many people want and love the iPhone. When the general public thinks of Palm they don't know what it is or they think of the archaic phones and operating system. And what will sell better with normal people? A well known, up-to-date, loved brand? Or an old, not well known brand?

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

Killed. Right. This is impossible, simply because of the brand name.

11. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I have a feeling that the Pre won't be released before the iPhone anyway...

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

With all these iPod and iPhone killers running around, you'd think at least one of them would be in jail already.

13. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

iPhone killer does not exist. Apple could make a phone with a one inch screen and a slide out micro keyboard and they would sell a million in under 30 days

14. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

LOL... my thoughts exactly. :D

--

No the iPhone is not going to be "killed". There may be competition someday, but just like with computers, I believe Apple will stay neck and neck with any company if not ahead (which I believe they already are).

15. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Damn this must be the joke of the year, I mean if the Palm Pre had come from a company that isn't on life support, but friggin Palm, a company on their deathbed, you must be joking, if the G1 or Storm from successful companies couldn't do jack to the iphone, the Pre from Palm is the one to do this. :D

16. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I'm going to say this now and deal with the replays later....

I think the Palm Pre is a VERY nice phone. As innovative as the iPhone was 2 years ago.

That being said, I wish it has 32gb worth of storage. That's the sole reason why I can't/won't buy it.

17. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Maybe

Does anyone think because of the Pre that the iPhone may end having better specs that originally planned? After all Apple has a chance to see/use the Pre and read about the positive hype.

Just maybe because of the new Palm we might see a few things we did not expect in the next new iPhone.

18. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Errrm no, Apple plans their products years in advance and not based on latest unreleased phone that people on blogs want to harp on about.

19. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Im pretty sure when palm decided to build a touch screen they played with the iphone first. Because coming into the market you always want to beat the top product in the market, why enter the touch screen market if u cant be #1. If the Pre comes out before the Iphone im sure someone at apple is going to buy a Pre to compare the two phones to make sure its not a better phone.

20. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I continue to ask but fail to get an answer from anyone who makes your claim - I sincerely want to know, how is the Pre as innovative as the iPhone was two years ago?

I see a phone that's almost the iPhone but with a limited developer kit and background apps - which are in no way new.

21. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

And plus it's supported by a company on it's deathbed.

22. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

User Interface, User Interface and the User Interface

The UI on the iPhone/iPod Touch looks older now. The Pre looks more useable ... almost friendly.

Plus - Background Apps are nice to have.

So to the consumer, the iPhone and Pre have pretty much everything in common. Only the Pre allows for Background Apps, closer knit program tie ins. (If you buy movies tickets online, it will automatically add it to your calendar... This might be a thing on the iPhone now with more APIs.) and a physical keyboard.

The downfall is that is has less storage.

23. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Tell me again how it's as innovative as the iPhone was two years ago...

24. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Jailbreak! :D