If the MP 2010 looked like this

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rtrt, Sep 28, 2009.

1. rtrt, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

All that power to light up crappy leds and all the extra cooling could be used else where (or not at all).

Im a designer and I have to say that thing is cringeworthy to look at.

4. prodigee macrumors 6502a

I can understand why Mac users wouldn't want this because it breaks far away from the simplicity in design that they are used to right now, and really that simplicity is beautiful.

Personally I like that case, and in anodized aluminum it would look so sick, but the thing is I wouldn't want it for a Mac it just doesn't look like one, would I use it for my desktop rig, hell yeah I would but for a Mac, I wouldn't. Just my $.02

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The Mac Pro is designed to be functional and look good at the same time. The Thermaltake looks good, but isn't very easy to use.

6. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

That looks horrid for a Mac, although for a Windows PC :D

7. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

You can totally tell it was designed in part by BMW. Chris Bangle probably had some influence on it, because, like the cars he skinned, it is controversial and polarizing. I like it, just like the Z3, Z4, and X3 (just some of the most controversial examples; I like most Chris Bangle cars).

8. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

While I don't like Thermaltake products in general, I do admire their "Think Different" approach sometimes. This is an interesting departure from the ubiquitous tower concept used by everyone else.

Although it would be expensive, I'd like to see a PC enclosure system that offered stackable components that were each separate, but connected by some innovative and attractive interconnect or at least cable guide or conduit. One component for the PSU(s), one for the mother board, one for hard drive storage, one for optical storage, one for water cooling gear, etc.

9. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

10. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

I think too many of you have been poisoned by steve jobs' reality distortion field.

Its a cool case, period.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No doubt, but it's not suitable as a Mac.

12. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

How so? Its a case; it holds a motherboard, processor, ram, some drives, a graphic card and slots for expansion.

I don't see the logic in 'its not apple branded, so its not suitable as a mac'

With that logic, why are people running Windows via bootcamp? Because it IS suitable.

13. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Like a modular building! I'd gladly pay a premium for a case like that.

14. Whiteyez macrumors regular

I love Mac Pro the way it is right now, and i can't think a better design for it..

15. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

You're missing the point; it doesn't look like anything Apple would ever use. It would be out of place in their line up.

16. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

thats obvious, it doesnt resemble apple's product lineup, but there is nothing limiting in the use of such a case for a 'mac pro'

17. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

if the mp looked like that i would have a hard time deciding if it was a mac or and over sized ps2 slim on a vertical stand

18. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah, I saw that prototype in Tokyo a few months ago at some electronics show.

It sucks!

Looks OK in a photograph though.

BTW, it's actually pretty huge! Not like a PlayStation at all.

19. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's made of anodised aluminium. :confused:

20. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Id like it in a sci fi movie, not sure Id like it as home decor. The text on it is stupid and makes it hard to take it seriously.

While the Mac Pro is long in the tooth and starting to look retro and out of date I think it would look better in a home than that. Maybe. the Mac Pro is getting pretty old and unattractive, its hard to consider it a good looking case still.

21. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

22. pprior macrumors 65816

That case is horrid looking. I would need constant dusting with all those surfaces to catch detritus and it's just plain nouveau riche looking, like it's trying too hard. Well I guess kind of like most of the newer BMW designs...

I would l like to see a new MP case personally, but that is DEFINITELY not it! :eek:

23. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It weighs too much and uses way too much excess power.

But it is really cool. I like the MP design better though... people recognize it easier and it takes less time to explain what kind of big black monster you have for a computer.

24. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Here's some pics so you can get an idea of how mammoth and how badly designed it is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I'd have to really look inside the case, to see how it cools its components... I suspect it'd be more a cable-ridden nightmare - the Mac Pros are, easily, the BEST case designs I've ever seen. Generic PC hardware won't be able to go there anytime soon...

I don't use Bootcamp. I do use Crossover Mac and VMWare Fusion... but compared to Mac apps, I hardly have to touch the emulated stuff. :D

Also, hackintosh is illegal, not as stable, um it's hacked... so, no, it won't be as suitable. That's why Apple keeps control; their reputation would get hit to the point where even Microsoft would almost look good if they opened everything up for everybody. It's a blessing, and a curse (a couple iPhone apps have to be segregated from core OS functions and one I wanted to develop would not get through... which is sad since mine would do something rather better than imitating a crying baby... :mad: )

Thanks MUCH. It looks like one of those awful garage mechanic tool sets one can buy at Sears... puke...