If the new dock connector is real...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Jun 3, 2012.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

If this redesigned dock connector is real, what are we supposed to do with our docks, especially cars with a built in non removable iPod connector?

Does this mean more dongles and adapters that we can lose? I understand that not all 30 pins are needed, but thanks to the old iPods of the past, now we will have a bunch of useless equipment around the house, and best keep an old iPod around for the car until you feel the need to upgrade your car too, Or find an aftermarket solution to fix that issue.

Also the 30 pin seems to be best for docks as it is sturdy enough to hold the phone upright.

2. sixteen12 macrumors regular

A lot of the focus for docks lately has been going to airplay anyways, it'll suck a bit but honestly its not the end of the world. I'm sure someone will come out with a new dock connector to 30 pin adaptor.

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I imagine Apple or someone will make some sort of adapter, it would definitely be cheaper than having to repurchase everything.

4. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Things change sometimes you just have to get over it as its normally for the better especially concerning connections/ports.

VGA - HDMI or in other words itl only get better.

Small connection more room inside for better things.

Edit: like the other guys have mentioned, itl be likely there will be an adapter of sorts to get around such an issue.

5. stickybuns macrumors 6502

Although needing an adaptor will be annoying, there is only so much space to fit new/better components within the phone's body. Even though the change will be inconvenient, it is probably for a good reason.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Apple will make an adaptor. It will be expensive. A month after launch lots of people will make adaptores. They will be cheap.

7. aleni macrumors 68020

thanks God you're not working in technology research and development, or we all still will be using a huge serial port for printers. time moves on, new stuff becomes old, the transition costs money, but it is better for the future.

8. iamjose macrumors regular

It'll stimulate the economy! You'll have to buy new cords, docks, and cars. IT'S A WIN/WIN.

On a serious note, I hate the idea of a new port but hopefully its a good trade off and leaves room for something else on the inside.

9. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

I suppose our older iPods will still connect with those older docks... I have an iPod Nano specifically for my vehicle, and I'm sure most people around the forum have more than a few iPods... No worries here.

10. ericDylan macrumors regular

Yeah that is exactly what i plan to do.. I have more iPods than radio and speaker docks around the house, so I am just going to keep them for that use when i want to listen to music. I do not plan on buying 5 or 6 new speaker docks and radios that are compatible when I get the new iPhone. It will be inconvenient, but I will get used to it.

I will probably cave and get one for my bedroom though, just so I have somewhere to charge it easily.

11. vistadude macrumors 65816

Adapters may work for built-in car docks and radio docks. I started to buy universal audio transmitters that work with 3.5 mm jacks since apple always changes ports and connectors and I figure I might go with a non apple music device or phone at some point. Only problem is that I have to use the phone to control the music instead of car buttons.

12. ElZeus macrumors regular

I hope they bring out the adapters out in a timely fashion, it would suck to go back to AUX connector with the current "iPod Compatible" head units.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Your 30 pin accessories are useful as long as you continue to use your 30 pin devices. Are you replacing all your 30 pin IOS devices as soon as Apple switches?

As for the car, you can upgrade the interface and/or stereo or possibly use an adapter as mentioned above. You don't have to replace the entire car. :rolleyes:

The sky isn't falling just because they're changing the dock connector. It's nothing new for Apple to drop legacy stuff. They've done this many times over the years. If this is a deal breaker for you then you should have done your due diligence before making the purchase.

So you've tested the new dock connector already and reached a verdict? or are you just assuming?

14. toondw macrumors 6502

Of course if they used micro USB.................or am I onto a looser there? ;)

15. MacAgnostic, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

MacAgnostic macrumors regular

MacAgnostic

It looks like a Micro USB fits in there pretty good.

Attached Files:

16. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

17. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I hope it's real. I don't have many accessories other than my back up battery which wasn't really expensive. I really hope they improve the sound loudness and quality of the speaker.

18. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

Oh how times change. Just a few short years back everyone complained about the proprietary 30-pin connector. Now that it might be on its way out...hold the press!

19. Technarchy, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Get an adaptor and move on with your life. It's not toslink to RCA, so lets not make this out to be some great debilitating feat.

20. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

If you are being real and you actually think apple will come out with a piece of hardware that isn't proprietary, you're nuts man. Apple lives on proprietary. Anyways, I'm sure it's similar to the current thunderbolt connection, as I'm sure they'll be supporting that.

21. MacAgnostic macrumors regular

MacAgnostic

I didn't express an opinion, just made an observation.

BTW, I wasn't aware that iPhones used a PCIe bus to support Thunderbolt.
    I suppose a Thunderbolt port would be cheaper than USB, huh?
    Now where did I put my Thunderbolt to USB cable?

22. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

You have to be kidding. If the new dock connector is real, its one of the best changes Apple has ever made.

23. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

Who says the next one won't be proprietary too?

24. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Well you won't be losing an adaptor if you keep it on your iPhone dock 24/7. And unless you have other, older iDevices that you use on the same accessories, there is no reason why you can't do that.

25. Superbbrr macrumors member

It will be $.99 shipped from China on eBay. Trust me.