If the new dock connector is real...

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
If this redesigned dock connector is real, what are we supposed to do with our docks, especially cars with a built in non removable iPod connector?

Does this mean more dongles and adapters that we can lose? I understand that not all 30 pins are needed, but thanks to the old iPods of the past, now we will have a bunch of useless equipment around the house, and best keep an old iPod around for the car until you feel the need to upgrade your car too, Or find an aftermarket solution to fix that issue.

Also the 30 pin seems to be best for docks as it is sturdy enough to hold the phone upright.

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
A lot of the focus for docks lately has been going to airplay anyways, it'll suck a bit but honestly its not the end of the world. I'm sure someone will come out with a new dock connector to 30 pin adaptor.

Comment

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I imagine Apple or someone will make some sort of adapter, it would definitely be cheaper than having to repurchase everything.

Comment

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Things change sometimes you just have to get over it as its normally for the better especially concerning connections/ports.

VGA - HDMI or in other words itl only get better.

Small connection more room inside for better things.

Edit: like the other guys have mentioned, itl be likely there will be an adapter of sorts to get around such an issue.

Comment

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Although needing an adaptor will be annoying, there is only so much space to fit new/better components within the phone's body. Even though the change will be inconvenient, it is probably for a good reason.

Comment

aleni

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2006
thanks God you're not working in technology research and development, or we all still will be using a huge serial port for printers. time moves on, new stuff becomes old, the transition costs money, but it is better for the future.

Comment

iamjose

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2011
It'll stimulate the economy! You'll have to buy new cords, docks, and cars. IT'S A WIN/WIN.

On a serious note, I hate the idea of a new port but hopefully its a good trade off and leaves room for something else on the inside.

Comment

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
I suppose our older iPods will still connect with those older docks... I have an iPod Nano specifically for my vehicle, and I'm sure most people around the forum have more than a few iPods... No worries here.

Comment

ericDylan

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
I suppose our older iPods will still connect with those older docks... I have an iPod Nano specifically for my vehicle, and I'm sure most people around the forum have more than a few iPods... No worries here.
Yeah that is exactly what i plan to do.. I have more iPods than radio and speaker docks around the house, so I am just going to keep them for that use when i want to listen to music. I do not plan on buying 5 or 6 new speaker docks and radios that are compatible when I get the new iPhone. It will be inconvenient, but I will get used to it.

I will probably cave and get one for my bedroom though, just so I have somewhere to charge it easily.

Comment

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Adapters may work for built-in car docks and radio docks. I started to buy universal audio transmitters that work with 3.5 mm jacks since apple always changes ports and connectors and I figure I might go with a non apple music device or phone at some point. Only problem is that I have to use the phone to control the music instead of car buttons.

Comment

ElZeus

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
I hope they bring out the adapters out in a timely fashion, it would suck to go back to AUX connector with the current "iPod Compatible" head units.

Comment

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I understand that not all 30 pins are needed, but thanks to the old iPods of the past, now we will have a bunch of useless equipment around the house, and best keep an old iPod around for the car until you feel the need to upgrade your car too
Your 30 pin accessories are useful as long as you continue to use your 30 pin devices. Are you replacing all your 30 pin IOS devices as soon as Apple switches?

As for the car, you can upgrade the interface and/or stereo or possibly use an adapter as mentioned above. You don't have to replace the entire car. :rolleyes:

The sky isn't falling just because they're changing the dock connector. It's nothing new for Apple to drop legacy stuff. They've done this many times over the years. If this is a deal breaker for you then you should have done your due diligence before making the purchase.

Also the 30 pin seems to be best for docks as it is sturdy enough to hold the phone upright.
So you've tested the new dock connector already and reached a verdict? or are you just assuming?

Comment

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
I hope it's real. I don't have many accessories other than my back up battery which wasn't really expensive. I really hope they improve the sound loudness and quality of the speaker.

Comment

CosmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wirelessly posted

Oh how times change. Just a few short years back everyone complained about the proprietary 30-pin connector. Now that it might be on its way out...hold the press!

Comment

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Get an adaptor and move on with your life. It's not toslink to RCA, so lets not make this out to be some great debilitating feat.

Last edited:
Comment

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
It looks like a Micro USB fits in there pretty good.
If you are being real and you actually think apple will come out with a piece of hardware that isn't proprietary, you're nuts man. Apple lives on proprietary. Anyways, I'm sure it's similar to the current thunderbolt connection, as I'm sure they'll be supporting that.

Comment

MacAgnostic

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Bellevue, WA
If you are being real and you actually think apple will come out with a piece of hardware that isn't proprietary, you're nuts man. Apple lives on proprietary. Anyways, I'm sure it's similar to the current thunderbolt connection, as I'm sure they'll be supporting that.
I didn't express an opinion, just made an observation.

BTW, I wasn't aware that iPhones used a PCIe bus to support Thunderbolt.
I suppose a Thunderbolt port would be cheaper than USB, huh?
Now where did I put my Thunderbolt to USB cable?

Comment

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
You have to be kidding. If the new dock connector is real, its one of the best changes Apple has ever made.

Comment

shinobi-81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Wirelessly posted

Oh how times change. Just a few short years back everyone complained about the proprietary 30-pin connector. Now that it might be on its way out...hold the press!
Who says the next one won't be proprietary too?

Comment

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
If this redesigned dock connector is real, what are we supposed to do with our docks, especially cars with a built in non removable iPod connector?

Does this mean more dongles and adapters that we can lose? I understand that not all 30 pins are needed, but thanks to the old iPods of the past, now we will have a bunch of useless equipment around the house, and best keep an old iPod around for the car until you feel the need to upgrade your car too, Or find an aftermarket solution to fix that issue.

Well you won't be losing an adaptor if you keep it on your iPhone dock 24/7. And unless you have other, older iDevices that you use on the same accessories, there is no reason why you can't do that.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.