If the only option for iPhone 6 is with a 5.5" screen, would you still upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nlkccom, Sep 26, 2014.

1. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

I guess this question really gears toward iPhone 6 (not 6 Plus) users.

What if there were no options in screen size for the iPhone 6. Just one iPhone 6, and it has the 5.5" screen size. Would you still upgrade?

2. Nickpocalypse macrumors regular

Great question... I probably would have gone for the upgrade, but definitely would have kept my 5 in the event the 6 was too large.

3. Chocomonsters macrumors regular

No. Can you imagine taking out your iPhone 6+ with one hand while biking, skating, skiing, or even running?

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Sadly yes. I cant help myself gotta have the latest :(

As it stands I'm glad we have the 4.7" option because that plus is a beast!

In the future if Apple does something about those bezels and makes it a smaller device overall I would consider it... but its highly doubtful because of the touch id... and god forbid they made the top bezel a little thinner than the bottom... that mismatch would be against everything that Apple stands for :p

5. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Absolutely not. Phones are simple communication devices, not mobile entertainment centres.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Since I already switched away due to the smallest new phone being 4.7 inches there is no way that I would even consider the 5.5 unless there were no smaller android phones either. My hope is that Apple will go back to including a smaller size as an option with the 6S or 7 so I can switch back to iOS when I next need a new phone.

7. planeluvr macrumors newbie

If the Plus was the only option, then yes I would still upgrade.

8. appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

I would not have. As it is, i'm still getting used to the 4.7. It's just about pushing the boundaries for me. completely happy with it... but I think I would have been fine with a 4.5.

9. Nickpocalypse macrumors regular

But they'e not, are they? Smartphones like iPhones nowadays are more powerful than basic computers and they do a huge number of different things. If you go on an app-by-app basis, the "phone" functionality of an iPhone makes up like 0.000018% of the iPhone's total functionality.

If all you want is a simple communication device, there are still options for feature phones that will make calls and texts and cost one whole hell of a lot less than an iPhone or similar smartphone.

So if your above-referenced comment is your position, why are you interested in a place like MacRumors to begin with?

10. quackers82 macrumors 6502

Nope, i would just keep my 5 running and get a new battery put in once its charge goes bad. No way i want a 5.5" phone.

11. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

12. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

I'm not sure... However, if iPhone 6 were 4" model only, I would definitely switch to Sony Z3, LG G3, or Note 4. Wait... G3 and Note 4 are 5.5~5.7". Then, the answer for your question is "yes".:D

13. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Good question! I have not upgraded yet. On my third visit to the Apple store to play with the options. The 6 feels like a nice phone, the 6 Plus feels like a new Mini. Since I have a Mini, I might go with the 6.

But it is an interesting question. If this was the only choice I might not upgrade.

14. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Despite the join date on the left, I signed up to MacRumors at a time when it was a useful source of shared information on G4 desktops and laptops.

A lot has changed over the years, both in terms of technology and membership.

Technologically speaking, I use my iPhone to make and receive phone calls; chat to friends and family via SMS/iMessage/Whatsapp; check a few forums via Tapatalk, do a little light browsing etc. As I said, a 'simple communication device'. Perhaps I should have prefaced that with 'My personal usage is as a...', rather than let the reader infer that for his self. But if someone wants to watch My Little Pony: The Movie on glorious FivePointFiveInch-o-Vision then who am I to disagree with them?

Regarding the membership, it's increasingly partisan, chippy, unhelpful, and downright rude.

15. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Biking will get you a 200$ distracted driving ticket here

Skating I can stop

Skiing I don't think is a smart idea 2 poles and gloves in one hand, Plus you have to unzip you jacket to take the phone out of an inside pocket all this while skiing

Running I can stop.

Any of the above should probably not be done one or 2 handed. I've seen so many people walking into stationary objects while texting.

16. macfoxpro macrumors 6502

17. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

18. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Sounds like any iphone is not for you. Any simple 100-200 android, BB, or windows would work for you.

If you mentioned the Apple ecosystem then I would mentioned a 5C or 5S. Save yourself money and do not get an apple phone, which would have been the case when you had your G4.

19. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Why would you take your phone out in the middle of any of those activities to begin with?

20. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

You say that like that beautiful screen is a bad thing and not a gift!!

21. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

It isn't that big to me. Sure, I would upgrade.

22. Nickpocalypse, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

Nickpocalypse macrumors regular

My apologies if I came off as rude, that was certainly not my intention. Fair enough about your personal use.
    EDIT: My point is that your original comment you said "Phones are simple communication devices, NOT mobile entertainment centers" (emphasis mine, this is not a comment on usage, but the device itself), and for some people they are mobile entertainment centers among many other things. If all you want is a simple communication device, then maybe iPhones aren't for you, given the enormous market of cellphones that exists.

23. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

You're probably right. I'm still driving a 3GS, and in terms of functionality I don't feel that I'm missing out on anything. A few more horses would be nice, and iOS7/8 is very pretty, but actual further functions that I want to use? Nah.

As for the ecosystem, the whole iTunes / App Store / iCloud setup is a mess. It just works until such time as it just doesn't, at which point you realise that you've got zero control over the workflow and there's absolutely no documentation required. As long as contacts and calendars stay synced then I'm happy, but I've got no expectations of Apple beyond that.

No problems. As you've probably gathered, the conflation of mobile and tablet isn't my cup of tea.

I'm coming up 50, which means:

a) I'm an increasingly cantankerous bastard, and

b) I've lived through the Mobile Phone Size Wars, and still remember the first time I saw a mobile which didn't come complete with a briefcase . Nokia 2100s on fire off the shoulder of Orion. So many lives were lost to get phones down to a pocketable size, and I think the resurgence of larger phones is an insult to the fallen.

24. GonzagaDynasty macrumors regular