If there is no pre-order, how should I coordinate this...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by britneyfan, Mar 2, 2012.

1. britneyfan macrumors 6502

I have very important tests the week it should be released and I can't wait in line early in the morning for it. I want to go to the place that will have it and it won't be packed (64 GB Verizon White)

I was thinking the Verizon Store won't be too crowded and will open at a reasonable time and I can send someone else to go pick it up and not make them wait in a tremendously long line because it's not the first place most people think of. Even though you can't pre-order it, I don't think there's going to be a lot of people. I may be completely wrong though. They might not even have one. LOL.

Would this be a good idea? Did anyone do this for the iPad 2? I'm planning ahead, as I've waited so long for this new iPad that I don't want to wait another month to get it.

Thanks for the help guys. I really do appreciate it.

2. Bigyella macrumors member

This answer won't help you, cause no one knows. But I am going to order online, even if you can't preorder. I want the engraving.

3. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Bribery might be your only solution here. Do you have any friends, or know anyone who has friends, working retail? Might be able to have one hidden out back in the stock room for you until you arrive.

Otherwise, you'll either be waiting in a long line early in the morning, or waiting a few weeks. Good luck.

4. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I will order online the minute they become available.
    I'm actually very giddy about the iPad 3 at least so my son tells me.

5. Gorion macrumors member

I thought about getting mine engraved. I think that would make it somewhat harder to sell in the future though..

6. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

You could just wait ... I'd hope that your tests are more important than an iPad.

7. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

It really depends on how Apple play the pre-order thing this time around. iPad 1 had advance pre-orders and people generally got them on the day, iPad 2 orders were a mess.

8. bjmach macrumors 6502

Ordering online for me. Don't mind if I don't get it on release date.

9. yegon, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

yegon macrumors 68020

Same here. I figure if I get my order in within 12 hours of it going up on the store, whatever time of day that may be, at worst I'll get it within a couple of weeks of launch. Fine by me.

Ordered my iPad 1 at about 0430 in the morning when the store went live, got it a day before launch (UK).

10. Markiie, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

People on this website for the most part are techie. Nerdy to some degree. Lets be honest...

On paper we already think this is going to be a huge upgrade over the iPad 2. No doubt about that. Its those who aren't quite familiar with all the lingo. Just have a feeling once the general public sees this thing in action...the hype will be through the roof.

I see major back orders for this thing and its going to be extremely difficult to get one.

11. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Pay attention to your test and order it online.

13. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Try ordering it a little before it's supposed to be available. The ipad 2 was supposedly available before it was scheduled. I plan to start checking a few hours early. Minutes can mean days or weeks when it comes to receiving your order.

----------

The new iPad is waaaay more important than an education.

14. britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll do fine on my tests. I just have to take them.

But I'm definitely getting this thing on launch day.

Did orders start last year at 5 PM? That would be a good thing then. I'd DEFINITELY wait in line at the Apple Store if that was the case.

15. qCzar macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The iPad 2 was released at 5pm. Yes. But, we'll know better on Match 7th. If there are preorders and if not, what time it will be available.

16. britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

17. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

go to your local 711 or home depot. look for groups of latino men standing with the appearance that they are waiting for someone. for a price they will wait in line at the store for you and paint your living room too.

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

FYI, MacRumors archives have lots of info on what happened last year. From a quick search: http://www.macrumors.net/2011/03/10...-100-am-pacific-online-500-pm-local-in-store/

Online orders began around 1am Pacific time, in-store sales began at 5pm local time.

19. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

Me too!

----------

I remember getting up at 3 am to order.

20. Bigyella macrumors member

Not a problem for me. When I get tired of it, I will just give it to a family member. Not worried about resale.

21. identity macrumors 6502

what a racist kkk member we got here...let me guess, you perfer your asian made ipad in white?

22. iEvolution macrumors 65816

If you're talking about picking it up at a store there is a 99% chance that its not going to be available at announcement time at local stores. Usually takes a few weeks to get it from the Apple Store as well.

Just because they are going to announce it on the 7th doesn't mean its available THAT day.

23. calvy macrumors 65816

It's not racism, man, it's reality.

The problem is it only happens in certain parts of the country.

I used to live in Austin, TX. The Home Depot on I-35 at 7am on weekdays you'd see 20 to 30 Mexican immigrants looking for day work. I just about guarantee they'd wait in line all day for $50.

24. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm ordering online. Hoping they do preorders this time around. Worked well with my 4S. Got it on launch day. If they don't do preorders, I won't stand in line. I'll just order online when it's available and get it when I get it.

25. identity macrumors 6502

they're just trying to find jobs like the rest of us. There's no jobs anywhere and atleast it's better than dealing crack or weed. They're no different than people at food pantries who need a little help getting food to eat for their family.

People always say they're taking our jobs but what jobs are they exactly taking? Americans don't want to do farm work or be janitors or dishwashers, these immigrants aren't taking high level jobs, they're taking the dirty hard jobs that most American including myself would never do. It's a lot better here than being killed by drug lords in Mexico.