If there is the iPod touch to iPhone, what is there to Samsung galaxy or LG?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by galaksy, May 25, 2014.

1. galaksy macrumors 6502

Is there a retina android version of iPod touch? (Android phone without the phone function)

2. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Honestly, best answer is to buy a Nexus 5 and just don't activate it as a phone.

3. galaksy, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014

galaksy thread starter macrumors 6502

If there is the iPod touch to iPhone, what is there to Samsung galaxy or LG?

But that's $400+! I am thinking along the lines of iPod touch that cost $220. I think that's good deal

$285 is a fair price too for 32gb iPod touch. But going over $400 if you don't want to use it as a phone seems a bit too much.

4. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

It's not exactly a burgeoning market right now. If anything, it's dwindling quarter by quarter. iPods still sell, but those are the exceptions.

Samsung used to have the Galaxy Player, but guess what? No one bought it. Dell had one as well, but just like the Galaxy it didn't move any units.

Keep in mind also the reason iPods are cheap is that they're basically generations-old hardware. So you might as well go buy a Nexus 4 or Galaxy S3.

5. galaksy thread starter macrumors 6502

I think they will buy it if they offer a retina version of galaxy player

6. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

If Samsung thought they could make money from it, they would make it. It's possible they do make one, but only sell it in S. Korea.

7. N3wbi3 macrumors newbie

If you're looking for an Android version of the iPod Touch the Moto G costs $179 - $199 and seems to give you a much better value since you could actually use it as a phone if you wanted to later down the line, it has a gps chip for offline navigation apps, and a noise canceling microphone for better call clarity you make Skype calls over wifi.

8. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I forgot about the Moto G. Agreed 100%!

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The iPod touch is a nice product when it was released but the market is beyond that now and there's really no room for a company to produce one and make money.

I think Sony is still trying it with their walkman but its not really doing so well AFAIK.

The only folks getting iPod touches at this point are kids who cannot afford or do not warrant a cell phone. I thought of an iPod touch for my kids but why buy one now when in a couple of years they will be old enough to have a cell phone anyways.

10. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

I believe the Galaxy Player was discontinued wasn't it?

11. galaksy thread starter macrumors 6502

12. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

It has a 4.5in 720p display, so yes, definitely a sharp display.

13. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

720p on a 4.5" display, has a PPI basically identical to the iPhone/iPod Touch. It's actually quite a better value than an iPod Touch--cheaper yet it's a full functioning phone (if needed, of course) and the revised model now has expandable memory up to 32GB.

14. galaksy thread starter macrumors 6502

15. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Yes, with a card like this.

16. galaksy thread starter macrumors 6502

17. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Samsung had the galaxy player. Don't know if they still make it. And I'm pretty sure it runs 2.3

The market for dedicated MP3 players is starting to dwindle with streaming services and most people having a smartphone.

You can get devices like the Lumia 520, Moto E and Moto G and just not put a sim card in them and use them as an MP3 player. The only action my iPod touch these days is as an alarm, jogging companion on a rare occasion and as a youtube player laying in bed. Sometimes I'll use it for web searches if it is near by.

18. galaksy thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I would prefer the windows 8 of lumia, but does lumia have a sharp screen?

19. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

It isn't razor sharp but it isn't very pixelated either. Not as good as the 5th gen touch or the Moto G

20. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

There's no point to something like the Galaxy Player when you can buy Android smartphones for the same price or less without contract. The only reason the iPod Touch still exists is because Apple doesn't offer an iPhone in that price range and for some folks, there's intrinsic value to iOS.

Keep in mind, the first batch of Moto G's don't have microSD card slots. You'd need to get the latest release ($220) for that.

Moto G LTE w/microSD card slot:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K0NRZSW/

21. bmxracer macrumors member

bmxracer

Does the Lumia 520 have a gps chip for the offline apps?

22. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I have a Lumia 520. Picked it up new for $60. It's a terrific device. But if you are looking for an iPod Touch-like experience, you'll need to look to Android. In my experience, Windows Phone has difficulties managing ID3 metadata tags... very finicky...with the built-in music player. There aren't enough alternatives in the WP app store to find one that works well.

23. galaksy thread starter macrumors 6502

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Lumia-U...UTF8&qid=1401127449&sr=1-6&keywords=lumia+520

I see that it is about $120 for unlocked Lumia 520. Can you also replace the 8GB here with the cheap external 32GB card?

----------

As long has it has ePub reader and/or Kindle app, and a browser I think I will be fine with it. There are some Windows application that is not available on iOS or Android that you could use it.

Can you play .flac on there too? How does it compare in sound quality to the iPhone 5?

24. Vegastouch, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I have a Nexus 5 and have used it many times to play music and still do, like i did with my GS3 when i had it. I also still use my 1st Gen iPod touch that is louder than my N5 and still sounds very good. Lately ive been using that and this little player below i found in one of my drawers that i got years ago and it too sounds pretty good and it is much smaller than my phone or iPod.

[​IMG]

25. galaksy thread starter macrumors 6502

Did you buy the unlocked one?